Thinking about a new direction:

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MelliJellyBean
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Thinking about a new direction:

Post by MelliJellyBean »

I am thinking about looking for a new job - I'm hoping my BN friends will keep their eyes and ears open if they hear of any good opportunties. I'm willing to relocate and just start over really.

Option 1: Find a new job
Option 2: Go get my masters
Option 3: Military
Option 4: Peace Corp

What would you choose?
Last edited by MelliJellyBean on January 28, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I'd go with find a new job. I can't get my masters because I haven't finished my bachelors. If I had my bachelors though, I'd get my masters.
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Doing #3 or #4, just to "get a new start" is really a bad idea. These things are huge commitments, and IMO should only be undertaken for one reason - because that's what you really want to do. Remember, there's a huge difference between wanting to do something and just not wanting to do what you're doing now.

Did that make any sense at all???
MelliJellyBean
At the Bama Breeze

Post by MelliJellyBean »

buffettbride wrote:I'd go with find a new job. I can't get my masters because I haven't finished my bachelors. If I had my bachelors though, I'd get my masters.
Well I already have my bachelors in Journalism - so I"m figuring I need to continue my education, but I'm not quite sure what I'm going to get my Masters in. I don't think I want to do journalism....i'm thinking either Park & Rec or Creative Writing
Last edited by MelliJellyBean on January 28, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Re: Thinking about a new direction:

Post by Gulfbreeze »

MelliJellyBean wrote:I am thinking about looking for a new job - I'm hoping my BN friends will keep their eyes and ears open if they hear of any good opportunties. I'm will to relocate and just start over really.

What would you choose?
First of all, STOP thinking about it and, pardon the cliche', just do it. A few years back I got so fed up with the snow, cold, and crud of the MN winters, I loaded my motorcycle in a trailer the day after Christmas and headed SxSE and this is where I ended up. Time is of the essence....now, Now, NOW!!!!!

And I'd rule out the Peace Corp...no pay and living in third world countries somehow doesn't do it for me...
PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Impossible to pick just 1 Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Beloxi
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything at Louie's
Location: Somewhere between the sun and the moon, (Boston/Key West)

Post by PARROT HEAD MIKE »

MelliJellyBean wrote:I am thinking about looking for a new job - I'm hoping my BN friends will keep their eyes and ears open if they hear of any good opportunties. I'm will to relocate and just start over really.

What would you choose?
How old are you? Not that really matters much but things are easier to do when you are younger with no commitments or a career. A friend of mine moved to Marathon Key just after college and was a scuba diving instructor for a year or so, he lived in a trailor and made it down to Key West now and then. A few years ago when 4 of us friends wnet to Key West for vaca we drove from Ft. Lauderdale (the girls in Miami are great stop at South Beach) to Marathon, stayed on a house boat and went diving, then drove to Key West. We were all around 30 at the time and had jobs we didn't want to just up and quit but if I could have I would have moved down there for a year or so. I look at my friend and he had a great experience in doing so don't think about it just do it so you don't regret not doing it.
ImageImage
PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Impossible to pick just 1 Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Beloxi
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything at Louie's
Location: Somewhere between the sun and the moon, (Boston/Key West)

Post by PARROT HEAD MIKE »

MelliJellyBean wrote:
buffettbride wrote:I'd go with find a new job. I can't get my masters because I haven't finished my bachelors. If I had my bachelors though, I'd get my masters.
Well I already have my bachelors in Journalism - so I"m figuring I need to continue my education, but I'm not quite sure what I'm going to get my Masters in. I don't think I want to do journalism....i'm thinking either Park & Rec or Creative Writing
I got it :o :o Move to key West and write for one of thier newspapers. It is always warm there and it never snows. :pirate: :pirate:
ImageImage
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

rednekkPH wrote:Doing #3 or #4, just to "get a new start" is really a bad idea. These things are huge commitments, and IMO should only be undertaken for one reason - because that's what you really want to do. Remember, there's a huge difference between wanting to do something and just not wanting to do what you're doing now.

Did that make any sense at all???

Better then I could have put it.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.
a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

MelliJellyBean wrote:
I got a buddy that has a doctorate in Creative Writing and some type of poetry. He was lucky to get a job for the Red Cross teaching training classes. He has had a hard time finding work outside of teaching.
CUparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: Wild Turkey and Coke

Post by CUparrot »

Come on down to Tiger Town for a Master's degree in parks, recreation and tourism management. Clemson has one of the best PRTM degree programs in the country.

http://www.hehd.clemson.edu/PRTM/generalGrad.htm

:D

(Hey, I work here....gotta do my part to recruit quality students!)
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

MelliJellyBean wrote:
Creative writing would seem to be a good match with journalism. :wink:
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

MelliJellyBean wrote:Option 1: Find a new job

What would you choose?
Well, I'm a huge proponent of furthering your education. But, I don't necessarily think you should stop working to get a graduate degree. Work experience is just as important as an advanced degree... in combination, they benefit you more. You may want to start looking for a new gig that will pay for you to go back to school. When picking a graduate program, you should really look at not only what you are interested in, but what the program offers you. I was pigeonholed after getting my bachelor's degree, but with my public services graduate degree I have zillions of career paths I can choose from. (Journalism and creative writing are somewhat narrow... maybe a graduate program in the broader subject of fine arts.) Therefore, with my degree if I burn out in one field in 5-10 years, I can move more easily into another career... or go back to school again. :D

And btw... the Peace Corps is a much bigger commitment than you could ever imagine. I go to school with quite a few people that did it. It's very noble, but Frank's right... if you really wanted to do that, you would know it and it wouldn't just be an "option".
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
MelliJellyBean
At the Bama Breeze

Post by MelliJellyBean »

thanks for the ideas guys. I'm 26 and I've been graduated for 3 years. Single, no kids, one dog, one cat and a boyfriend, so I don't have alot tying me down.

I've become pretty unhappy with my job as of late and it's really bugging me - it's not the same place I started working at with all the staff changes. Gosh - it's overwhelming to even begin thinking about looking for a job.

peace corp was an idea i had a long time ago, but I don't think I want to leave the country. *sigh*
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

MelliJellyBean wrote:thanks for the ideas guys. I'm 26 and I've been graduated for 3 years. Single, no kids, one dog, one cat and a boyfriend, so I don't have alot tying me down.

I've become pretty unhappy with my job as of late and it's really bugging me - it's not the same place I started working at with all the staff changes. Gosh - it's overwhelming to even begin thinking about looking for a job.

peace corp was an idea i had a long time ago, but I don't think I want to leave the country. *sigh*
Sell your s*** and move to Mexico.

Then tell me what kind of jobs are available there.
redwinemaker
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by redwinemaker »

Use Option 1 as a means to provide Option 2. And while you are at it add Option 5: Travel the world! Trust me after marriage and kids, it becomes difficult to do any significant traveling for 20 years or so.
Image Image
Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by Gulfbreeze »

MelliJellyBean wrote:and a boyfriend, so I don't have alot tying me down.

I am sure your boyfriend feels pretty good right about now..
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

MelliJellyBean wrote:I've become pretty unhappy with my job as of late and it's really bugging me - it's not the same place I started working at with all the staff changes. Gosh - it's overwhelming to even begin thinking about looking for a job.
Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to throw some kind of older, experienced wisdom at you here... but where you're at (and me too) is what I think as just part of growing up and really becoming a self-sufficient, responsible, independent adult. Start browsing for a new gig, and put yourself out there... but don't think getting a new job will instantly make you happier. Works sukks no matter what you do... in most cases. :wink:
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

If work was meant to be fun we wouldn't get paid to do it. Trust me everything sucks after a little while. I used to be a river guide, and even it got old.
rednekkPH

Post by rednekkPH »

iuparrothead wrote: Works sukks no matter what you do... in most cases.
Work is supposed to sukk - otherwise it would be called fun, and you would pay to do it.
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

rednekkPH wrote:
iuparrothead wrote: Works sukks no matter what you do... in most cases.
Work is supposed to sukk - otherwise it would be called fun, and you would pay to do it.
You always have been a little slow. :lol: