Star Spangled Banner in Spanish!?!?!?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

bumper
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by bumper »

Soraya wrote:
bumper wrote:recongnizing English as the dominant and accepted language is displayed openly when the National Anthem is sung in English, not when sung in Spanish.
And what about the poster who remembers her grandmothers singing it in German? Were I grew up there was a large Slovak population. I heard the pledge many times at community events in Slovak over the years.

They were very patriotic as a community, they lost many members of their community during the Baatan Death March in WWII...they still said the Pledge in Slovak....how does using a language that is not the domiate one all of a sudden become a bad thing?
You're equating if not dominant then it's bad. I would bet her dauther/son and grandchildren sing it in English...that is assimilation not pluralism. Generally first generation immigrants have a strong connection with their ancestoral culture where the the second and third begin breaking away and adhering to the dominant culture
--------------------------------------------------------
Image There is no place like Cabo in the winter
NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 106
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Correct. Yet the current trend is to continue operating as though they were living at home as long as they can. That doesn't allow for an all inclusive society.
I have no problem with people who want to come here and work to better themselves. The problem is that we will not be "one nation" if we all speak different languages ALL THE TIME. They should be making much more of an effort to blend with us in my opinion.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

Soraya wrote:
bumper wrote:recongnizing English as the dominant and accepted language is displayed openly when the National Anthem is sung in English, not when sung in Spanish.
And what about the poster who remembers her grandmothers singing it in German? Were I grew up there was a large Slovak population. I heard the pledge many times at community events in Slovak over the years.

They were very patriotic as a community, they lost many members of their community during the Baatan Death March in WWII...they still said the Pledge in Slovak....how does using a language that is not the domiate one all of a sudden become a bad thing?

+++You're equating if not dominant then it's bad. +++

No, I am not. It is others that are equating different as bad.

+++ I would bet her dauther/son and grandchildren sing it in English...that is assimilation not pluralism. +++

And many Mexican's are first generation immigrants. Their children are more American....they know the language, they relate as Americans.

+++Generally first generation immigrants have a strong connection with their ancestoral culture where the the second and third begin breaking away and adhering to the dominant culture
[b]
I am a First Generation American. I understand the dynamic. I think it just scares the crap out of many Americans because it isn't isolated communities and a few individuals going through this process....it's a large and vocal community. I don't see the reason to be scared.

This happened when the Irish came over in numbers. Up until the 50s (when Black civil rights took the center stage) many places the Irish and Catholics were treated like this. Now, it is the Mexicans that are going through the process.

We can either continue to marginalize a good percentage of our society because of prejudice, fear and outright stupidity, or we can embrace the change and be revitalized by it. The alternative is that we allow xenophobes and bigots continue cut off our collective nose to spite their face.[/b]
[/size]
Well I’m a tidal pool explorer
From the days of my misspent youth
I believe that down on the beach
Where the seagulls preach
Is where the Chinese buried the truth...

--Coastal Confessions
Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

All this is nothing new. Every city, Chicago especially has its ethnic centers/neighborhoods where the language of the homeland is the dominant laguage.

Milwaukee and Division area would be the second largest city in Poland. I did social work there for years. There were block after block of businesses where only Polish was spoken. A Daily newspaper in Polish. Catholic Churches with Polish services.

Then there is "Little Italy", Chinatown, same thing applies. We historically have allowed, tolerated and nurtured this culteral diversity. Now, all of a sudden it is evil. I don't get it. My maternal grandfather was an immigrant. The rest of my family is just one generation removed (maternal and paternal great grandparents) None of us would be here without it.

If some people wish to express their love for their new home in the language they are most comfortable in, I see it as flattery, not insult. Short of people in my Mother and Fathers generation. The most heartfelt expressions of love I have ever witnessed for this country, was doing social work at that Settlement House in Chicago, by Polish, Puerto Rican, Domincan, Cuban and other immigrants
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

how does using a language that is not the domiate one all of a sudden become a bad thing?

Was I wrong in reading your inference?

And many Mexican's are first generation immigrants. Their children are more American....they know the language, they relate as Americans.

What does that mean? First generation, read, first born, is more American and less Mexican?

This happened when the Irish came over in numbers. Up until the 50s (when Black civil rights took the center stage) many places the Irish and Catholics were treated like this. Now, it is the Mexicans that are going through the process.

Now you're suggesting it's a cultural issue not a color issue? what process? fighting assimilation or fighting to be pluralistic?

We can either continue to marginalize a good percentage of our society because of prejudice, fear and outright stupidity, or we can embrace the change and be revitalized by it. The alternative is that we allow xenophobes and bigots continue cut off our collective nose to spite their face.

Are you suggesting minority groups who wish to be independent of the dominant culture do not make depends upon society?

Take yer time with the one, name another country like the U.S. that would accept such behavior from their immigrant population. As an example, Finland processes many immigrants.... Russia, Estonia, Africa..they are required to learn the language and the culture by attending classes designed to help them with assimilation. Does that make the Fins Xenophobes, bigots, stupid or scared?

and for your quote in bold black, because Bubba said it has no impact. He is a performer, one which I contribute funds to couple times a year along with several of his sponsors. Personally I don't know the guy but if that's his philosophy he gets as much credence as the next guy walking the street offering an opinion.

Cubbie wrote
All this is nothing new. Every city, Chicago especially has its ethnic centers/neighborhoods where the language of the homeland is the dominant laguage.

Much broader stroke Cubbie and if in social work though I do not know to what extent, a large portion of the job is helping those who need assimilation, assimilate. Though social work promotes understanding different cultures, different norms the end result is adherence to broader socially defined roles. I've yet to meet any social worker who while working in an enclave demanded a certain language be spoken...but I've met many who find services for those willing to learn the language in order to get by.
tikitatas
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by tikitatas »

"O Canada" has English and French versions. At many public events, it is sung half and half. Although the lyrics translate differently, both contain a reverent tribute to "our home and native land."
Cate

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

tikitatas wrote:"O Canada" has English and French versions. At many public events, it is sung half and half. Although the lyrics translate differently, both contain a reverent tribute to "our home and native land."
You Canuckians are just plain crazy, though... :)
Image Image
tikitatas
Last Man Standing

Post by tikitatas »

SharkOnLand wrote:
tikitatas wrote:"O Canada" has English and French versions. At many public events, it is sung half and half. Although the lyrics translate differently, both contain a reverent tribute to "our home and native land."
You Canuckians are just plain crazy, though... :)
Yes, yes we ARE! :D
Cate

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

We fished with a couple fellas from BC...not a kind word spoken about Quebec.. :D :wink:
Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

bumper wrote:We fished with a couple fellas from BC...not a kind word spoken about Quebec.. :D :wink:
And the same would be said about the rest of Canada if you were fishing with someoen from Quebec. It goes both ways.

However, the issues between Quebec and the rest of the nation have nothing to do with Canada having two languages.

Heck, Switzerland has 4.

--Coastal Confessions
NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 106
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Soraya wrote:
bumper wrote:We fished with a couple fellas from BC...not a kind word spoken about Quebec.. :D :wink:
And the same would be said about the rest of Canada if you were fishing with someoen from Quebec. It goes both ways.

However, the issues between Quebec and the rest of the nation have nothing to do with Canada having two languages.

Heck, Switzerland has 4.
And someone who moves to Switzerland should try as hard as they can to learn one of those 4 languages.
Last edited by NYCPORT on April 28, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8
tikitatas
Last Man Standing

Post by tikitatas »

French speaking is not confined to Quebec; there are French communities in almost every province of Canada. B.C. might be the exception.
Cate

bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

Ya think?

We certainly will disagree on that issue

I would never fish in or around Quebec so no matter.
Last edited by bumper on April 28, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

NYCPORT wrote:
Soraya wrote:

Heck, Switzerland has 4.
And someone who moves to Switzerland should try as hard as they can to learn of of those 4 languages.
Due to what I am sure is a typo....do you mean they should learn one of the 4, or all of the 4? (German, French, Italian and Romansh).

--Coastal Confessions
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

tikitatas wrote:
French speaking is not confined to Quebec; there are French communities in almost every province of Canada. B.C. might be the exception.
Short of being argumentative, the French traditionally have high density rates in and around Quebec....kind of like Texas and California have high density rates of hispanics..but there are some in Minot North Dakota, maybe
Soraya
License to Chill

Post by Soraya »

bumper wrote:And the same would be said about the rest of Canada if you were fishing with someoen from Quebec. It goes both ways.

Ya think?

I believe, that natural resources are a much bigger issue then language.

Why wouldn't you want to go fishing up there? They have some great lakes for trout up there. Pretty country as well.

--Coastal Confessions
tikitatas
Last Man Standing

Post by tikitatas »

bumper wrote:
tikitatas wrote:
Short of being argumentative, the French traditionally have high density rates in and around Quebec....kind of like Texas and California have high density rates of hispanics..but there are some in Minot North Dakota, maybe
I'm Canadian. Nova Scotian. I know the majority live in Quebec. The French pre-dated the English here. Educate yourself about the Franco-Ontarians, the Acadians in NS, NB, and PEI, the Franco-Manitobans. A couple of fellas from BC do not reflect the feelings of all Canadians towards one of our two official languages or its people.
Cate

bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

Soraya wrote:
bumper wrote:And the same would be said about the rest of Canada if you were fishing with someoen from Quebec. It goes both ways.

Ya think?

I believe, that natural resources are a much bigger issue then language.

Why wouldn't you want to go fishing up there? They have some great lakes for trout up there. Pretty country as well.
Alaska, much closer..mosquitos almost as big,,,,only issue are the Natives, they can be a tad aggressive if they feel you encroaching on their turf, but they can hunt moose by spotlight so that evens things out.
bumper
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bumper »

tikitatas wrote:
bumper wrote:
tikitatas wrote:
I'm Canadian. Nova Scotian. I know the majority live in Quebec. The French pre-dated the English here. Educate yourself about the Franco-Ontarians, the Acadians in NS, NB, and PEI, the Franco-Manitobans. A couple of fellas from BC do not reflect the feelings of all Canadians towards one of our two official languages or its people.
Makes no difference to me if your Canadian, you might know as much as I do about the U.S......so what. I made a general statement about population density in and around Quebec, was I wrong? No

I would go to Novia Scotia for the giant Bluefin though
tikitatas
Last Man Standing

Post by tikitatas »

bumper wrote:
tikitatas wrote:
bumper wrote:
tikitatas wrote:
Makes no difference to me if your Canadian, you might know as much as I do about the U.S......so what. I made a general statement about population density in and around Quebec, was I wrong? No

I would go to Novia Scotia for the giant Bluefin though
Maybe I did not understand, sorry. The thread was about translating a national anthem. You mentioned how the men from BC said disparaging things about Quebec.

We have lots of great fishing in Nova Scotia! 8) And Jimmy himself has fished at my brother's salmon lodge in Newfoundland!
Cate