The Bible

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Locked
UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

The Bible

Post by UAHparrothead »

We had such a good response to the Church thread, that I thought I would test the waters again. I am interested in your opinion of the Bible, what does it mean to you?, what is it?, who wrote it? Basically, what comes to mind when you think about the Bible? I am interested in all opinions from all persons, but let's try to keep things at a simmer and not boil over. :)

a1aara
Hoot!
Posts: 2777
Joined: April 27, 2004 1:04 pm
Number of Concerts: 75
Location: South of disorder

Post by a1aara »

Is it true that the Vatican have 3 or 4 books from the bible locked away from the world? Why? What are they trying to supress? I have heard several different theories.

FarsideCobbPH
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1593
Joined: February 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: ?
Number of Concerts: 19
Location: Carroll county, GA, and Fayette County GA and Destin florida
Contact:

Post by FarsideCobbPH »

The bible is THE greatest book!! It tells about the lfe and teching or the gretedst man who ever lived!! It is a "Roadmap", for life!!
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

fruityparrothead
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1714
Joined: March 20, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Stranded On A Sandbar
Favorite Boat Drink: Depends on the day...
Location: Addicted to Facebook/looking for BNers
Contact:

Post by fruityparrothead »

The Bible is the instruction book for life. I believe that many people use "quotes" out of context and build opinions based on their own misunderstanding of text. I just try to read it and understand what it means for MY life. I also try not to pass judgement on anyone else...cause trust me...I have no stone to throw.

To quote a Brooks & Dunn song: "I'm finding more and more truth, in the words written in red".

I know where my home is...and someday I'll get there...and live eternally in Heaven.

PROUD TO BE A CHRISTIAN!
Image

"When I pay my bills, gonna leave these Tennessee hills...(take myself), to the sea." Jimmy Buffett

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

So, here goes. I believe that Bible inspired word of God. Written by men who were directed by God. However, I have a hard time believing it literally, because it has been translated from the original languages and copied many times over, and I think that has an effect on its meaning. If you take the Bible absolutely literally, as translated into English, it seems to okay slavery and suppression of women, and I don't buy that. I have a very hard time believing that God meant for men to own other men, and for men to lord it over women. So I guess what I'm saying is that I believe there's room for varying interpretation of the scriptures.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

Post by UAHparrothead »

a1aara wrote:Is it true that the Vatican have 3 or 4 books from the bible locked away from the world? Why? What are they trying to supress? I have heard several different theories.
There are several texts that did not make it into the canonical book which we called the New Testament, these include the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene. The reason for this might be simply at that time that the New Testament was canonized, those texts were not as popular or as widely known as the ones that are in the NT, or there might be other reasons. The offical canon of the Roman Catholic Bible was argeed upon at the Council of Trent around 1546. The Protestant Bible came about after the Reformation, the difference between the two is in the Old Testament, where the Roman Catholic Bible contains the Apocrypha

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175012
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

Thinking here, Brad. :) I'll get back to ya.

Soraya
License to Chill
Posts: 1298
Joined: March 10, 2006 12:30 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: The Bible

Post by Soraya »

When I was a bartender the three topics I hated to see get started at the bar were the same my grandmother always told me should never be spoken of at the dinner table.

Money
Religion
Politics

I figure this thread covers at least two of those.
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6665
Joined: January 2, 2006 7:34 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wishing I was somewhere other than here...

Post by SharkOnLand »

a1aara wrote:Is it true that the Vatican have 3 or 4 books from the bible locked away from the world? Why? What are they trying to supress? I have heard several different theories.
Those are the books that tell of Jesus' rebellious college years. :o :lol:
Last edited by SharkOnLand on March 27, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

Re: The Bible

Post by UAHparrothead »

Soraya wrote:When I was a bartender the three topics I hated to see get started at the bar were the same my grandmother always told me should never be spoken of at the dinner table.

Money
Religion
Politics

I figure this thread covers at least two of those.
I understand where you are coming from. But my goal in this is not to start a big fuss or to pick a fight, but to gather a greater understanding of how people view the Bible from a variety of people and backgrounds

Soraya
License to Chill
Posts: 1298
Joined: March 10, 2006 12:30 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: The Bible

Post by Soraya »

UAHparrothead wrote: I understand where you are coming from. But my goal in this is not to start a big fuss or to pick a fight, but to gather a greater understanding of how people view the Bible from a variety of people and backgrounds
I understand that you are minister of some sort (I haven't been around to get the full story)...but I have to wonder why?

Threads like this often serve as nothing more then ways to alienate non-Christians. If someone isn't Christian...then their opinion on your holy book doesn't exactly matter.

I am bowing out now....I should know better....I guess I shouldn't be surprized....I mean, this board covers such a cross section of society (one of the reasons I was/am drawn to it) but I really hate to see religion brought up.....religion only divides. :(

***edited to fixe spelling only***
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10648
Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: Centennial, CO

Post by Quiet and Shy »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:So, here goes. I believe that Bible inspired word of God. Written by men who were directed by God. However, I have a hard time believing it literally, because it has been translated from the original languages and copied many times over, and I think that has an effect on its meaning. If you take the Bible absolutely literally, as translated into English, it seems to okay slavery and suppression of women, and I don't buy that. I have a very hard time believing that God meant for men to own other men, and for men to lord it over women. So I guess what I'm saying is that I believe there's room for varying interpretation of the scriptures.
What resonates with me is keeping the bible in the proper context. It is a collection of books, stories, etc. from different times and cultures that provide guidance vs. something which should be interpreted literally. In other words, the bible is a product of its times. For example, just because the Romans, Egyptians, others had slaves during different biblical times doesn't make slavery acceptable. Slavery was just a reality and part of history during those times. I guess I'm just more of a "how you behave" vs. "what you say/interpret" kind of person....put another way, I'm more comfortable with "get and act on the message" than "memorize and preach the text".
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Posts: 76378
Joined: January 11, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wherever the Music is Playing

Re: The Bible

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Soraya wrote:religon only divides. :(
Only if you let it. Actually, we've had some very enlightening conversations about religion, with widely varying viewpoints. The key is to keep it civil and learn from each other. I'm waiting for the expected posts from a couple of people who will refer to the Bible as a fairy tale. We have long since agreed to amiably disagree, but there's no reason we can't interact and talk about our opposing viewpoints. :D It's still interesting to me to learn why other people believe what they believe.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175012
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: The Bible

Post by SMLCHNG »

Soraya wrote: Threads like this often serve as nothing more then ways to alienate non-Christians. If someone isn't Christian...then their opinion on your holy book doesn't exactly matter.
Hey there Soraya! :) Amazingly enough, the 'religious' threads that Brad starts are always treated with respect here. Must be cause he's a Parrothead minister! 8) (and he's been known to call pholks an Asshat on occasion. :P ) He's just looking to increase his knowledge of folks opinions, feelings and thoughts, with all honesty. And he asks for ALL people's opinions. :)


I hope that helps you to understand that Brad means no ill will or controversy with starting this thread. :D

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

Re: The Bible

Post by UAHparrothead »

Soraya wrote:


Threads like this often serve as nothing more then ways to alienate non-Christians. If someone isn't Christian...then their opinion on your holy book doesn't exactly matter.
I am not seeking to divide and I think that the non-Christian view is, if not more, important to what I am trying to understand. I want to see what people, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, Scientologist, whatever think about this book.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50490
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Post by ph4ever »

1. Like fruityparrothead I believe the Bible is an instruction book for life.

2. Like SGH I believe that the Bible has been translated so many times by men that there is room for the translations to be altered to fit/suit the translator's beliefs.

But I also then wonder about thing you're hearing more these days. Like lost Books of the Bible as well as Mary Magdeline being a disciple as well.

Brad what are your views on this?
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Image


I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50490
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: The Bible

Post by ph4ever »

Soraya wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote: I understand where you are coming from. But my goal in this is not to start a big fuss or to pick a fight, but to gather a greater understanding of how people view the Bible from a variety of people and backgrounds
I understand that you are minister of some sort (I haven't been around to get the full story)...but I have to wonder why?

Threads like this often serve as nothing more then ways to alienate non-Christians. If someone isn't Christian...then their opinion on your holy book doesn't exactly matter.

I am bowing out now....I should know better....I guess I shouldn't be surprized....I mean, this board covers such a cross section of society (one of the reasons I was/am drawn to it) but I really hate to see religion brought up.....religion only divides. :(

***edited to fixe spelling only***

I have 3 things to say.

I have friends that are pagens, athesists and Christians, spritiualists, naturalists. We all get along together discussing our different beliefs because of respect. I've seen a known athiest of this board participate in religious discussions with no problem because everyone respected the other.

It seems to me as if no matter who you pray to - should you decide to pray - be it mother earth, father sun, Jah or God the ultimate supreme being is all the same, just known by different names.

People can obviously tell by the title of the thread what the subject is, if it is something that you don't believe or don't like you don't have to read it.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Image


I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

tikitatas
Last Man Standing
Posts: 30903
Joined: September 1, 2003 1:17 pm
Number of Concerts: 10
Location: NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA

Post by tikitatas »

I embrace the Bible's writings as tenets of philosophy that align with the writings of all the world's great faiths - kindness, grace, love and belief, building of spirit and the Golden Rule. I feel connected to the beauty of the words, but do not accept it as undeniable, unalterable truths.

Long ago, as a younger person, I studied comparative religion and investigated several faiths. This led me to a multi-philosophy approach that gives me strength and joy in each day. I love God and I pray to be a good steward of the earth and all that dwell on it. For my teaching I embrace the Buddhist path, but I do not close my eyes to other ways of loving and serving.
Cate



"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

Image

Soraya
License to Chill
Posts: 1298
Joined: March 10, 2006 12:30 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: The Bible

Post by Soraya »

ph4ever wrote: I have 3 things to say.

I have friends that are pagens, athesists and Christians, spritiualists, naturalists. We all get along together discussing our different beliefs because of respect. I've seen a known athiest of this board participate in religious discussions with no problem because everyone respected the other.

It seems to me as if no matter who you pray to - should you decide to pray - be it mother earth, father sun, Jah or God the ultimate supreme being is all the same, just known by different names.

People can obviously tell by the title of the thread what the subject is, if it is something that you don't believe or don't like you don't have to read it.
**I know I will live to regret this**

I do not mean to pick a fight..but you've just proven my point.

#1 - Respect is great...no quibble there. However Pagan is capitalized....just like any other religious group.

#2 - No, not everyone feels that all Gods are one God with just a different name. That is quite an insult to a hard polytheist when you basically say, "Oh, you really worship my God...you just use a different name." That is not how they see it.

#3 - Here is where you prove my poin and why I feel little good ever comes from religious discussion in a diverse group. You've just said "People can obviously tell by the title of the thread what the subject is, if it is something that you don't believe or don't like you don't have to read it."
Now, to me, and I may be reading this wrong because I am new here, that says, if you don't agree with the Christian view (because it is Christians that believe in the Bible) shut up and don't post.

I am sure that I will be considered a pariah after this....well...it was fun while it lasted.
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions

UAHparrothead
Party at the End of the World
Posts: 8973
Joined: April 23, 2003 1:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Contact:

Post by UAHparrothead »

ph4ever wrote:1. Like fruityparrothead I believe the Bible is an instruction book for life.

2. Like SGH I believe that the Bible has been translated so many times by men that there is room for the translations to be altered to fit/suit the translator's beliefs.

But I also then wonder about thing you're hearing more these days. Like lost Books of the Bible as well as Mary Magdeline being a disciple as well.

Brad what are your views on this?
The other books that did not make the canonical cut so to speak provide for interesting reading. The Gospel of Thomas provides narratives of Jesus' childhood in Eygpt, one interesting story is that of Jesus as a child striking a child dead after the child teased him and the bringing the child back to life.

I do feel that Mary Magdalene was a disciple and probably one of the closest to Jesus. Mary, in all four Gospels, was the first to see Jesus after the Resurrection. Being in a patriarchal society in which women were seen as untrustworthy, why would Jesus chose Mary to appear to if not because he had a close relationship with her. Does that mean they were married? I don't know. I know that the premise in The DaVinci Code is fictional, there was no Priory of Scion, or any evidence that Mary and Jesus had a child. But that's another thread.

Locked