Sail on Ronald Reagan

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Ronald Reagan wrote:Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will report that I appeal to your best hopes not your worst fears, to your confidence rather than your doubts, and may all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never, never lose your natural, god-given optimism.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Ronald Reagan wrote:Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will report that I appeal to your best hopes not your worst fears, to your confidence rather than your doubts, and may all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never, never lose your natural, god-given optimism.
Amen, and thanks SGH.

Sail on, Ronnie, it's been a lovely cruise :(

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I'm going to ramble for a minute, too.

A couple of things about Reagan's presidency stand out for me. First of all, I'll never forget sitting in class at the U.S. Naval Academy, knowing that Reagan's inauguration was going on just a few miles down the road, but all on the edge of our seats waiting for more important news. That morning, our classmate had been whisked away and put on a plane for Germany. His father was one of the hostages in Tehran....... We knew the fact that he'd been sent to Germany probably meant that the hostages were about to be released. And sure enough....

Ronald Reagan had an awful lot to do with restoring pride in our country. It felt good to be an American again.

Then, in March of 81...... Our coach had a new puppy.... She had named him "Reagan." We were walking back from practice when word spread across campus: "Reagan's been shot!" One girl, thinking only about our little world, asked, "Who would shoot a little puppy????" Well, not exactly.....

Ronald Reagan was supposed to be our graduation speaker, but there were credible threats against his life at the time, and the Secret Service couldn't secure the stadium well enough, so they decided it wasn't safe for him to be there.....

Just rambling, here....
Thank you Jen.....I appreciate your ramblings.....

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:Sail on, Ronnie, it's been a lovely cruise :(
It's funny.... I see no disrespect in other people referring to him as "Ronnie," but I can't.

He was my Commander-in-Chief. If he'd ordered me into harm's way, I wouldn't have had a second's hesitation. To me, he'll always be "Mr. President," or "Sir," or "Ronald Reagan" or even "RWR," but never "Ronnie"... :)

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Brown Eyed Girl wrote:Sail on, Ronnie, it's been a lovely cruise :(
It's funny.... I see no disrespect in other people referring to him as "Ronnie," but I can't.

He was my Commander-in-Chief. If he'd ordered me into harm's way, I wouldn't have had a second's hesitation. To me, he'll always be "Mr. President," or "Sir," or "Ronald Reagan" or even "RWR," but never "Ronnie"... :)
Same with me Jen...He was THE Commander-in-Chief. I can think of only one way to send off such a great leader.
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor

Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song

Post by Key Lime Lee »

It's so odd because, as someone who became politically aware during the Reagan Administration my impressions of the man and the leader are so completely opposite to everything that's been said here.

Regardless, alzheimers is a brutal disease and whether I respected the man or not, no one should have to go that way.

I certainly feel for his family and my thoughts are with those of you to whom he was a hero.
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...

iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

Key Lime Lee wrote:It's so odd because, as someone who became politically aware during the Reagan Administration my impressions of the man and the leader are so completely opposite to everything that's been said here.
It's nostalgia... for a time that wasn't necessarily perfect, but a lot different (and many think better) than now. I liked his ideology... I wish our politicians today could work in the same manner he did. He wasn't perfect either, but I'd take a million Reagans over a single Clinton. :-?

As I watched the funeral procession last night in the Capital rotunda, Peter Jennings reminded the audience that Nancy is 82 years old. God bless her for the strength she's showing right now. I hope to have half the courage she has when I'm her age. She amazes and astounds me.
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

wKLLs

diamonddan
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by diamonddan »

It was an outstanding service to a great American.

I almost lost it when Mrs Reagan reached out and touched the flag.

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

Key Lime Lee wrote:It's so odd because, as someone who became politically aware during the Reagan Administration my impressions of the man and the leader are so completely opposite to everything that's been said here.

Don't you have a bad impression of every conservative?

Key Lime Lee

Post by Key Lime Lee »

Hoosier PH wrote:
Haven't met or heard them all so... no. I form my impressions one at a time based on words and actions, not on generalizations.

ccabsolut01
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by ccabsolut01 »

Sail on, Mr President...

You will be missed..

brettsky
Under My Lone Palm

Post by brettsky »

He made most of our country proud again.

Thanks Mr. president
Image< --------Brettsky

Caribbean Soul Man
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Reggae Accident
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: 10 Cane Rum on ice

Post by Caribbean Soul Man »

Key Lime Lee wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
Haven't met or heard them all so... no. I form my impressions one at a time based on words and actions, not on generalizations.
Actions? - I don't have any idea how old you are so I don't want to make assumptions about your perspective, but I know my kids don't go to bed at night worrying about Soviet missiles or Soviet leaders or Soviet ANYTHING the way I sometimes did during the later days of the Cold War. You can thank President Reagan for that. Some scholars would argue that the fall of Soviet communism and the eastern block was inevitable. Perhaps, but one thing is for sure, President Reagan and his steadfast will not to simply "contain" the Soviets but to defeat them certainly accelerated their demise dramatically. He won the Cold War without firing a shot.

He changed the whole mindset for the positive, not just in America but all over the world. He pulled us out of the dark hole we were in following Viet Nam, Nixon / Watergate, the Carter years of recession with 13% inflation rates, 18% interest rates, a fictitious energy crisis, etc. Yes, I remember 18% interest rates. He brought respect back to the US Military, integrity back to the Whitehouse, and revived our Nation's economy by passing tax relief much the way JFK did it in the early '60s.

He did all this while his political opponents were in control of both the House and the Senate! By reducing taxes, the frequency of transactions which generate tax revenue went up tremendously and tax revenues doubled. The budget deficits during the Reagan years resulted from Congress increasing spending faster than revenues were growing. Remember, Congress is the government body which appropriates spending, not the President.

When he ran for re-election in 1984, he asked one simple question - "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" If not, he said, then I've obviously failed you and you should seek a new leader. But if you are, I ask you to vote for me and together, we'll continue to make this country as great as we all know it can be. The result was a complete landslide with all but one state voting overwhelmingly to give President Reagan 4 more years.

I've intentionally tried to avoid partisan sounding comments here and stick to historical facts. Most people who are old enough to remember the America that President Reagan inherited and the America that he handed back over after 8 years of his leadership will agree that he left it in tremendously better shape. Whether we know it or not, all of us are beneficiaries of this great man. :wink:
you can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day if you don't start in the morning 8)

...I'm just tryin' to get by, being quiet and shy, in this world full of pushin' and shove...

Key Lime Lee

Post by Key Lime Lee »

Caribbean Soul Man wrote:Whether we know it or not, all of us are beneficiaries of this great man. :wink:
On that we clearly disagree.

My perspective is not partisan and is also based on facts and first-hand experience. But this is not the time for that discussion.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Key Lime Lee wrote:
Caribbean Soul Man wrote:Whether we know it or not, all of us are beneficiaries of this great man. :wink:
On that we clearly disagree.

My perspective is not partisan and is also based on facts and first-hand experience. But this is not the time for that discussion.
Thank you, Lee!!!

If y'all want to have a political discussion, have at it. But please start a different thread, and leave this thread as a tribute to an American who loved his country and bore a *horrible* disease with dignity.

Thanks!

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Caribbean Soul Man
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Reggae Accident
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: 10 Cane Rum on ice

Post by Caribbean Soul Man »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Thank you, Lee!!!

If y'all want to have a political discussion, have at it. But please start a different thread, and leave this thread as a tribute to an American who loved his country and bore a *horrible* disease with dignity.

Thanks!
Did I miss something SGH? I see no political discussion here. Just a simple reply summarizing some of President Reagan's many accomplishments (actions). I am in agreement with you that this is a tribute thread and that is the purpose of my posting...to pay tribute to a great leader and to keep it positive
you can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day if you don't start in the morning 8)

...I'm just tryin' to get by, being quiet and shy, in this world full of pushin' and shove...

Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything to put me in a Tropical frame of mind
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Rum and oh YES RUM

Post by Sidew13 »

I agree with Jen. Leave this thread as a rememberance thread to President Ronald W. Reagan.

Even I could see the political debate starting.
Thank you KLL for being reserve.
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image

MojosMama
Hoot!
Location: Across from the bar...with a pile of beer cans that's been there 27 years

Post by MojosMama »

My daughter was adopted from Russia. Thank you President Reagan. Sail on..........you are whole again.......

diamonddan
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by diamonddan »

For those of you at work (like me) yahoo.com has free live video of today's services.