What a jerk!!

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

What a jerk!!

Post by UAHparrothead »

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

actually, he's pretty solid on that opinion.

I am sorry about the family's loss, but the story has passed from "front page" status, and the parents' behaviour has been less than stellar.

I remember back to a story a few years ago: A little 6 year old beauty pagent contestant disappears. Media goes nuts. The same day, a little girl in Chicago is found in a housing project stairwell beaten, abused in all sorts of ways, and when the perpetrators were done with their activities, they tried killing her by forcing bug spray or some other poison down her throat.

It made the local news in Chicago. It got a couple mentions, but the ending never made the news.

For the record, this latter story is a lot more compelling than some 18 year old who is at least partially responsible for the outcome of her story.
UAHparrothead
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

What if it was your daughter missing? If it was mine I would want it on the news 24/7 until she was found or some solid answers were discovered. This guy is ragging on the Holloway family and making them out to be bums on the streets of Aruba asking Please sir May I have some more? They are down there trying to find their daughter, who is probably dead or worse and these assclown is gonna rag them on it. I'll go along with the whole news media taking advantage of this situation to get ratings and I can't stand Nancy Grace, but ragging on the family isn't right.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

RinglingRingling wrote:
I remember back to a story a few years ago: A little 6 year old beauty pagent contestant disappears. Media goes nuts.
That would be Jon Bonet Ramsey.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Oh yeah, and if anyone ANYONE ever talked about my daughter that way, they'd be sucking the rest of their meals through a tube.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

buffettbride wrote:Oh yeah, and if anyone ANYONE ever talked about my daughter that way, they'd be sucking the rest of their meals through a tube.

I think I've rubbed off on you dear :wink:
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

It is a tragic situation. But this dude is spot on.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

ph4ever wrote:
buffettbride wrote:Oh yeah, and if anyone ANYONE ever talked about my daughter that way, they'd be sucking the rest of their meals through a tube.

I think I've rubbed off on you dear :wink:
Well, yeah, I like the rubbing but what does that have to do with....uhh...nevermind. :wink:
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

I like when Brad says assclown! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
sy
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Lage Nom Ai
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by sy »

I went and read some of his other columns as well, just out of curiosity, and there's a previous column he wrote on this topic as well:

http://www.steveyuhas.com/columns/yuhas_20050621.htm
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all..
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

PHBeerman wrote:It is a tragic situation. But this dude is spot on.
About many points but 2 glaring misconceptions.

1) She's an 18 year old girl/woman, that made a bad decision fueled by hormones & alcohol... that, by no means, makes her a 'slut'.

2) The clothing she wore is irrelevant and also, by no means, makes her a 'slut'.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

iuparrothead wrote:

1) She's an 18 year old girl/woman, that made a bad decision fueled by hormones & alcohol... that, by no means, makes her a 'slut'.

2) The clothing she wore is irrelevant and also, by no means, makes her a 'slut'.
Seems like dude needs to get over his anger at the media, or at least not redirect it toward the family and this girl. It's tragic, no matter what, but Americans thrive on missing, young, pretty white girls. That's our fault, not the family's.
LaTda
Inactive User

Post by LaTda »

you can just about tell by the replies who has a daughter & who doesn't
Sittin on the dock of the bay
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

LaTda wrote:you can just about tell by the replies who has a daughter & who doesn't
because people with daughter's are way cooler. :D
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

LaTda wrote:you can just about tell by the replies who has a daughter & who doesn't
I don't have a daughter. :-?
7lords
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by 7lords »

iuparrothead wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Also in the other column, he is spot on on these statements:
There is no other explanation for the coverage of Natalee Holloway’s disappearance from Aruba and the continuous coverage of it other than the fact that she is a pretty white girl who presumably went missing in Aruba at the hands of the son of a judge. Had Natalee been black and had she went missing in Jamaica, I hardly think that Nancy or Greta would be crying (well Nancy would cry because that is what makes Nancy Grace who she is) or taking up residence there. We’ve seen this story play out too many times for me not to believe that there is something about how a presumed victim looks that drives the coverage and that is a sad admission for me to make.
There is a pattern about missing people and cases covered and call me whatever you want, but I don't recall a lot of attention paid to missing people of color - I am a conservative and hardly a player of the race card, but I call a spade a spade and when every person on television who is a victim is white and the victims who are not have no coverage or a mere blip, some people notice.
Is it day?
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

7lords wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Also in the other column, he is spot on on these statements:
There is no other explanation for the coverage of Natalee Holloway’s disappearance from Aruba and the continuous coverage of it other than the fact that she is a pretty white girl who presumably went missing in Aruba at the hands of the son of a judge. Had Natalee been black and had she went missing in Jamaica, I hardly think that Nancy or Greta would be crying (well Nancy would cry because that is what makes Nancy Grace who she is) or taking up residence there. We’ve seen this story play out too many times for me not to believe that there is something about how a presumed victim looks that drives the coverage and that is a sad admission for me to make.
There is a pattern about missing people and cases covered and call me whatever you want, but I don't recall a lot of attention paid to missing people of color - I am a conservative and hardly a player of the race card, but I call a spade a spade and when every person on television who is a victim is white and the victims who are not have no coverage or a mere blip, some people notice.
But it still doesn't qualify or justify his implications about Natalee herself. I don't disagree with his opinion about the media; just his comments about missing child.

It's hard to say what I would do in the family's shoes, but I know I'd want to do everything I possibly could do to find out the truth, although from where I sit today, I don't think that suing the Aruban government is the right plan of action. I think by travelling to a foreign country you do have to accept that what happens there happens according to their laws. :-?

I will, however, stand by my original position:
7lords
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by 7lords »

buffettbride wrote:But it still doesn't qualify or justify his implications about Natalee herself. I don't disagree with his opinion about the media; just his comments about missing child.

It's hard to say what I would do in the family's shoes, but I know I'd want to do everything I possibly could do to find out the truth, although from where I sit today, I don't think that suing the Aruban government is the right plan of action. I think by travelling to a foreign country you do have to accept that what happens there happens according to their laws. :-?

I'm 100% with you on this point. His implications about Natalee are 100% out of line. And I have no problem with what her family has done - I would think less of them if they didn't do everything they could.
Is it day?
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

7lords wrote:
buffettbride wrote:But it still doesn't qualify or justify his implications about Natalee herself. I don't disagree with his opinion about the media; just his comments about missing child.

I'm 100% with you on this point. His implications about Natalee are 100% out of line. And I have no problem with what her family has done - I would think less of them if they didn't do everything they could.
Wanna go beat him up with me? :lol:
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

white & middle-class = 24/7 media coverage

black & poor = who?

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson