Ralph Nader

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

Ilph wrote:I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say news outlets, Fox News leading the way for conservative news.
I wouldn't call them conservative although because they don't report things the liberal way that is what they get labeled. What I would say is they report the news the most fair, unbiased and accurate!
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Key Lime Lee »

Ilph wrote: I've learned you have to watch what you read in the papers, also. A lot of papers have liberal or conservative slants. I'll take my news with a grain of salt, please.
Me too, but newspapers generally provide enough information about their sources to allow you to make a judgement about a claim's validity, unlike the Israeli site.
Ilph wrote: Yeah, when I heard that I had to scratch my head. What reasoning is Kerry using?
I haven't seen a quote attributed to Kerry where he says his voting record doesn't matter... not that it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it.

However, voting records are misleading in the age of omnibus bills and irrelevent amendments tacked on to bills. The RNC released a list of all of the weapons systems that Kerry supposedly voted against. Some were weapons systems that the Republican party and Dick Cheney himself wanted eliminated, and others were merely part of larger spending packages, not specific votes against a weapons system. In fact at the time, Cheney even criticized congress for not making DEEPER cuts into the weapons systems in question.

It goes both ways... but voting records, like the media, need to be taken with a grain of salt. Personally I read a diversity of sources (liberal and conservative) to guarantee a broader perspective. And if I'm concerned about someone's voting record, I'd research to make sure that the "vote against education" wasn't really anti-abortion legislature that happened to have an educational amendment tacked on for political purposes.
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...

Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

12vmanRick wrote:
Ilph wrote:I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say news outlets, Fox News leading the way for conservative news.
I wouldn't call them conservative although because they don't report things the liberal way that is what they get labeled. What I would say is they report the news the most fair, unbiased and accurate!
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that Fox News is unbiased, but they do definately veer away from the liberal agendas.

Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

Key Lime Lee wrote:
Ilph wrote: I've learned you have to watch what you read in the papers, also. A lot of papers have liberal or conservative slants. I'll take my news with a grain of salt, please.
Me too, but newspapers generally provide enough information about their sources to allow you to make a judgement about a claim's validity, unlike the Israeli site.
Ilph wrote: Yeah, when I heard that I had to scratch my head. What reasoning is Kerry using?
I haven't seen a quote attributed to Kerry where he says his voting record doesn't matter... not that it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it.

However, voting records are misleading in the age of omnibus bills and irrelevent amendments tacked on to bills. The RNC released a list of all of the weapons systems that Kerry supposedly voted against. Some were weapons systems that the Republican party and Dick Cheney himself wanted eliminated, and others were merely part of larger spending packages, not specific votes against a weapons system. In fact at the time, Cheney even criticized congress for not making DEEPER cuts into the weapons systems in question.

It goes both ways... but voting records, like the media, need to be taken with a grain of salt. Personally I read a diversity of sources (liberal and conservative) to guarantee a broader perspective. And if I'm concerned about someone's voting record, I'd research to make sure that the "vote against education" wasn't really anti-abortion legislature that happened to have an educational amendment tacked on for political purposes.
I think the best disposition when dealing with politics is to know going in that both sides have things that you won't agree with from the past and present. To use an old adage - the lesser of two evils. Sad but true.

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

Ilph wrote:
Key Lime Lee wrote:

I think the best disposition when dealing with politics is to know going in that both sides have things that you won't agree with from the past and present. To use an old adage - the lesser of two evils. Sad but true.
hey didn't I say that pretty much earlier :D and OK maybe Fox isn't unbiased.. :wink:

Enjoying the friendly debate here too.. oh.. and your input too LEE heeehee
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.

Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song

Post by Key Lime Lee »

12vmanRick wrote:
Enjoying the friendly debate here too.. oh.. and your input too LEE heeehee
:P

No margarita for you. :) :)
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...

buffettfanforever
Southeast of disorder

like Kerry really has a chance when his record is shown

Post by buffettfanforever »

like Kerry really has a chance when his record is shown. i dont see how anybody with any bit of intelligence what so ever expects people to take him serious when everybody sees his record. if the democratic party was serious about making this country better they would stay away from the people thats gonna hurt them and give them a bad reputation and turn to the ones that really wants to help this country and believe in morals instead of using it for their own advantage.
From Admin: You need to update your email address in your profile and then change your signature line