Napoleon Dynamite question

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Key Lime Lee
Living My Life Like A Song
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Key Lime Lee »

They're certainly being heralded as LDS filmmakers and torchbearers of Mormon cinema....
Eleven longhaired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus...

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

PHBeerman wrote:
Lightning Bolt wrote:
AF, I'm more curious to know what your point is about the Mormon church
whether it was is involved (it isn't) or not?

Have you even seen the movie??
I guess you don't have the "God Makers" Handbook that tells you to hate everything Mormon. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
No, apparently I do not :roll: :lol:

You know me... just a heathen from Cali who's on the fast track to Purgatory
(btw, to me, Purgatory is just a ski resort)
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

ccabsolut01
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by ccabsolut01 »

I'm in college and I'd say about 90% of my friends and ppl my age that I talk to love the movie.

My dad also loves the movie, but when he took it to a family get-together, he said that it wasn't that big of a hit...he thought that some ppl in my family might have just felt bad for some of the ppl in the movie...Napoleon, his uncle, Kip lol..

You do just have to sit back and take this movie in...nothing to "get"...just ridiculously stupid humor...I love it.

ccabsolut01
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by ccabsolut01 »

I'm in college and I'd say about 90% of my friends and ppl my age that I talk to love the movie.

My dad also loves the movie, but when he took it to a family get-together, he said that it wasn't that big of a hit...he thought that some ppl in my family might have just felt bad for some of the ppl in the movie...Napoleon, his uncle, Kip lol..

You do just have to sit back and take this movie in...nothing to "get"...just ridiculously stupid humor...I love it.

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

i have absolutely no opinion about the movie. haven't even seen it. just repeating what i've read and heard about the movie....

i do happen to live in a very mormon area of Phoenix, all my neighbors are mormon, and there are 7 mormon churches within 3 miles of my house and 2 less a than a mile. (i get lots of sunday sunshine suprises, and the homebaked goodies at xmas time is is beyond description) AZ has a very large mormon population, the city of mesa was founded by the mormons, (the salt lake mormons were too liberal, so a bunch left for AZ) and a majority of the republican majority in the state legislature is mormon. hence it's pretty hard not to be sucked into all things mormon living here.....

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

FinzEast
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Pina Colida

Post by FinzEast »

BoozeInTheBlender wrote:It's REALLY BAD!
I know i don't get here quite often enough

PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

Key Lime Lee wrote:They're certainly being heralded as LDS filmmakers and torchbearers of Mormon cinema....
Kind of like how your kind heralds Michael Moore as the Torchbearer of Hippie cinema? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CosmkMffn
Southeast of disorder

Re: Napoleon Dynamite question

Post by CosmkMffn »

PHBeerman wrote:Does this moveie get better if you watch it again? Or is it just a really bad movie?
i thought it was pretty bad the first time i saw it - i don't think i even saw the entire thing. but that was right after watching brian regan's new DVD - a tough act to follow to say the least.

however, i found myself quoting parts of it, and overhearing students in the high school where i work talking about it and quoting it..... so i rented it again, and it was much funnier the second time.

it's a take it or leave it movie that you just have to be in the mood for - sort of like dumb & dumber or bill & ted's excellent adventure....
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

CosmkMffn
Southeast of disorder

Post by CosmkMffn »

PalmettoSon wrote:Hello, this is Napoleon
It's better the second time.
Okay, bye. (click)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

ParrotheadGator
License to Chill

Post by ParrotheadGator »

it was pretty bad, but the dancing near the end cracked me up

sy
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Lage Nom Ai
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by sy »

I watched this maybe three weeks ago. I thought it was pretty bad. My husband loved it because he said he could relate a lot of things in it to his school. Guess I couldn't. :cry:
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all..

Lightning Bolt
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

sy wrote:...my husband loved it because he said he could relate a lot of things in it to his school.
That was a big part of what I found so funny about it.
Whether you're in school today or 25 years ago, the "scene" is really the same.
All the cliques, and everything else.
As cruel as a lot of that could have been... it's also just pretty damn funny!
Throw in Kip, Uncle Rico and LaFawnda...:lol: :lol: :lol:

VOTE FOR PEDRO!! :lol:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Lightning Bolt wrote:All the cliques, ...
Should be a perfect movie for BN.

rednekkPH

Post by rednekkPH »

LIPH wrote:
Lightning Bolt wrote:All the cliques, ...
Should be a perfect movie for BN.
You big meanie... :D

tdparrothead
Behind Door #3

Post by tdparrothead »

I still have to see it. :-?

jbsux
I have found me a home

Napoleon Dynamite Question

Post by jbsux »

For crying out loud!, just fix yourself a dang quesadilla!, FINE!
What are you gonna do today Napoleon? "whatever I feel like!" GOSH!
Could you bring me some chapstick, but my lips hurt real bad!
Tina, you fat lard! EAT! EAT THE HAM!
Its a liger, it's pretty much my favorite animal
Put it back Napoleon, you know we cant afford the fun pack!

Mormons or no mormons, it's still one of the funniest movies around, and it don't have any cussing, nudity or violence in it, which makes it even better that you can watch it with your family, my 4 yr old daughter loves it, she knows the whole script, and will crack you up doing her imitations of it. I would watch it before I would the new Star Wars "revenge of the nerds" movie.

7lords
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by 7lords »

Lightning Bolt wrote:
Ilph wrote:I didn't get the movie. I think at 25, I'm too old to understand it. Belleville, IL actually had a Napoleon Dynamite festvial a few weeks ago. Go figure :-?

CNN had a news story on it and said it was this generation's Animal House. I find that very hard to believe.

I've never heard anything about the Mormon church being involved. I was under the impression that it was an MTV studios film.
You see the MTV Films logo up front as a producer along with Fox Searchlight as distributor
It was distributed by Fox Searchlight along with MTV Films and Paramount. The production company was Access Films
Is it day?

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

I thought this was a great movie. I think it definitely has some pretty memorable quotes in it.

One of my favorites, Napoleon to Deb: "Why are you drinking 1% milk? Is it because you think you're fat? Well you're not, you could be drinking whole milk if you wanted.

Or Napoleon to Pedro: What kind of bike do you have? Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

Lightning Bolt wrote:
Ilph wrote:I didn't get the movie. I think at 25, I'm too old to understand it. Belleville, IL actually had a Napoleon Dynamite festvial a few weeks ago. Go figure :-?

CNN had a news story on it and said it was this generation's Animal House. I find that very hard to believe.

I've never heard anything about the Mormon church being involved. I was under the impression that it was an MTV studios film.
You see the MTV Films logo up front as a producer along with Fox Searchlight as distributor
That's what I thought. I might be wrong, but MTV doesn't strike me as a production company that can be easily confused with the Mormon church.

Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

pbans wrote:
Ilph wrote:I didn't get the movie. I think at 25, I'm too old to understand it.
I'm waaaaaaaaay older than 25.....I think you have to watch in knowing there's nothing to "get"....look at the line in the trailer, "Napoleon Dynamite, He's out to prove he's got nothing to prove."
When I watched it, I was hardly expecting Citizen Kane, and am very adept at suspending reality (I enjoyed National Treasure, one of the most unbelievable films ever). But this movie just didn't do it for me.