Cancer enters the 08 political race!

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Will you watch? Tell me why

Poll ended at September 3, 2007 10:41 pm

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 12

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Cancer enters the 08 political race!

Post by docandjeanie »

Please watch this event and submit a question if you wish.

We all know someone who has been affected by this terrible disease. Go Lance, make us proud. I'll be watching.

Thanks,

[smilie=battingeyes.gif] Jeanie

Dear Friend,
Four years ago cancer was not mentioned during the presidential election campaign. Today, the LIVESTRONG Army has made fighting cancer part of the national dialogue. For the next five days leading media, presidential candidates and citizens across the country will discuss how to stop the number one killer of all Americans under the age of 85.
Next Monday, August 27, and Tuesday, August 28, I will walk onto the stage at the U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to ask the presidential hopefuls to share their ideas and strategies on how to fight cancer in the first-ever LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum. This historic event will be discussed on NBC's Meet the Press with Tim Russert, webcast live on MSNBC.com and featured on Hardball with Chris Matthews.
As a member of the LIVESTRONG Army, I need your help to make sure Americans across the country are tuned in, asking questions and demanding answers from the presidential candidates.
Watch Meet the Press with Tim Russert. I will be a guest on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday, August 26, talking about the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum. Check local listings for times and channels.
Watch the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum. MSNBC will webcast the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum live at 10:00 am CT on August 27 and 28. MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews will be broadcast live from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, each night.
>> Click this link on Monday, August 27, and Tuesday, August 28, to load MSNBC.com's video player to watch the Forum.
>> Check MSNBC's local listings for times and channels to view Hardball with Chris Matthews on MSNBC on Monday and Tuesday evening.

Spread the word. Click here to forward this email to friends encouraging them to tune into the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum.
Download and post the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum posters in offices, gyms, coffee shops and other places with high traffic.

The LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum puts critical questions about fighting cancer on a national platform. Please join me in making history by raising awareness for the LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum.
LIVESTRONG,

Lance Armstrong, LIVESTRONG Army

docandjeanie

Post by docandjeanie »

Wow, 36 views and no replies :cry: I am happy the message is getting out and people are seeing this.

I know it's a rough topic and a political one at that. As some of you already know, I have cancer and thankfully stage 1 ovarian, they got it all, and just had my 4th chemo treatment and have 2 more to go. I am one of the lucky ones. But cancer stinks!
Please watch this show or paste it in to an email to your friends if you can. It's such an important topic!

Thanks for your help.

[smilie=battingeyes.gif] Jeanie
ImageImageImage

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Do not take the lack of posts as lack of interest---I did check to see what the thread was about, and, finding that it was exactly what I thought, I did not respond.

I too got the message from livestrong regarding the debate, and MSNBC has been talking it up a lot.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

docandjeanie

Post by docandjeanie »

ejr wrote:Do not take the lack of posts as lack of interest---I did check to see what the thread was about, and, finding that it was exactly what I thought, I did not respond.

I too got the message from livestrong regarding the debate, and MSNBC has been talking it up a lot.
Cool, thanks EJR, want to get the message out, it is such an important topic. One that is unprecedented also, they caved to the pressure, don't know what it will do, but glad it's a forum.

I know MSNBC is publicizing it and Hardball, etc.
ImageImageImage

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

I got a call about it.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

I would support it but Lance is such a freaking jerk to his family and treated his grandparents so badly I just can't.

Besides cancer has tons of research and public awareness while the real danger facing Americans right now is another disease that is not getting any public awareness. In 2005 it was reported that this disease would get psa's (public service announcements) but that never transpired. Now congress is trying to lump this disease in with another which by doing so will eliminate true public awareness to a disease that is spreading 10 times faster than the HIV/AIDS virus and already infected 5 times more Americans.

PLEASE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES AND URGE THEM TO NOT VOTE FOR HR2552!!!!!!!
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Moonie
User banned 30 days
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Moonie »

ph4ever wrote:I would support it but Lance is such a freaking jerk to his family and treated his grandparents so badly I just can't.

Besides cancer has tons of research and public awareness while the real danger facing Americans right now is another disease that is not getting any public awareness. In 2005 it was reported that this disease would get psa's (public service announcements) but that never transpired. Now congress is trying to lump this disease in with another which by doing so will eliminate true public awareness to a disease that is spreading 10 times faster than the HIV/AIDS virus and already infected 5 times more Americans.

PLEASE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES AND URGE THEM TO NOT VOTE FOR HR2552!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, The Coburn Report, written by Tom Coburn (R-OK, US Senate) who has been proven to be a liar and a cheat.

I'm not saying his report is, but I'd be suspect of anything he authored..

Oh yeah, he's a politician, guess that makes lying and cheating legal...

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image

docandjeanie

Post by docandjeanie »

ph4ever wrote:I would support it but Lance is such a freaking jerk to his family and treated his grandparents so badly I just can't.

I understand about Lance and his family issues, but he is the spokeperson that we who are afflicted by cancer need. I am thankful that he is speaking out for me, cancer is a terrible thing, the drugs, the anxiety, the fear, the symptoms. It's no fun at all. $150K in medical bills (thank god I have insurance) and it's 20K for every chemo treatment. Something has to be done about this, hmo's and hospitals it's out of control, by the time I am done from March of this year, it will have cost me and my insurance company over $200K. That was just for the surgery, treatments, and every three months I will need follow up, it will cost even more $$$$$$ We need Lance to help us. I can't imagine what people do without insurance, it's really pathetic.

I think it's great that we spoke and they listened. Your cause maybe a valid one too, and you just need to get a spokeperson to speak out about it, mobilize and this could happen for you. I thank Lance for all he is doing for us. What is the disease that you speak off, I don't think you mentioned what it was. Post it on BN and see what happens you could get a lot of awareness for it. I will check it out.

Thanks for looking and listening.

Jeanie [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
ImageImageImage

IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7

Post by IrishPirate »

You know I'll be watching! :D I've had TOO many family members affected by various strains of this disease. I just wish there were as many strong voices being heard for other diseases, such as Crohn's and Juvenile Diabetes, just to be selfish! Our whole healthcare system needs an overhaul, so all people with life threatening and life altering diseases could get quality care! Just MHO! :wench:

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

docandjeanie wrote:

I understand about Lance and his family issues, but he is the spokeperson that we who are afflicted by cancer need. I am thankful that he is speaking out for me, cancer is a terrible thing, the drugs, the anxiety, the fear, the symptoms. It's no fun at all. $150K in medical bills (thank god I have insurance) and it's 20K for every chemo treatment. Something has to be done about this, hmo's and hospitals it's out of control, by the time I am done from March of this year, it will have cost me and my insurance company over $200K. That was just for the surgery, treatments, and every three months I will need follow up, it will cost even more $$$$$$ We need Lance to help us. I can't imagine what people do without insurance, it's really pathetic.

I think it's great that we spoke and they listened. Your cause maybe a valid one too, and you just need to get a spokeperson to speak out about it, mobilize and this could happen for you. I thank Lance for all he is doing for us. What is the disease that you speak off, I don't think you mentioned what it was. Post it on BN and see what happens you could get a lot of awareness for it. I will check it out.

Let's see Naomi Judd, Peter Lawford and David Marks are 3 right off the top of my head..... I can provide a list of "celebrities" that have this disease - many who do speak out for public awareness if you would like.

The simple fact is without US Goverment backing and approval for funding/research of ANY disease INCLUDING CANCER it's damn hard to get any type of public awareness campaign going on unless the disease itself becomes part of a "political" campaign

The simple fact is that the US Government does not want public awareness of this disease as it would cost them a huge ton of cash.

Appx 70% of those in the US infected with this disease are US Veterans. The VA only treats about 17% of all veterans who have this disease and is now refusing claims for treatment making the veterans provide proof they received jetgun injections. One strain of this disease only has about a 50% success rate in obtaining a sustained viroligical response requiring those that have the strain to go multiple rounds of treatment. It's not uncommon that many on the 3rd or 4th round to do a double dose of chemo and the pills. I just completed my 2nd round of treatment and I've got the "easy" kind to cure.

The chemo we must go thru (interferon) plus pills alone cost an average of $2000 per month with treatment lasting anywhere between 24 - 72 weeks depending on the "strain" you have. Then there's the cost of the other meds - many need additional meds such as antidepressants, procrit, and the other meds to combat the sides of the treatment. We face the same anxieties as cancer pts as we are trying to not have cancer. Like you we're faced with biopsies and testing throughout treatment plus ever 6 months thereafter. And like many that go thru chemo for cancer we are left with the brain fog, rheumatoid arthritis, scarred lungs leading to COPD and the onset of other cancers.

In 2005 S521 recognized that at that time conservative estimates place the costs of direct medical expenses at more than" $1,000,000,000 in the United States annually, and such costs will undoubtedly increase in the absence of expanded prevention and treatment efforts." S521 was defeated.

This disease is one of the leading factors in the rise of liver cancer and the need for liver transplants with an average of 5,000 to 7,000 a year and a transplant waiting list of average 17,000 a year.

The US Government does not want the public to recognize the fact that this disease is being spread by not only IV and intranasal drug use but also nail parlors, unscrupulous tattoo and piercing parlors and the medical profession as well for fear of public panic. More and more people are finding they are infected BY THEIR SURGEONS. Since May there have been worldwide "news headlines" advising people to be tested because of exposure from anesthesiologists, surgeons, medical laboratories, clinics providing vitamin injections, and in Canada - I believe it was Montreal or Quebec people who recieved vaccinations/tb testing thru the public school systems in the 1960's were urged to be tested (funny but no mention in the US and I distinctly remember being given the tb test by jetgun as a grade schooler in the 60's)

This disease can also be spread by sharing personal care items - nail clippers, razors and toothbrushes.

This disease is asymptomatic and an infected person can go for 20-30 years without symptoms. It's not uncommon during surgery for a surgeon to accidently cut themselves during surgery. If they're infected and don't know it - then their patient runs a high risk of becomming infected. (and the fact it's asymptomatic is another VA reason for refusal of treatment - you don't have symptoms of the disease, you don't need treatment mentality)

You do realize that the high costs of meds FOR ANY DISEASE does fall on the head of the US Government as we are one of only 2 countries worldwide that allow prescription drug commercials on television? Who do you think pays for those commercials - it's us - the patients and consumers of all these medicines.

I agree with you 1000% that "something" needs to be done regarding the health care system in America - In working with various different organizations in the Unites States (I am also affiliated with a few international orginaziations) daily in fighting this disease including veterans groups, we all agree about the need for reform but considering the way our government treats our veterans a nationalized form of heath care is really not an viable option for us.

This disease - it's HCV, Hepatitis C and I have started several threads here in the past regarding this disease urging BN'ers to be tested, to write their congressional representatives to amend or defeat house bills and senate resolutions. I personally know of BN'ers that have had family and friends battle this disease. In fact one BN'er is working directly with me developing a new concept in worldwide HCV Awareness and Support. We've already obtained permission from a recording artist to use his material as our "theme" song and will soon be "announcing" this new format on myspace as well as other forums.

Unfortunately with HCV you're also faced with the stigma as many bigoted narrow minded people consider this as a "junkie" disease and that those of us infected with this disease "got what we deserved for using dirty needles"

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

oh and Lance's grandfather was my minister and performed my first wedding ceremony.

docandjeanie

Post by docandjeanie »

ph4ever wrote:
docandjeanie wrote:

Let's see Naomi Judd, Peter Lawford and David Marks are 3 right off the top of my head..... I can provide a list of "celebrities" that have this disease - many who do speak out for public awareness if you would like.

The simple fact is without US Goverment backing and approval for funding/research of ANY disease INCLUDING CANCER it's damn hard to get any type of public awareness campaign going on unless the disease itself becomes part of a "political" campaign

The simple fact is that the US Government does not want public awareness of this disease as it would cost them a huge ton of cash.

Appx 70% of those in the US infected with this disease are US Veterans. The VA only treats about 17% of all veterans who have this disease and is now refusing claims for treatment making the veterans provide proof they received jetgun injections. One strain of this disease only has about a 50% success rate in obtaining a sustained viroligical response requiring those that have the strain to go multiple rounds of treatment. It's not uncommon that many on the 3rd or 4th round to do a double dose of chemo and the pills. I just completed my 2nd round of treatment and I've got the "easy" kind to cure.

The chemo we must go thru (interferon) plus pills alone cost an average of $2000 per month with treatment lasting anywhere between 24 - 72 weeks depending on the "strain" you have. Then there's the cost of the other meds - many need additional meds such as antidepressants, procrit, and the other meds to combat the sides of the treatment. We face the same anxieties as cancer pts as we are trying to not have cancer. Like you we're faced with biopsies and testing throughout treatment plus ever 6 months thereafter. And like many that go thru chemo for cancer we are left with the brain fog, rheumatoid arthritis, scarred lungs leading to COPD and the onset of other cancers.

In 2005 S521 recognized that at that time conservative estimates place the costs of direct medical expenses at more than" $1,000,000,000 in the United States annually, and such costs will undoubtedly increase in the absence of expanded prevention and treatment efforts." S521 was defeated.

This disease is one of the leading factors in the rise of liver cancer and the need for liver transplants with an average of 5,000 to 7,000 a year and a transplant waiting list of average 17,000 a year.
Connie,

I wish you well with it. This doesn't have to be a battle between who's disease is the worst one, that was never my intention. The fact is that they both stink. I have never seen your post before on the subject as I am fairly new to BN, but not new to the whole Buffett experience. I hope that you get some help with what you are doing and that you feel better soon.

Universal health care is the answer, we just need to get it going. I am hopeful that someday it will be here in the US.

As far as narrow minded bigots, I am not one of them.

Good luck.
ImageImageImage

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Won't watch it and won't support the cause. There are a lot of diseases, each one has their own group of supporters. Pretending the federal government can solve the problem is only delaying the cure. Researchers have no motivation to find a cure as long as funding is guarenteed. Instead of funding, I would support a bounty on cures. Make it $1 billion per cure.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I'll watch for the following reasons:

1)Cancer su.cks

2)It's Lance Armstrong

3)Cancer su.cks

4)I lost my grandmother to cancer, my mother is a cancer survivor, and my wife is dealing with it right now.

5)Cancer su.cks

6)I like hearing other people's views anyway

7)Cancer su.cks

All that being said, I hope nobody is holding their breath waiting for the government of ANY administration to come up with a cure.
Our only hope is continued research through public donations.

cocotel
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 21

Post by cocotel »

Wino you know wrote:I'll watch for the following reasons:

1)Cancer su.cks

2)It's Lance Armstrong

3)Cancer su.cks

4)I lost my grandmother to cancer, my mother is a cancer survivor, and my wife is dealing with it right now.

5)Cancer su.cks

6)I like hearing other people's views anyway

7)Cancer su.cks

All that being said, I hope nobody is holding their breath waiting for the government of ANY administration to come up with a cure.
Our only hope is continued research through public donations.
Cancer does s#%k Garry. This is true. I also will watch because hearing other people's view before commenting on what other people heard them say is how I play ball.
We are very involved in the Leukemia/ Lymphoma societies "Light the night" walk. But they were taken back when I refused to sign the petition about pushing for more federal research funding. I totally support research but the money needs to come from individuals because, sorry but, money coming from the feds always has a string attached.

Big Red Parrothead
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Post by Big Red Parrothead »

Skibo wrote:Won't watch it and won't support the cause. There are a lot of diseases, each one has their own group of supporters. Pretending the federal government can solve the problem is only delaying the cure. Researchers have no motivation to find a cure as long as funding is guarenteed. Instead of funding, I would support a bounty on cures. Make it $1 billion per cure.
You might need to add a few zeroes to that if you want it to work. Private drug companies spend billions upon billions in R&D and advertising for drugs that just treat symptoms. For them, actually coming up with a cure wouldn't make much business sense--there's no money to be made (long-term) in a cure.

Like it or not, the vast majority of researchers actually looking for cures are currently funded through government and/or nonprofit agencies. I'm certainly not saying the federal government is the end all/be all in this equation. But it'll take a whole lot more than a billion dollars to pique the private sector's interest.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Big Red Parrothead wrote:For them, actually coming up with a cure wouldn't make much business sense--there's no money to be made (long-term) in a cure.
There is a ton of money to be made in a cure. Drug companies make a lot of money on vaccines. whatever the solution cancer ever comes up to be, there will be a procedure/drug/treatment whoever patents that will profit very nicely. There is now a vaccine for cervical cancer it might not be a cure but it will prevent it. That's cure enough for me. Someone is getting rich on that one.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

if the only reason a politician is getting behind ANY fight is for votes, that's one vote they won't get from me!

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

I just can't listen to politicians talk about it, they will promise you anything, tell you what you want to hear just to get a vote. They have no business talking about it.

My family has also been touched by the big C, lost my mom and grandmother to it.
Back to livin' Floridays

docandjeanie

Post by docandjeanie »

Big Red Parrothead wrote:
Skibo wrote:Won't watch it and won't support the cause. There are a lot of diseases, each one has their own group of supporters. Pretending the federal government can solve the problem is only delaying the cure. Researchers have no motivation to find a cure as long as funding is guarenteed. Instead of funding, I would support a bounty on cures. Make it $1 billion per cure.
You might need to add a few zeroes to that if you want it to work. Private drug companies spend billions upon billions in R&D and advertising for drugs that just treat symptoms. For them, actually coming up with a cure wouldn't make much business sense--there's no money to be made (long-term) in a cure.

Like it or not, the vast majority of researchers actually looking for cures are currently funded through government and/or nonprofit agencies. I'm certainly not saying the federal government is the end all/be all in this equation. But it'll take a whole lot more than a billion dollars to pique the private sector's interest.
You are so right BRP, that's the problem, they want to create drugs to treat our symptoms, but not cure us. There is no money in a cure, there is a lot of money in a sick patient, needing constant care. It's all about money, hmo's, hospitals, doctors, drug companies. Drug ads run all day and all night on tv that cost billions of dollars, if they used that money, what would happen then. I think universal health care is something that could be considered. It works in a lot of other countries.
ImageImageImage