mosquito traps, do they work?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

mosquito traps, do they work?

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

I was thinking of purchasing one of those "mosquito traps" that they sell at home cheapo or the like which run on a bottle of propane and attract mosquito's for like either a 1/2 acre or more. I was wondering if anyone has one and do they really work? I live near standing water and in the summer there can be lots of mosquito's, but this seems too good to be true and things like this usually don't work. So if any of you who live in FLA or southern areas have them that would be a good test. Just trying to get som feedback before shelling out $300 or more for one of these things.
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

We have one and it does work. You need to make sure where you put it is down wind from where your skeeters live and you do need to refill the propane tank every three weeks or so. There is a little bit of work (5-10 min. a week) to make sure it's doing it's thing, but it does get em.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

IF EVERYONE THINKS WE NEED TO PROTECT THE BABY SEALS, WHY IS IT OK TO KILL MOSQUITOS?

JUST BECAUSE THEY AREN'T CUTE????

LaTda
Inactive User

Post by LaTda »

CaptainP wrote:IF EVERYONE THINKS WE NEED TO PROTECT THE BABY SEALS, WHY IS IT OK TO KILL MOSQUITOS?

what a moron

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sittin on the dock of the bay

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

LaTda wrote:
CaptainP wrote:IF EVERYONE THINKS WE NEED TO PROTECT THE BABY SEALS, WHY IS IT OK TO KILL MOSQUITOS?

what a moron

Hey... if a baby harp seal had opposable thumbs, and a bit more flipper-eye coordination... :D

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

so how deep a trap do you have to dig for mosquitos????????

Ilph
Inactive User

Post by Ilph »

Mosquito traps work ok, but you have to find a REALLY small piece of cheese to get on there.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

LaTda wrote:

what a moron

Sorry, but mosquitos are just the extreme example. I'm against the clubbing of baby seals, too, but I have noticed that the only time anyone starts a campaign to protect an animal, it tends to be a cute animal.

How about....SAVE THE COWS!!!!

rsgeist
Hoot!

Post by rsgeist »

LaTda wrote:

what a moron

And name calling is necessary because ..... ??
Image ... yes, its true ... I am alphabits' evil twin

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

rsgeist wrote:
LaTda wrote:

what a moron

Is all right. I can take it. Just proving a point.

Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

CaptainP wrote:
LaTda wrote:

what a moron

Sorry, but mosquitos are just the extreme example. I'm against the clubbing of baby seals, too, but I have noticed that the only time anyone starts a campaign to protect an animal, it tends to be a cute animal.

How about....SAVE THE COWS!!!!
No CaptainP as I told Lightening Bolt...look up California Condor..Ok...that simply is NOT the case...OK..Ok?

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image

Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

rsgeist wrote:
LaTda wrote:

what a moron

well because any reasonably intelligent being knows that simply is not correct...rsgeist...

and I know that CaptainP was only in this to be argumentative and more than likely has no idea what he's talking about...which is pretty much evident!

this subject has been discussed in it's own thread, several of them...and it's now over, done with...the DEED has been done...and to continue to bring it up in other threads is very rude and insensitive to those of us that find this to a horrendous and murderous act...carried out only for the sake of vanity...

HOWEVER....back to the purpose of this thread...YES, they work wonderfully in Coastal Georgia where I live...and there are some of the biggest mosquitos I have ever seen in my entire life..

You can purchase one now that does not use propane, it's run by electricity...they are a bit pricey, but worth every penny!!!
Last edited by Moonie on March 26, 2006 11:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Just buy some cheap tequlia and fine sand

put the Hooch out next to the sand
they will get fighting drunk and throw rocks at each other.. :D :D :D

Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

Ah ok.. but, will that work for those bastardly fire ants?

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I've never tried the traps
I've been using Cutter Bug free Backyard for a few years.
Just hook it to the hose and soak the lawn, the fence, the trees, the side of the house, etc.
It's supposed to repels mosquitos for up to 3 weeks and it seems to work pretty good.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

rsgeist
Hoot!

Post by rsgeist »

Moonie wrote:
rsgeist wrote:
LaTda wrote:

what a moron

well because any reasonably intelligent being knows that simply is not correct...rsgeist...

and I know that CaptainP was only in this to be argumentative and more than likely has no idea what he's talking about...which is pretty much evident!

this subject has been discussed in it's own thread, several of them...and it's now over, done with...the DEED has been done...and to continue to bring it up in other threads is very rude and insensitive to those of us that find this to a horrendous and murderous act...carried out only for the sake of vanity...

HOWEVER....back to the purpose of this thread...YES, they work wonderfully in Coastal Georgia where I live...and there are some of the biggest mosquitos I have ever seen in my entire life..

You can purchase one now that does not use propane, it's run by electricity...they are a bit pricey, but worth every penny!!!
So name calling is acceptable as long as it's in support of a cause you agree with?

How do you KNOW what CaptainP's intentions were? Frankly I don't think his comments are that far off the mark. The fact that you choose not to agree with them doesn't make them incorrect. And for the record I will match my level of intelligence (and reasonability) against yours or anyone else's.

And I don't see anything that indicates CaptainP is downplaying or minimizing the horrendousness of the seal slaughter. He was only pointing out the seeming irony in our having different levels of value for the lives of different creatures. Baby seals - we're horrified (justifiably so). Mosquitos - kill 'em all!

Apparently you have now appointed yourself sole arbiter of exactly who can bring up the subject of the hunt. If you start a thread before the hunt it's OK: if someone else mentions it afterward, it's insensitive. I guess I was confused about who was running this site.
Image ... yes, its true ... I am alphabits' evil twin

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Moonie wrote:Ah ok.. but, will that work for those bastardly fire ants?
worth a try

:wink:

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Newsflash!! Mosquitos bite you and cows taste good!! :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

sonofabeach wrote:Newsflash!! Mosquitos bite you and cows taste good!! :lol:
"If God had intended us not to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of meat" - Homer Simpson. :D

LaTda
Inactive User

Post by LaTda »

rsgeist wrote:
LaTda wrote:

what a moron

Sometimes it is right on target & the most eloquent way to describe someone or their contribution to a thread you ninny :lol:

:roll: