Hurricane ThRead II

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republics & Migration
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Hula Girl

Hurricane ThRead II

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

If you veer from hurricane talk I'll come to your house and punch you in the nuts.

Thanks!

<3
DKD

THE 11 AM EDT POSITION...21.4 N... 79.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...150 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 938 MB.
Last edited by DonnaKayDunbar on July 11, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randaconda
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by randaconda »

Hurricanes s***. GO GATORS 8)

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by HsvParrothead »

awwww man... now I have to post my related info. again.... :(
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Every Stripper Deserves A DJ
There's gotta be a girl drunk enough in this town
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
I Make Her What?? :o
2am, Jack Flats, I Lost Cuervo!!
The Curse..

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

HsvParrothead wrote:awwww man... now I have to post my related info. again.... :(
I saw it.

Thanks for not being a waste of space and air, Kev!
;)

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

Interesting info. out of Key West...

SURPRISE! HERE'S DENNIS

BY TIMOTHY O'HARA
AND NANCY KLINGENER
Citizen Staff

KEY WEST — The Lower Keys are bracing for a strong but glancing blow from Hurricane Dennis today, as the storm's projected path suddenly veered much closer to Key West, leading to evacuation orders and hurried preparations.

Forecasters said tropical storm force winds should be felt in the Lower Keys by late afternoon today with Dennis projected to pass just to the west of Key West tonight. Mandatory evacuation was ordered for the islands from Key West to the Seven Mile Bridge.

Much depends on the strength of a high pressure ridge that had been expected to steer Dennis to the west of the Keys, and how much the storm weakens as it crosses Cuba.

The severity of the storm and its projected proximity to the Lower Keys caught many people off guard Thursday. Emergency management officials were forced to make quick decisions about evacuations and transportation of the indigent, elderly and other people with special needs.

'None of us is prepared for this'

Authorities issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone south of the Seven Mile Bridge at 4 p.m. Thursday. All mobile home residents in the Keys were also ordered to leave. Lines began forming at gas stations and hardware and grocery stores, as people rushed for last-minute supplies. Some people felt they barely had time to get ready for the storm.

"I'm not prepared for this," said Jan Henry, who lives on a sailboat off Key West. "It's just too early for this. I'm used to preparing my boat in August. None of us is prepared for this."

Tropical storm force winds could reach the Lower Keys as early as this afternoon and continue for 24 hours, said Matt Strahan, chief meteorologist for the Key West office of the National Weather Service. Dennis, which reached Category 3 by Thursday evening with 115 mph sustained winds, had strengthened and the wind field expanded, especially to the northeast. A high-pressure ridge that was keeping the storm westward away from the Keys began to deteriorate on Thursday, Strahan said.

"You don't have much time to make your decisions," Strahan told emergency management officials during a 3 p.m. meeting.

"We don't have the luxury of waiting until daylight to begin evacuating," county Senior Emergency Management Executive Director Billy Wagner said.

Capt. Jim Scholl, commanding officer of Naval Air Station Key West, ordered all military service personnel and their families to leave the islands by 5 p.m. today. Gov. Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency in Florida. Tolls were lifted on Card Sound Road.

Sheriff's deputies were asking people on their way to the Florida Keys to turn around, posting officers at the Monroe/Miami-Dade county line to stop visitors with boats and trailers from going farther south.

Drawbridges at Snake Creek in Islamorada and Jewfish Creek in Key Largo were locked down at 10 p.m. Thursday so traffic flow would not be interrupted by boats.

Officials hustled to set up transportation for evacuees and open shelters in Miami-Dade and the Upper Keys. The Navy plans to begin flying out hospital patients from Lower Keys Medical Center on large C-130 troop transport aircraft at 8 a.m. today, Scholl said.

The Greyhound Keys Shuttle added two extra departures from Key West Thursday night, and scheduled departures for 8:45 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. today.

Airport battens down

The Key West International Airport began preparations Thursday. Airlines were reporting that most Thursday air service out of Key West was sold out, and some airlines were considering adding additional flights out this morning.

"We will be open tomorrow, but we don't know how long," said Airports Director Peter Horton.

Horton also put out a memo for all airlines nationwide to discourage visitors from coming down.

"We don't want tourists and visitors and nonresidents coming down, because the first thing the hotels will say is, 'We can't book you,'" Horton said, noting the visitor evacuation sparked by the current hurricane watch. Outgoing flights were scheduled up until 8:30 p.m. Thursday night, he said, which is the normal schedule.

"We understand that if they insist, you cannot stop them from boarding the aircraft," Horton wrote in his memo to the airlines. "But please remind them that sleeping on the floor of a hurricane shelter and eating cheese sandwiches is not much of a vacation. Even if it is in Key West."

The federal Transportation Security Administration's airport screeners will stay in town as long as the airport has departing flights, Horton said. Last year, an early and controversial departure by the screeners forced the airport to close early, ahead of an expected storm.

"The TSA stay policy is and has been — for most of last year, except for that one misunderstanding — is to be here as long as there's departing flights," Horton said. Horton said the airport would be updating its plan after a 6 p.m. meeting Thursday night.

All the Monroe County schools will be closed today, which would have been the last day for the Summer Recreation Program at the Poinciana School for grades K-5.

"The kids have worked very hard all summer and would have enjoyed the last day celebrating their success over the 24 day period," said Mona Clark, an administrator for the Poinciana Summer academic program. "We made a good save because the tests that the third graders have to take at the end of the program were taken on Wednesday."

The city of Key West and Monroe County both opened emergency operation centers Thursday. City offices will be closed today. The city is also closing its port to cruise ship traffic for an indefinite period of time. State parks were closed.

Key West Mayor Jimmy Weekley urged people to not panic, but prepare for the storm.

"People should be securing their businesses and homes," Weekley said.

Tourists who could not get out were making whatever arrangements they could.

"I would say Dennis definitely hampered our vacation," said visitor Joe Caso from New Jersey. "We were staying at Coconut Beach Resort but we had to leave. I understand, it is right by the water.

"But now we are down for a week with nowhere to stay. We can't rent a car and it's impossible to get a flight out so late," Caso said. "I guess we could ride our bikes out of town, but somehow I don't think that will work out."

Caso eventually found shelter at the La Concha Hotel.

Key West's bars, as usual, were vowing to carry on as usual.

"We will stay open until they force us to close," said bartender Brandon Jones at Margaritaville. "We still have normal hours and will still have music at 10 p.m."

Citizen Staff Writer Stacy Rodriguez and Intern Chelsea Solmo contributed to this story.
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

HsvParrothead wrote:Key West's bars, as usual, were vowing to carry on as usual.

"We will stay open until they force us to close," said bartender Brandon Jones at Margaritaville. "We still have normal hours and will still have music at 10 p.m."
[/i]
:lol:
Gotta respect the tenacity behind their drankin :pirate:
Last edited by HsvParrothead on July 8, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

ParrotheadGator
License to Chill

Post by ParrotheadGator »

none of us IS prepared :lol:

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

some tourist wrote:"I guess we could ride our bikes out of town, but somehow I don't think that will work out."
You can give 'er a go!

TripAroundTheSun-McBride
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Re: Hurricane Thead II

Post by TripAroundTheSun-McBride »

DonnaKayDunbar wrote:If you veer from hurricane talk I'll come to your house and punch you in the nuts.

Thanks!

<3
DKD

I don't have nuts. :o

BTW...Thanks for the update! 8)

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

Saffir-Simpson Scale

Category One Hurricane:
Winds 74-95 mph. Storm surge generally 4-5 ft above normal. No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. Also, some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage. Hurricanes Allison of 1995 and Danny of 1997 were Category One hurricanes at peak intensity.

Category Two Hurricane:
Winds 96-110 mph. Storm surge generally 6-8 feet above normal. Some roofing material, door, and window damage of buildings. Considerable damage to shrubbery and trees with some trees blown down. Considerable damage to mobile homes, poorly constructed signs, and piers. Coastal and low-lying escape routes flood 2-4 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Small craft in unprotected anchorages break moorings. Hurricane Bonnie of 1998 was a Category Two hurricane when it hit the North Carolina coast, while Hurricane Georges of 1998 was a Category Two Hurricane when it hit the Florida Keys and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Category Three Hurricane:
Winds 111-130 mph. Storm surge generally 9-12 ft above normal. Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large trees blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Flooding near the coast destroys smaller structures with larger structures damaged by battering from floating debris. Terrain continuously lower than 5 ft above mean sea level may be flooded inland 8 miles (13 km) or more. Evacuation of low-lying residences with several blocks of the shoreline may be required. Hurricanes Roxanne of 1995 and Fran of 1996 were Category Three hurricanes at landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico and in North Carolina, respectively.

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph. Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Luis of 1995 was a Category Four hurricane while moving over the Leeward Islands. Hurricanes Felix and Opal of 1995 also reached Category Four status at peak intensity.

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph. Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Hurricane Mitch of 1998 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity over the western Caribbean. Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is one of the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclones of record.

balcony girls

Post by balcony girls »

is this now the true/really live/dedicated hurricane thread . . .? ?

I just spent 49 minutes of my life " culling " info from 2 other threads . .

:o

thanks for all the " pertinent " info . .

:wink:
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

balcony girls wrote:is this now the true/really live/dedicated hurricane thread . . .? ?

I just spent 49 minutes of my life " culling " info from 2 other threads . .

:o

thanks for all the " pertinent " info . .

:wink:
Yeah, apparently the old hurricane thread was mistaken for the "inside jokes with newbies" thread. :roll:

So this is the real deal.

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

balcony girls wrote:is this now the true/really live/dedicated hurricane thread . . .? ?
Hopefully...
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

HawaiianGator
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by HawaiianGator »

DonnaKayDunbar wrote:If you veer from hurricane talk I'll come to your house and punch you in the nuts.

Thanks!

<3
DKD

i am alot closer to DKD than the rest of you ... so I had better behave :pirate:

DonnaKayDunbar
Under My Lone Palm

Post by DonnaKayDunbar »

HawaiianGator wrote:

Thanks!

<3
DKD

i am alot closer to DKD than the rest of you ... so I had better behave :pirate:
Stone's throw.
;)

balcony girls

Post by balcony girls »

HsvParrothead wrote:
Hopefully...
good. . .

I have finally released my " death grip " on the TV remote . .

just need everyone to keep repeating . . .

" GO WEST, DENNIS . . GO WEST . . ! ! "

and the other thing is how it looks like LuLu's is gonna take it right on the nose again . .

:(
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "

GatorAtl
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by GatorAtl »

HsvParrothead
Under My Lone Palm

Post by HsvParrothead »

Yep... looks like Gulf Shores and P'cola are in for it again :(

And since it's coming right of the asscrack of Alabama... I'm sure we'll be dodging the tornadoes again on this one :x
MOTM 2005
Sip, Sip, Give
Gerber!

MOTM 2006
The Curse..

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

balcony girls wrote:
HsvParrothead wrote:
Hopefully...
good. . .

I have finally released my " death grip " on the TV remote . .

just need everyone to keep repeating . . .

" GO WEST, DENNIS . . GO WEST . . ! ! "

and the other thing is how it looks like LuLu's is gonna take it right on the nose again . .

:(
let's all go out and blow really hard toward the southeast and blow this sucker out to the Atlantic

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

HsvParrothead wrote:Yep... looks like Gulf Shores and P'cola are in for it again :(

And since it's coming right of the asscrack of Alabama... I'm sure we'll be dodging the tornadoes again on this one :x
Saw that fall line. and with Cindy this week, I am sure the tarps down there are probably already loose. Sheesh.

Fingers crossed the Dew Drop is still standing when this is done. Would hate to think of making the trip to, or from the airport without one of their burgers as an incentive. :D