2006 Baseball Thread!

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Cubs s*ck, Cubs stink, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah

MLB Standings, Cubs Vs........

National League East

Team W/L GB

NY Mets 12-7

Chicago Cubs 11-7 .5

National League West

Chicago Cubs 11-7 --

San Fr. Giants 11-8 -1

American League East

Boston Red Sox 12-7 --

Cubs 11-7 .5

American League Central

Chi White Sux 13-6 --

Chicago Cubs 11-7 -1

American League West

Chicago Cubs 11-7 --

LA Angels 11-9 -1.5
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

What's that saying? "You never know what you will see when you go to a game"? Well the Red Sox had double play that many have not seen before.

Situation
Varitek on 1st, Manny on 2nd, Lowell up full count with one out; Jake Westbrook pitching. Westbrook goes into the windup, Manny breaks for 3rd early so Westbrook runs at him and gets Manny in a run down, for some reason Varitek decides to go for 2nd, so while Manny is caught between 2nd and 3rd they threw Varitek out at 2nd then have enough time to throw Manny out at 3rd. So the Indians
pulled off a double play without the ball being put into play. :-?

:roll:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

I'm off to the Brewers/Braves game!!!

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

I'm not even getting close to the Padres/D-Backs game this afternoon! :roll: :o

Went to last night's game and saw an All-Star pitcher get knocked around, get no run support, and left in long enough to let it turn into a blowout.

Crusty and I disagree on this strongly, but I cannot wait 'til this team fires Bruce Bochy.... :evil:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

CaptainP wrote:I'm off to the Brewers/Braves game!!!
It's a win!

Ben Sheets this season has a 25-1 Strikeout to Walk ratio....

LaTda
Inactive User

Post by LaTda »

So I'm in Jersey on a business trip & nothing is on TV...
I look for a game & find the TB vs NYY game where TB is leading like 10-1

..I figure this would be fun to watch while I wait for scores & NY comes back & wins :roll: , finally I figure out, cause I can be an idiot :lol: , that I'm watching classic yankee games or something like that :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I felt kinda foolish but had to share that anyway.. took me over a half hour to figure it out since I was doing other stuff at the same time :lol:
Sittin on the dock of the bay

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

LaTda wrote:So I'm in Jersey on a business trip & nothing is on TV...
I look for a game & find the TB vs NYY game where TB is leading like 10-1

..I figure this would be fun to watch while I wait for scores & NY comes back & wins :roll: , finally I figure out, cause I can be an idiot :lol: , that I'm watching classic yankee games or something like that :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I felt kinda foolish but had to share that anyway.. took me over a half hour to figure it out since I was doing other stuff at the same time :lol:
Was gonna say, didn't they go into extra innings yesterday?

Hoosier PH
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Hoosier PH »

I think this guy should be suspended for the rest of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2423307

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- The Devil Rays suspended Durham Bulls outfielder Delmon Young on Thursday, a day after he threw a bat at the home plate umpire.

International League president Randy Mobley told Buster Olney of ESPN The Magazine that Young was suspended for the Bulls game against Pawtucket pending an investigation into the incident.

Young threw a bat that hit the arm of the home plate umpire after being called out on strikes in the first inning Wednesday night of a game at Pawtucket.

Young argued with the umpire after taking a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. The umpire ejected Young, who then threw his bat and hit the umpire in the chest.

Replacement umpires have been working all minor league games this season because the regular umpires are on strike. Bill Wanless, a spokesman for the Pawtucket Red Sox, said minor league teams are not releasing the names of umpires while the regulars are on strike.

Young, 20, is the younger brother of Detroit Tigers outfielder Dmitri Young. He was voted the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' minor league player of the year last season and the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

The Devils Rays selected Young with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Hoosier PH wrote:I think this guy should be suspended for the rest of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2423307

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- The Devil Rays suspended Durham Bulls outfielder Delmon Young on Thursday, a day after he threw a bat at the home plate umpire.

International League president Randy Mobley told Buster Olney of ESPN The Magazine that Young was suspended for the Bulls game against Pawtucket pending an investigation into the incident.

Young threw a bat that hit the arm of the home plate umpire after being called out on strikes in the first inning Wednesday night of a game at Pawtucket.

Young argued with the umpire after taking a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. The umpire ejected Young, who then threw his bat and hit the umpire in the chest.

Replacement umpires have been working all minor league games this season because the regular umpires are on strike. Bill Wanless, a spokesman for the Pawtucket Red Sox, said minor league teams are not releasing the names of umpires while the regulars are on strike.

Young, 20, is the younger brother of Detroit Tigers outfielder Dmitri Young. He was voted the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' minor league player of the year last season and the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

The Devils Rays selected Young with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft.
I'd investigate further first.

From what I've heard, Young had been ejected, threw his bat in frustration, but chose the wrong place to throw it....he didn't mean to hit the umpire. Doesn't excuse him, but suspending someone for 120 games for this might be extreme...

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

CaptainP wrote: From what I've heard, Young had been ejected, threw his bat in frustration, but chose the wrong place to throw it....he didn't mean to hit the umpire. Doesn't excuse him, but suspending someone for 120 games for this might be extreme...
I know he probably was frustrated but to throw an object that could have really hurt someone. I don't know if the umpire had his mask on or not but had he not and the bat hit him in the face.......

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Hoosier PH wrote:
CaptainP wrote: From what I've heard, Young had been ejected, threw his bat in frustration, but chose the wrong place to throw it....he didn't mean to hit the umpire. Doesn't excuse him, but suspending someone for 120 games for this might be extreme...
I know he probably was frustrated but to throw an object that could have really hurt someone. I don't know if the umpire had his mask on or not but had he not and the bat hit him in the face.......
Not disagreeing that he shouldn't have done it, but this guy has no history, and if there was no intent to injure, it's not worth more than a game or two.

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

CaptainP wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
Not disagreeing that he shouldn't have done it, but this guy has no history, and if there was no intent to injure, it's not worth more than a game or two.
Bumping an umpire in the minor leagues is usually 5 games. As protective as the MiLB people are of the replacement umps, with "no intent" this will probably net a minimum of ten games

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Cubbie Bear wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
Bumping an umpire in the minor leagues is usually 5 games. As protective as the MiLB people are of the replacement umps, with "no intent" this will probably net a minimum of ten games
Didn't know the minimums..thanks for clarifying, Cubbie.

I'd still say it's not worth more than 10....unless it looks like he actually tried to hit the fake ump.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

The OPPOSING catcher is taking Young's defense:
Young took a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. When Young delayed leaving the batter's box, the umpire ejected him. Young then flipped his bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

Pawtucket catcher Corky Miller said he didn't hear Young say anything to the umpire. "I heard the umpire say, 'You better get going,'" Miller said.

"It was hard to say what was going through his mind. Guys have emotions. But you try to learn how to control them. I'm sure as the bat left his hands he knew it was a bad decision," Miller said.
Sounds like the fake ump ran him unfairly. Young got upset about that, flipped the bat, and accidentily hit him.

Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

Do hear that

Sweep Sweep Sweep

How about them REDS there are RED HOT

Just happy there are above 500
ImageImage Image

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

CaptainP wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
Hoosier PH wrote:
Didn't know the minimums..thanks for clarifying, Cubbie.

I'd still say it's not worth more than 10....unless it looks like he actually tried to hit the fake ump.
I meant minimum as in an average of what I have seen, nothing official.

and if the catcher is backing up the guy, it would certainly need to be less. Oh, one other thing.......

WHY IS ANYBODY FREAKIN' THROWING STRIKES TO BAROID BONDS
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

Capt.Flock wrote:Do hear that

Sweep Sweep Sweep

How about them REDS there are RED HOT

Just happy there are above 500
Real happy the Reds are playing well (better then being 7-15) however I am trying to not get too excited as they have beat up teams like the Nats, Marlins, Pirates. We will see how good they are this homestand as they have the Astros for three and the Cardinals for two.

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

The Padres are an early mystery :-? :roll:

We can split (and nearly take 3 of 4) from both the Braves and Mets,
but we make Rockies and D-Backs pitchers look like Cy Young! :evil: :evil: :evil:
and swept by both AT HOME! :roll:

Bring on them Bums from LA... it's time for fights! :P :wink:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Looks like Young is facing about a 30 game suspension. That isn't yet official, though.

They are refusing to show the video of the game to anyone.

IP 42
I have found me a home
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes, please

Post by IP 42 »