What are YOU reading?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: What are YOU reading?

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

pbans wrote:Image
I'm curious to see how you like it. It did nothing for me...much like those Dragon Tattoo books.
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

Not a happy subject matter, but one I felt compelled to read:

I bought a Reader's Digest for the first time in years to read to/from Hawaii. This was the book excerpt. After reading that, I immediately ordered the book. Rocky Flats has haunted my family for decades. I spent several weeks every other year in the late 60's and thru the 70's visiting my cousins in Boulder. My aunt died of cancer in 1976. EVERY HOUSE on their street was affected by cancer or other debilitating illnesses (ALS for one). While they weren't downwind of Rocky Flats like other communities, the rumors and hushed investigations going on after my aunt died certainly had us worried, but no one would talk. My uncle and other families were contacted by professors and others researching issues related to RF, but then they'd never hear from these people again. One cousin had serious health issues when she was a kid that cost her a kidney. Even now they aren't out of the woods, since it can take 30+ years for cancer to show up in the people exposed to the plutonium from RF. I'm halfway through the book and ready to head to Colorado to get a soil sample from their old house. Rocky Flats was and always will be bad news, and I fear for the health of my family and friends who lived or still live in areas that will always be contaminated.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Have hit a dry spell, save for "Shadow of Night," which is the followup of "A Discovery of Witches." It's set for release next Tuesday. Loved the beginning and end. The middle was sluggish ... too many characters introduced who really did nothing to drive the plot (except for a few Elizabethan witches). Did enjoying meeting Matthew's father. Ending was heart-pounding and it's going to be a long wait for the third/final installment.

Lots of trash being released this summer. Haven't been able to get past a first 50 pages of many. Didn't even get through the fifth sentence in THE CUTTING SEASON. Blogged about it if you're curious.

http://www.myssnews.com/blogs/the-arts/ ... -book.html

Where are editors and fact checkers these days? Absent from the titles I've been reading, that's for sure. :-?

Have ordered the new Tana French ... and am supposed to get a copy of Sissy Spacek's memoir.

Have also listened to "A Discovery of Witches," my first audiobook in a long time. Am enjoying it, but, then I loved the book!
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

bermudamel wrote:Just finished the 50 Shades trilogy :roll: and now reading Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich. Hoping its better than the 18th Plum book was!
I gave up on Evanovich at about 9 ... let me know how this one is. Thanks.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
Captain Kid
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 24

Post by Captain Kid »

Chasing the Gator - Funniest golf book in a long time. An easy fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Gator-Tim ... 1439240388
Captain Kid
"and once again, Fingers Taylor back in Cincinnati..."
bermudamel
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Growing Older but Not Up
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Midori Sour

Post by bermudamel »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
bermudamel wrote:Just finished the 50 Shades trilogy :roll: and now reading Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich. Hoping its better than the 18th Plum book was!
I probably should have gave up then....but I did laugh out loud several times at Eleven on Top. After that, it went downhill til about 16, then 17 was bad and 18 was just an insult to the readers. I can't even begin to describe how bad it was and how it was just pushed out the same year as 17 to make an extra buck riding on the story from 17 when it didn't go in the direction in should have.

The new series, the Diesel books (he was in the Plum in between books) aren't bad. The first was Wicked Appetite, I liked it as a quick read, and just finished Wicked Business the 2nd one. It was funny in a few parts and overall I did enjoy it.
johnson2113
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary

Post by johnson2113 »

I haven't read anything in a while, I need to get some new stuff. I went though all the Jack Reacher novels and then tonight I see that Tom Cruise is playing Reacher. Anyone read those, any thoughts. :lol:
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

bermudamel wrote:
I probably should have gave up then....but I did laugh out loud several times at Eleven on Top. After that, it went downhill til about 16, then 17 was bad and 18 was just an insult to the readers. I can't even begin to describe how bad it was and how it was just pushed out the same year as 17 to make an extra buck riding on the story from 17 when it didn't go in the direction in should have.

The new series, the Diesel books (he was in the Plum in between books) aren't bad. The first was Wicked Appetite, I liked it as a quick read, and just finished Wicked Business the 2nd one. It was funny in a few parts and overall I did enjoy it.
Thanks for the tip ... always looking for a good read. They're getting scarce as hen's teeth.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Tequila Revenge wrote:Image
Please let me know what you think. I read FREEDOM. Thanks!
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

DAB wrote:I've just read Just kids by Patti Smith about her life with Robert Mapplethorpe. It's a great read especially if you are a fan of Robert Mapplethorpe, and I have a bit of an obsession with the Chelsea Hotel.
I enjoyed the hell out of this book, great read, great time capsule of a powerful time in NYC.

On another note, just finished John Irving's new novel "In One Person". In a word, no. He's written so many other books that deal with similar themes (I'll save the spoiler about what makes this book different) that you've read them or you haven't and youshould read them way before this one.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Is this a new one? Have not been reading Sunday Times for months -- which is where I hear about new books. Loved Freedom and The Corrections.
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Such a good book. Sissy and I were twirlers for rival marching bands ... and shared a guitar teacher. We knew she was going to be a star even back then. She had "it." Cut her long straight hair into a Diana Ross bi-level bob. Her style is as warm and lovely as you would expect a girl from Northeast Texas. :D
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
I'm curious to see how you like it. It did nothing for me...much like those Dragon Tattoo books.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.....I don't love it I don't hate it.....I have no desire to see the movie so far.....
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

So far so good. I share some of Franzen's passions for the natural world, environmental issues and birds, so I'm obviously sort of biased on his content. But I am very interested on your thoughts about FREEDOM and how you think it stacks up compared to other, "great American novels..."
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

sistergoldenhair wrote:
Is this a new one? Have not been reading Sunday Times for months -- which is where I hear about new books. Loved Freedom and The Corrections.
NY Times wrote their review in May: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/books ... wanted=all Part of the joy for me in finding this book is our community actually had a brand new independent bookstore open up and, "Farther Away," was on their new arrivals shelf. :D
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Tequila Revenge wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
NY Times wrote their review in May: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/books ... wanted=all Part of the joy for me in finding this book is our community actually had a brand new independent bookstore open up and, "Farther Away," was on their new arrivals shelf. :D
Thanks for the link. Interesting. IMHO, Franzen is a writer who examines and exposes modern American social mores much in the way that Jonathan Swift did in his time, in England. Also reminds me of Jane Austen, although her portrayals of people and their affectations and artifice were more forgiving. I am also a big fan of Joyce Carol Oates, who I feel also has great insight into what makes us tick as a society. But in addition to laying bare the darkness and the possibility for redemption that we all carry within us, both Oates and Franzen have the gift of writing compelling stories, page turners. Joseph Heller comes to mind, also Kurt Vonegutt (and maybe Clifford Irving before he went Hollywood), but Franzen is soooo much more thorough, IMO! So sad about David Foster Wallace. I tried to read Infinite Jest, but honestly it was too convoluted for my feeble little brain! But I have read and enjoyed a few of his essays ... At any rate, Franzen is an island of substance in a sea of pap at this point in modern "literature ..." HOWEVER I am not as widely read as I would like to be, esp. with regard to contemporary novels, so mine is not such a well-informed opinion ... Plan on reading Unbroken this summer; has anyone read that yet? (I definitely will read Farther Away; it seems like it is right in my wheelhouse!)
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

sistergoldenhair wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:
Thanks for the link. Interesting. IMHO, Franzen is a writer who examines and exposes modern American social mores much in the way that Jonathan Swift did in his time, in England. Also reminds me of Jane Austen, although her portrayals of people and their affectations and artifice were more forgiving. I am also a big fan of Joyce Carol Oates, who I feel also has great insight into what makes us tick as a society. But in addition to laying bare the darkness and the possibility for redemption that we all carry within us, both Oates and Franzen have the gift of writing compelling stories, page turners. Joseph Heller comes to mind, also Kurt Vonegutt (and maybe Clifford Irving before he went Hollywood), but Franzen is soooo much more thorough, IMO! So sad about David Foster Wallace. I tried to read Infinite Jest, but honestly it was too convoluted for my feeble little brain! But I have read and enjoyed a few of his essays ... At any rate, Franzen is an island of substance in a sea of pap at this point in modern "literature ..." HOWEVER I am not as widely read as I would like to be, esp. with regard to contemporary novels, so mine is not such a well-informed opinion ... Plan on reading Unbroken this summer; has anyone read that yet? (I definitely will read Farther Away; it seems like it is right in my wheelhouse!)
I think you're in for a treat [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

popcornjack wrote:
DAB wrote:I've just read Just kids by Patti Smith about her life with Robert Mapplethorpe. It's a great read especially if you are a fan of Robert Mapplethorpe, and I have a bit of an obsession with the Chelsea Hotel.
I enjoyed the hell out of this book, great read, great time capsule of a powerful time in NYC.

On another note, just finished John Irving's new novel "In One Person". In a word, no. He's written so many other books that deal with similar themes (I'll save the spoiler about what makes this book different) that you've read them or you haven't and youshould read them way before this one.
Huge John Irving fan, but his last couple have left me wanting.......and re-reading Water Method Man or Hotel New Hampshire.
Paige in Utah
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

pbans wrote:
Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.....I don't love it I don't hate it.....I have no desire to see the movie so far.....
Finished it last night, Kat......found it to be horribly depressing. May be my current state of mind, just getting over being sick.....but it was depressing and predictable. I knew from the minute the elephant came.....what was going to happen. The only character that I really felt was "developed" was Walter......I liked him, probably because he had a jack russell terrier.... :wink:
Paige in Utah