Star Spangled Banner in Spanish!?!?!?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Lastplaneout
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 13

Star Spangled Banner in Spanish!?!?!?

Post by Lastplaneout »

Hell no...this is the last straw for me.....get a couple thousands trucks and ship all the bastards out .....right now

Spanish-Language Version Of 'Star-Spangled Banner' Draws Cries Of Protest

POSTED: 5:26 pm EDT April 27, 2006

MIAMI -- British music producer Adam Kidron says that when he came up with the idea of a Spanish-language version of the U.S. national anthem, he saw it as an ode to the millions of immigrants seeking a better life.

But in the week since Kidron announced the song -- which features artists such as Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon -- it has been the target of a fierce backlash.

Some Internet bloggers and others are infuriated by the thought of "The Star-Spangled Banner" sung in a language other than English. Others are outraged by an unreleased version with new and ardently pro-immigrant lyrics.

"Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not," said Mark Krikorian, head of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that supports tighter immigration controls.

The initial version of "Nuestro Himno," or "Our Anthem," comes out Friday and uses lyrics based closely on the English-language original, said Kidron, who heads the record label Urban Box Office.

Pro-immigration protests are planned around the country for Monday, and the record label is urging Hispanic radio stations nationwide to play the cut at 7 p.m. EDT Friday in a sign of solidarity.

A remix to be released in June will contain several lines in English that condemn U.S. immigration laws. Among them: "These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws ... let's not start a war with all these hard workers, they can't help where they were born."

Bryanna Bevens of Hanford, Calif., who writes for the immigration-focused Web magazine Vdare.com, said the remix particularly upset her.

"It's very whiny. If you want to say all those things, by all means, put them on your poster board, but don't put them on the national anthem," she said.

Kidron, a U.S. resident for 16 years, maintains the changes are fitting. After all, he notes, American immigrants borrowed the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song.

"There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate," Kidron said. "I wanted to show my thanks to these people who buy my records and listen to the music we release and do the jobs I don't want to do."

Kidron said the song will also be featured on the album "Somos Americanos," which will sell for $10, with $1 going to the National Capital Immigration Coalition, a Washington group.

Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Perez, said this country was built by immigrants, and "the meaning of the American dream is in that record: struggle, freedom, opportunity, everything they are trying to shut down on us."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz & i'm fine

Big Jimmy
User banned 30 days
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Big Jimmy »

you put the star spangled banner in Spanish-------- John Wayne will rise from the dead and have some nasty things to say.

Burny Charles
Spaminator

Post by Burny Charles »

I really could care less! In my years of spanish classes I learned that everything gets translated eventually. :lol: I found it odd in my younger years that the pledge of allegiance had been translated into spanish, now I just really dont care. If you can translate it, go ahead. I do take comfort in the fact though that there are certain words/ideals of any culture that will always be hard to translate from one language to another.

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

So
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

They want to stay here, then they pull this sh*t...

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

The problem I have with this is the same problem I have with most immigrants these days.
Most are making little or no attempt to assimilate with those of us that have lived here for some time.
What I mean by this is 100 years ago the first thing an immigrant did was try and learn the language and start to act like the "locals" did. These days there is little attempt to do so. All that does is set them up to fail. We speak English in this country; we are not going to change that anytime soon. If you don't know the language you are not going to succeed. If you live in an area where people speak a language other than English you are going to live in an area full of unsuccessful people.
It's fine to keep your culture, but if you CHOOSE to move here it is your obligation to assimilate and become a productive member of OUR society.
Singing the National Anthem in Spanish is a perfect example, learn English and a little history of the country you now live in and you will understand the song and it's meaning.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

Well said, Port.

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

Burny Charles wrote:I really could care less! In my years of spanish classes I learned that everything gets translated eventually. :lol: I found it odd in my younger years that the pledge of allegiance had been translated into spanish, now I just really dont care. If you can translate it, go ahead. I do take comfort in the fact though that there are certain words/ideals of any culture that will always be hard to translate from one language to another.
I saw this on the national news last night. I wish I could find the words from the translation. They said they changed the words, not due to translation, but so the words would rhyme. It didn't even come close to our version.

Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

I've seen English translations of most countries national athems. **shrugs**

I just don't see the problem....it's still the National Athem of the US....if they want to celebrate the United States....does the language really matter.

All these protests at the Spanish language just seem to me like justified racism.
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by alphabits »

So I guess this version starts off "Jose, can you see ...."

Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

alphabits wrote:So I guess this version starts off "Jose, can you see ...."
No.

¿Amenece, lo veis?, a la luz de la aurora?

--Coastal Confessions

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Both my Grandmothers could/would sing it in German

BahamaBreeze
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Shots of good tequila

Post by BahamaBreeze »

alphabits wrote:So I guess this version starts off "Jose, can you see ...."
Quick thinking there...Oh say / Jose... :lol:

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

NYCPORT wrote:The problem I have with this is the same problem I have with most immigrants these days.
Most are making little or no attempt to assimilate with those of us that have lived here for some time.
What I mean by this is 100 years ago the first thing an immigrant did was try and learn the language and start to act like the "locals" did. These days there is little attempt to do so. All that does is set them up to fail. We speak English in this country; we are not going to change that anytime soon. If you don't know the language you are not going to succeed. If you live in an area where people speak a language other than English you are going to live in an area full of unsuccessful people.
It's fine to keep your culture, but if you CHOOSE to move here it is your obligation to assimilate and become a productive member of OUR society.
Singing the National Anthem in Spanish is a perfect example, learn English and a little history of the country you now live in and you will understand the song and it's meaning.
Isn't this kind of thinking the reason the USA was created in the first place? The quakers/whatever other group didn't like the persecution they faced in Britain, so they migrated here to get away from that? The colonists didn't like being subject to britain's laws without representation, so they rebelled?

The mindset that "they're moving here, they should adapt to us" is a little short-sighted to me... shouldn't there be a little give and take?

I'm really on the fence about the whole immigration thing... granted the illegal aliens do take jobs, etc., from full-fledged citizens, but a lot of them do work that no one else wants to do. If it weren't for all the migrant farm workers around here, the price of potatoes would be probably twice what it is now, or some farmers wouldn't be able to make it...

Granted, illegals probably shouldn't have the same rights as the average citizen, but the ideals this country was founded on... "All men are created equal" I'm torn....
Image Image

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Quote: Lady Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

If its good enough for her, it works for me

Burny Charles
Spaminator

Post by Burny Charles »

We started this whole mess when we translated La Bamba.

Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

Burny Charles wrote:We started this whole mess when we translated La Bamba.
ROTF! This is a good one.

I showed this to my co-worker (who ass many folks here know who have seen my posts about turning her into a Buffett fan, is Mexican).

She burst out laughing. The office thought we were nuts (well, they already know that!)

--Coastal Confessions

bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

Cubbie Bear wrote:Quote: Lady Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

If its good enough for her, it works for me
I read that a couple times and still don't see where Lady Liberty indicates her desire to have a national anthem in Spanish.

Like it or not, every society has a dominate culture, one that dictates norms for behavior includijng but not limited to courtship, marriage, child rearing, religion, education, language and grammar. Like it or not every successful society requires of those outside of the dominant culture be assimiliated into it, requiring an absorbtion into the culture or mores of a population or group, in this case the dominant culture which as a ritual and ceremony and as a representation of our national unity and recongnizing English as the dominant and accepted language is displayed openly when the National Anthem is sung in English, not when sung in Spanish.
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter

bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

Soraya wrote:
Burny Charles wrote:We started this whole mess when we translated La Bamba.
ROTF! This is a good one.

I showed this to my co-worker (who ass many folks here know who have seen my posts about turning her into a Buffett fan, is Mexican).[/quote]

Obviously you are not from Southern Cal....its Latina, you would have been mobbed for saying that outloud
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter

Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

bumper wrote:recongnizing English as the dominant and accepted language is displayed openly when the National Anthem is sung in English, not when sung in Spanish.
And what about the poster who remembers her grandmothers singing it in German? Were I grew up there was a large Slovak population. I heard the pledge many times at community events in Slovak over the years.

They were very patriotic as a community, they lost many members of their community during the Baatan Death March in WWII...they still said the Pledge in Slovak....how does using a language that is not the domiate one all of a sudden become a bad thing?

--Coastal Confessions