What's Everyone Listening To?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Re: What's Everyone Listening To?

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:ImageImage
Thoughts on the Petty? I've never been much of a fan but I've been hearing everything from his it's his best in a long time to how bad it is. Still need to check out Blackberry Smoke...
I like the Petty; I agree it's some of his best in years. I suspect those who don't like it prefer the mid-90's Petty, this is more garagey and raw guitar sounding; similar to the Mudcrutch record, but better-written and harder songs. The Blackberry Smoke is great, Southern rock the way Skynyrd et al used to play it.
More Doyle!
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Now streaming at NPR. Click on the image to link to the stream.

DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by DAB »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Went to redeem a download for the Temperance League's new record (Rock n' Roll Dreams) today and upon checking "Recently Added" in iTunes I found the new U2 instead. I'm only 4 songs in but so far, so good. By the way, I finally got the Temperance League record to download by rebooting iTunes. And this explains how the new U2 ended up in iTunes.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Went to redeem a download for the Temperance League's new record (Rock n' Roll Dreams) today and upon checking "Recently Added" in iTunes I found the new U2 instead. I'm only 4 songs in but so far, so good. By the way, I finally got the Temperance League record to download by rebooting iTunes. And this explains how the new U2 ended up in iTunes.

I'm enjoying this very much, actually.
More Doyle!
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PeretHed66 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Went to redeem a download for the Temperance League's new record (Rock n' Roll Dreams) today and upon checking "Recently Added" in iTunes I found the new U2 instead. I'm only 4 songs in but so far, so good. By the way, I finally got the Temperance League record to download by rebooting iTunes. And this explains how the new U2 ended up in iTunes.

Same here. The only record I've skipped of theirs is No Line On the Horizon but that's not because I don't like it, it's simply because I never got around to purchasing it. The USA Today review I linked to mentions how the new one is somewhat reminiscent of early U2 in parts. I agree. The bombast of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" may not be there but the ambience of early records such as Boy, October and War are certainly present. At least that's my first impression. I'm going to have to spend more time with it.
VanillaGrl
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Guinness - Heaven in a Pint!

Post by VanillaGrl »

I'm loving this one so much. The personal influences of the band are quite obvious in the lyrics and the sound, the lyrics are quite captivating. I'm also amused by the title, as I see a bit of 'dark' behind the 'Innocence'. I do see/hear a lot of 'old school' U2 in it as well. While I liked their last 2 albums, this one in my opinion, is better. Can't wait for a tour.
KK :wench:
PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

VanillaGrl wrote:Image

I'm loving this one so much. The personal influences of the band are quite obvious in the lyrics and the sound, the lyrics are quite captivating. I'm also amused by the title, as I see a bit of 'dark' behind the 'Innocence'. I do see/hear a lot of 'old school' U2 in it as well. While I liked their last 2 albums, this one in my opinion, is better. Can't wait for a tour.

The liner notes wouldn't download correctly for me (I hate the way iTunes manages files), but I did find a copy online; Bono's notes illuminate the inspiration for all the songs - they all tie back to the band's early days.

Per this story on Rolling Stone, looks like they'll be releasing a companion/follow up called "Songs of Experience" at some point.

http://origin.rollingstone.com/music/ne ... s-20140910
More Doyle!
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Tiki Torches wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:

Same here. The only record I've skipped of theirs is No Line On the Horizon but that's not because I don't like it, it's simply because I never got around to purchasing it. The USA Today review I linked to mentions how the new one is somewhat reminiscent of early U2 in parts. I agree. The bombast of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" may not be there but the ambience of early records such as Boy, October and War are certainly present. At least that's my first impression. I'm going to have to spend more time with it.
Good call IMO. As you stated & same here, just a brief taste so far. Yet to slam it down & give it 100% full attention but promising at this point. No big anthem type tunes like we've been accustomed to the last few albums, but seems to be well balanced.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »