Opinions on DVR service

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

DVR service???

Love it
89%
Like it
7%
Hate it
4%

Total votes: 28

land_shark3
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by land_shark3 »

Of if you have an old computer or you are using a desktop, you can create your own DVR.

For about $80 you can run the cable through your computer. There is programming to select what time slots you want to save. Unlike DVR, you can't just say record show "XYZ" but you also don't have to pay a monthly fee.
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I'm getting two DVRs on Tuesday when my Dish Network is installed 8)

Good riddance ComLAST!!!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I don't have a DVR, and wouldn't know how to use the d*mn thing if I did.

But, since my 8 year old nephew was so gracious of his time when I needed him to hook up my VCR, DVD player, and computer, maybe he'd be able to help me with a DVR.

I AM, however, pretty good with the paddle, ball, and string. :roll:

carey24
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by carey24 »

I do love it. When I'm bored I can go back through and find shows I missed. I also tivo some for a friend who is away at school. She watches them when she gets home.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Wino you know wrote:I don't have a DVR, and wouldn't know how to use the d*mn thing if I did.

But, since my 8 year old nephew was so gracious of his time when I needed him to hook up my VCR, DVD player, and computer, maybe he'd be able to help me with a DVR.

I AM, however, pretty good with the paddle, ball, and string. :roll:
so remember: if you ever need a tin cans-and-string phone fixed, call Garry... :D

spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Post by spartan1979 »

TiVo has changed my life.

OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I have comcast's dvr with two channel recording. I love this. I couldn't do without it. I don't worry about missing any show and have found shows I probably would never have watched without it. But comcast is friggin $$$$ for everything. $9.99 per month for the service.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

SharkOnLand wrote:I'm getting one next week, when my DirecTV is installed... I'll let ya know.
Well, after using it for a month or so, I have no idea how we lived without it before... We've had a few 'glitches', the receiver has locked up on us a couple times.. but man, it's FANTASTIC, even with the minor issues we've had.

There's no more "What did they just say?", you just hit rewind and listen again. Or if you get up to get a drink or something, and miss the show coming back from commercial, rewind. And being able to record one show on another channel while you're watching one means you never have to choose between Gray's Anatomy and CSI. :P

It's better than sliced bread. (Although I never quite got why sliced bread was so great in the first place... :P )
Image Image

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I like it a lot. You won't regret getting it.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I added a High Def one to my comcast for an extra $4.95 a month and so far I love it.
btw I kept Dish Network for one week and cancelled...their HD package blows vompared to comcast. Even radiomargaritaville could not save it.
Last edited by sonofabeach on October 6, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

i have dish with dual dvr's works great, really easy to use. my mom who still can't figure out her own tv/vcr figured it out without even looking at the user guide.

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

rogue
I have found me a home

Post by rogue »

We have one and LOVE it!!! We tape shows we like and watch them on the nights/weekend when there is nothing on. AND you still get to fast forward the commercials!!!!!!!! :D :D I also tape favorite movies instead of having to rent or buy them. And you don't have to delete them after you view them.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no place to "permanetly" store some things. There are limits to how long it will save a program and space savers. If you record too much or it has been saved for a while the unit erases the oldest show(s), like it or not. :-?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Indiana Jolly Mon
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Free and cold
Location: Don't know, and Ill be damned if im gonna ask for directions!

Post by Indiana Jolly Mon »

I absolutely love it. With work and two young kids we watch very little TV now anyway, but now we can watch those shows when we want with NO commercials. And go with dual so you can record two at once, or record one while watching another. Mine was $70.00 and the same $4.95/month that a regular tuner costs.
With that and NFL ticket, I go on my roof and hug my DirecTV sattellite weekly!!!!!
And as a side note, it is incredibly easy to use and it will save shows that YOU record for a long time, deletes the shows it chooses first. I have had sportscentury on Payton on it for over two years now.
M.K. "You should never use any of the 13 bad words!"
S.T. "I thought there were only 7 bad words?"
M.K. "Not if you're a sailor."

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

rogue wrote:We have one and LOVE it!!! We tape shows we like and watch them on the nights/weekend when there is nothing on. AND you still get to fast forward the commercials!!!!!!!! :D :D I also tape favorite movies instead of having to rent or buy them. And you don't have to delete them after you view them.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no place to "permanetly" store some things. There are limits to how long it will save a program and space savers. If you record too much or it has been saved for a while the unit erases the oldest show(s), like it or not. :-?
1-800-Directv... :P :P

rogue
I have found me a home

Post by rogue »

ragtopW wrote:
rogue wrote:We have one and LOVE it!!! We tape shows we like and watch them on the nights/weekend when there is nothing on. AND you still get to fast forward the commercials!!!!!!!! :D :D I also tape favorite movies instead of having to rent or buy them. And you don't have to delete them after you view them.

1-800-Directv... :P :P
very funny Brother [smilie=giggle.gif]
ImageImage
ImageImage

iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

I like ours... the entire 3 days we've had it now! :lol:
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'