Page 1 of 1

If you were here

Posted: May 7, 2007 2:24 pm
by OceanCityGirl
I'd buy you a drink.
At 4a.m. I finished my thesis paper. All 110 pages of it. I can't believe it. I had to email off a copy of it right away so i'd stop making changes and adding things. When I finished my rough draft i had 72 pages. It grew and grew and grew. Now I send it off to be bound and covered. Then copies go in several university libraries and eventually online. I am so proud and so sick of the topic.
Treasure Hunters vs. Underwater Archaeologists and Academics : How wreck divers created a science
Controversy already as the two emails I received from underwater archaeologists were very negative and they refused to even give me a quote.
I am getting masters degree credit for the paper as it was a special advanced class.
Now I want to go read the most brainless fluff I can find.

Re: If you were here

Posted: May 7, 2007 2:27 pm
by LIPH
OceanCityGirl wrote:Now I want to go read the most brainless fluff I can find.
Do they sell the NY Post down there? :lol:

Posted: May 7, 2007 2:27 pm
by jackiesic
Great job OCG!!!
Now, go grab a copy of the National Enquirer!!! :D

Posted: May 7, 2007 2:28 pm
by chippewa
I think if I were there I'd buy you a drink! Congratulations! [smilie=coolup.gif]

Posted: May 7, 2007 2:56 pm
by Brown Eyed Girl
chippewa wrote:I think if I were there I'd buy you a drink! Congratulations! [smilie=coolup.gif]
Ditto! I know how hard you've been working on this...and how much research you've done. And as you know...I think you picked a fascinating topic! WTG! :D

Re: If you were here

Posted: May 7, 2007 3:08 pm
by ~Hippolyte~
OceanCityGirl wrote:Image
and If I were the man that you wanted....


congrats on completing. I'm not sure I'd want to read 110 pages, let alone write it.....though your 110 sounds interesting.

Re: If you were here

Posted: May 7, 2007 3:17 pm
by surfpirate
OceanCityGirl wrote:I'd buy you a drink.
At 4a.m. I finished my thesis paper. All 110 pages of it. I can't believe it. I had to email off a copy of it right away so i'd stop making changes and adding things. When I finished my rough draft i had 72 pages. It grew and grew and grew. Now I send it off to be bound and covered. Then copies go in several university libraries and eventually online. I am so proud and so sick of the topic.
Treasure Hunters vs. Underwater Archaeologists and Academics : How wreck divers created a science
Controversy already as the two emails I received from underwater archaeologists were very negative and they refused to even give me a quote.
I am getting masters degree credit for the paper as it was a special advanced class.
Now I want to go read the most brainless fluff I can find.
Cool. And Congratulations!! I'm way impressed. I think I'd actually like to read it. I love this stuff be it real (Mel Fisher) or fiction (Clive Cussler's novels).

Posted: May 7, 2007 3:29 pm
by OceanCityGirl
mel Fisher was an incredibly cool guy with a big dream. He and the other treasure hunters of his era get a very bad rap from the underwater archaeologists. Basically, they didn't care at all about the wrecks off of florida. In fact there was no such field as underwater archaeology in any form until the late 70's and no degreed programs until the 80's. Those wrecks were considered to modern to interest archaeologists. And they knew they'd been plundered and smashed around considering how in-land they were. Then Mel makes his big find and suddenly he's robbing history. His excellent archaeologist and historical researcher were black-balled by the academic community and they can only be published in secular texts. So nobody wanted these wrecks, then they saw what these crazy guys were doing in the keys, wanted to do the same thing with more preservation and tried to drive all the treasure hunters away. They didn't care that the treasure hunters were doing good research and putting alot of finds in museums. All they cared about is that they did some of it for money making it soiled.

Posted: May 7, 2007 3:39 pm
by surfpirate
OceanCityGirl wrote:mel Fisher was an incredibly cool guy with a big dream. He and the other treasure hunters of his era get a very bad rap from the underwater archaeologists. Basically, they didn't care at all about the wrecks off of florida. In fact there was no such field as underwater archaeology in any form until the late 70's and no degreed programs until the 80's. Those wrecks were considered to modern to interest archaeologists. And they knew they'd been plundered and smashed around considering how in-land they were. Then Mel makes his big find and suddenly he's robbing history. His excellent archaeologist and historical researcher were black-balled by the academic community and they can only be published in secular texts. So nobody wanted these wrecks, then they saw what these crazy guys were doing in the keys, wanted to do the same thing with more preservation and tried to drive all the treasure hunters away. They didn't care that the treasure hunters were doing good research and putting alot of finds in museums. All they cared about is that they did some of it for money making it soiled.
Some friends of mine who lived in Old Towne Key West over on William Street between Caroline and Eaton for many years were a part of Mel Fisher's original investment team. They were small investors and re-upped a few times over the many years, but they were still there with Mel when he made his big find. They were with him during the tough times too when he lost family members out at sea.

One of my favorite possessions is a silver coin from the Atocha. It's mounted and I wear it on a gold chain constantly.

So when/how do I get a chance to read your thesis? I was serious, I'd love to read it someday.

Posted: May 7, 2007 4:35 pm
by Skibo
Brainless fluff

It's all true too.

Posted: May 7, 2007 8:40 pm
by Reefdiver
Being a diver and an "almost" Mel Fisher investor, I too would be interested in reading your thesis OCGirl. I say "almost" investor because I really just couldnt justify handing over $10,000 for the chance to dive the Atocha once a year, and maybe, possibly get to share in the remaining finds................ although I know there is still much to bring up from The Atocha. I did plunk down some $$$ on my last trip to Key West for a bracelet that was made from the silver that was raised from the Atocha. :pirate:

Posted: May 7, 2007 8:44 pm
by Big Jimmy
Singin AC/DC's Have A Drink On Me

Image

Posted: May 7, 2007 10:25 pm
by OceanCityGirl
I will offer to pass it on when it gets bound. Thanks guys.

Posted: May 7, 2007 10:53 pm
by springparrot
Congrats OCG!!!!!

Posted: May 8, 2007 1:09 am
by whitepelican
Congratulations a huge accomplishment and one to be proud of.
Cheers to you. [smilie=thatworks.gif]

Posted: May 8, 2007 5:48 am
by mommar
Congrats to you OCG! :) Add me to the list of those that would be interested in reading it too.Image

Posted: May 8, 2007 6:06 am
by RinglingRingling
Big Jimmy wrote:Singin AC/DC's Have A Drink On Me

Image
good lord that is a large bottle of Everclear...

Posted: May 8, 2007 6:07 am
by RinglingRingling
Congratulations...

You could read the last month's worth of People... that should get you into the mindless fluff and out of it again. :)