The Official World Cup 2006 thread...

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

The Official World Cup 2006 thread...

Post by Lightning Bolt »

WORLD CUP 2006 KICKS OFF TODAY!!!

:D :pirate: :D :wench: :D :pirate: :D :wench: :D :pirate: :D :wench: :D :pirate: :D :wench:

I know that there are other fans of the Beautiful Game out there and
are pumped up for the competition like me!

I'm naturally backing the great USA eleven, and I feel confident we can get points from Monday's match with the Czechs, and take THREE from the I-ties
to move into the knockoff stage.

When I'm not rooting for our lads, it'll be England who's next up, and I'm gonna be down at Shakespeare's tomorrow morning at DAYBREAK to watch and sing along with my cousins from across the pond. COME ON - ENG-LAND!!!

It all starts in 15 minutes, so let's see if host Deutchland can hold it together
and not trip up over their own high expectations for this great tourney!!!

Who are you cheering for???

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Actually you're wrong there are no other fans of your "beautiful game" here. No go back to Europe and find some other geeky looking people to talk to about your 'beautiful game". :P

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

Watching soccer and/or thinking about soccer gives me gas & general discomfort. Let's go METS.
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

This is about as interesting as Brad & Angelina's baby. Or NASCAR
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

sports media in this country have been trying to force feed us this crap for years.... just give up, soccer does not appeal to 99% of people in this country. I would rather watch a turd float in a toilet than a soccer game. 2 hours of running up and down a field and more than likely the score will end up 1 - 0.

iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

SO... VERY... EXCITED!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

iuparrothead wrote:SO... VERY... EXCITED!!! :D :D :D :D :D
so you're the one :lol:.

Congrats on your graduation.

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

RAGTOP wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:SO... VERY... EXCITED!!! :D :D :D :D :D
so you're the one :lol:.
She's a Cubs fan, I think that explains it

smacky
I have found me a home

Post by smacky »

I'm excited, but only because three African teams (Togo, Ghana, and Ivory Coast) qualified for the first time ever. (I lived in Africa for 3 years.) Since Ivory Coast has been basically torn in two between the government in the south and the rebels in the north, it's nice to see them calling a truce (at least momentarily) to root for their country's team.

And the audience with whom you watch soccer ("football" to the rest of the world!) makes a BIG difference. I'd bet baseball bores the crap out of a lot of people around the world as well. At least soccer has movement the entire time. Baseball is a pitcher, a (potential) hitter, and seven other guys standing around.

Just my opinion, okay?

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

smacky wrote: And the audience with whom you watch soccer ("football" to the rest of the world!) makes a BIG difference.
Just my opinion, okay?
why is it more enjoyable if your not watching it with a bunch of European racists that taunt the black players :-? I'll pass either way.

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

meh.
Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Until we become a full fledged third world country, instead of just having pockets of third worldness like we do now, soccer will never be more than a fringe sport.

creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

The WORLD GAME

and my country is playing in the biggest sporting competition in the world!!

I AM PROUD!!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OYE OYE OYE

(and someone did post that Buffett would stop touring when Aussie wins the world cup - so you might wanna get interested :lol: )

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

creeky wrote:...and someone did post that Buffett would stop touring when Aussie wins the world cup - so you might wanna get interested :lol: )
you tell 'em, Jenny! :roll: :o

...wait, that was me who said that!
You'd best enjoy that 10-day vacation in Europe :wink: :lol:

As for the New Yawkers whining about why they hate to watch a game where you don't use your hands...
you'd think they'd appreciate all the pocket-picking opportunities
of all those MULTI-MILLIONS of fans who ARE watching!

ah well. no big loss :roll: :wink: :lol:
For a few weeks, at least, your lines will be a lot shorter at Coney Island!
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

creeky
Last Man Standing

Post by creeky »

I think we are actually a GOOD chance of making it through the group matches.

Brazil is obv a problem in our group :roll: but it is rather wide open from there ...... and most of our players are based in England/Europe and of a high standard - so we might just surprise everyone!!!

Sam
Inactive User

Post by Sam »

I admit I am not a soccer fan. But that is beside the point! Considering how many nations and countries that do play soccer and I am proud of the players that qualify and make it to the competion. It trully is a WORLD WIDE SPORT!!! May the best team win!!!

Look at baseball in America...World Series ??? HELLO!!!! How many other nations or countries participate in it? Oh yeah where are all the teams from and it is called the WORLD SERIES??? :o :roll: How many nations and countries including the US, participate in the World's Cup?

I do think a lot of soccer fans need to tone it down a bit, after all how many people have been killed by or in the riots/fights that have followed some of the GAMES..............??? That conduct and violence is inexcusable.
Roll with the punches, play all of your hunches...come what may...
Image POW-MIA, YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!
SUPPORT OPERATION JUST CAUSE!!!
http://www.ojc.org/

creeky
Last Man Standing

Post by creeky »

Sam wrote:I admit I am not a soccer fan. But that is beside the point! Considering how many nations and countries that do play soccer and I am proud of the players that qualify and make it to the competion. It trully is a WORLD WIDE SPORT!!! May the best team win!!!

Look at baseball in America...World Series ??? HELLO!!!! How many other nations or countries participate in it? Oh yeah where are all the teams from and it is called the WORLD SERIES??? :o :roll: How many nations and countries including the US, participate in the World's Cup?

I do think a lot of soccer fans need to tone it down a bit, after all how many people have been killed by or in the riots/fights that have followed some of the GAMES..............??? That conduct and violence is inexcusable.
I have to agree with ya Sam ..... remember how one of the players from a South American country was killed when their team did not make the finals???

And the english supporters :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sam
Inactive User

Post by Sam »

creeky wrote:
Sam wrote:I admit I am not a soccer fan. But that is beside the point! Considering how many nations and countries that do play soccer and I am proud of the players that qualify and make it to the competion. It trully is a WORLD WIDE SPORT!!! May the best team win!!!

I have to agree with ya Sam ..... remember how one of the players from a South American country was killed when their team did not make the finals???

Thanks 8)
I admit I don't follow the sport. I just catch news of it from time to time, and occasionally might hear a bit from someone that does follow it. The deaths and injuries have made the news pretty much all oer the world.

I hope they put an end to such... though I do have my doubts.

I do find it saddening that such happens and it is a sport and a game

creeky
Last Man Standing

Post by creeky »

Sam wrote:
creeky wrote:

Thanks 8)
I admit I don't follow the sport. I just catch news of it from time to time, and occasionally might hear a bit from someone that does follow it. The deaths and injuries have made the news pretty much all oer the world.

Some people I know have gone over to Germany for the World Cup - I just told them you would not catch me there - you dont know when there will be a riot unfortunately ......

I dont follow soccer regularly myself - but do follow anything that my country is involved in at a international level - and over the last few months have gotten totally into soccer!!!

Sam
Inactive User

Post by Sam »

creeky wrote:
Sam wrote:
creeky wrote:

Thanks 8)

Some people I know have gone over to Germany for the World Cup - I just told them you would not catch me there - you dont know when there will be a riot unfortunately ......

I dont follow soccer regularly myself - but do follow anything that my country is involved in at a international level - and over the last few months have gotten totally into soccer!!!
The riots and violence have occured in several countries, all for no real reason. Sure there are various excuses. But it is only a game and for bragging Rights only. No reason to riot or to kill anyone. People being trampled to death, etc. Give me a BLEEPING break.