2008 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

LIPH wrote: There are no "I's" there, the "T's" are crossed and there's no place to put an "appositive". An "apostrophe" maybe, but no "appositive". Looks like the north side of Chicago isn't the only place the grammar police are needed. :roll:
The T's and I's were an analogy, not surprised you didn't get it..... :roll: the "appositive" or "apostrophe", that is Goggle's spell check fault, I did the best I could, spelling isn't my thing I take a crack and hope they can figure it out. If it needs to be cleaned up then you can clean up after me, you have plenty of time.
SMLCHNG wrote:And for me, there are NO reasons I'd ever hate the Cubs. :roll:
I used to be indifferent about the Cubs, then I went to a few games at Wrigley Filed and saw how obnoxious and moronic Cubs fans are and now I have a completly different outlook about that team.

Nice to see the Rockies fans coming back out in full force, 24,304 last night :roll: what no free towel day?
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 39
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

Go Brewers! 5-1!!!

Ben Sheets so far: 15 1/3 shutout innings.

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

By the way, I think the Brewers set a record the other day....

2 HRs in one inning by Jewish players!!! (Braun and Kapler)

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

BottleofRum wrote:
LIPH wrote: There are no "I's" there, the "T's" are crossed and there's no place to put an "appositive". An "apostrophe" maybe, but no "appositive". Looks like the north side of Chicago isn't the only place the grammar police are needed. :roll:
The T's and I's were an analogy, not surprised you didn't get it..... :roll: the "appositive" or "apostrophe", that is Goggle's spell check fault, I did the best I could, spelling isn't my thing I take a crack and hope they can figure it out. If it needs to be cleaned up then you can clean up after me, you have plenty of time.
For someone who gets such joy out of pointing out every little mistake anyone else makes, you sure have a problem admitting it when you make not one, but 3, in one sentence.
BottleofRum wrote:I used to be indifferent about the Cubs, then I went to a few games at Wrigley Filed and saw how obnoxious and moronic Cubs fans are ...
Kind of like Red Sox fans.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

BottleofRum wrote:
I used to be indifferent about the Cubs, then I went to a few games at Wrigley Filed and saw how obnoxious and moronic Cubs fans are and now I have a completly different outlook about that team.

Nice to see the Rockies fans coming back out in full force, 24,304 last night :roll: what no free towel day?
All teams in ALL sports have obnoxious and moronic fans. Including your precious Red Sox.. I cheer for a team, not their fans. :roll:

Give up the towel crap already. It's old, and not funny. :roll: The weather was cold and crappy.. I can't speak for those fans who didn't fill the stadium.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Some people have self-esteem issues and live their lives vicariously through the teams they root for. It's sad.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

LIPH wrote:Some people have self-esteem issues and live their lives vicariously through the teams they root for. It's sad.
Self-esteem issues, go look in the mirror, who goes to concerts alone and looks for friends?

LOOOOOOSER!
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

CaptainP wrote:By the way, I think the Brewers set a record the other day....

2 HRs in one inning by Jewish players!!! (Braun and Kapler)
Mazeltov!!

iccch, it looks like gonna a shpritzer tonight! oy vey.... :roll:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

Caribbean Soul
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration ;-)
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Pick just ONE??!! No can do...

Post by Caribbean Soul »

SMLCHNG wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:

All teams in ALL sports have obnoxious and moronic fans. Including your precious Red Sox.. I cheer for a team, not their fans. :roll:

Give up the towel crap already. It's old, and not funny. :roll: The weather was cold and crappy.. I can't speak for those fans who didn't fill the stadium.
"Including"?! You are being very kind...
I would phase it "Especially" after having had first hand experience. :-?
In Boston with...
"this caribbean soul I can barely control and Long Island's always here in my heart"
JB - Sag Harbor 11/20/99

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

Ahhhhhh, sure signs of spring...

1) The first robin of the year.
2) Crocuses pushing up their first blooms.
3) LIPH and BottleofRum bickering like an old married couple.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

popcornjack wrote:Ahhhhhh, sure signs of spring...

If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

or is it the odd couple
ImageImage Image

CaptainP
Last Man Standing

Post by CaptainP »

Lets just make sure we don't get the baseball thread locked down, OK boys?

CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

CaptainP wrote:Lets just make sure we don't get the baseball thread locked down, OK boys?
no blood, no foul. :D
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

In the off-season after Curt Schilling signed his contract he hurt his shoulder, his personal doctor said the only way he could pitch again is to have surgery, the Red Sox team doctor said his shoulder could be fixed non-surgery with rehab, the Red Sox sought a 3rd opinion and brought in the Mets team doctor who agreed with the Red Sox doctor. Given two choices, listening to his personal doctor and have surgery which would allow the Red Sox void his $8M contract or keeping his contract intact and going the rehab route not surprisingly Schilling choses to keep the money and rehab but wasn't happy. Since then his doctor has made several comments about how the Red Sox are making a mistake, Schilling shockingly has been quite. Which brings us to today, his doctor Craig Morgan was on radio in Philly today and said Schilling was p*** at the Red Sox and angry enough that he will go ahead and have the operation, get healthy and go pitch for the Yankees next season. :roll: Really, is there any Yankee fans who want Schilling on their team ever? And in reality I can't imagine Cashman or Steinbrenner wanting a 42 year old pitcher coming off surgery.

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 42

Post by aeroparrot »

BottleofRum wrote:In the off-season after Curt Schilling signed his contract he hurt his shoulder, his personal doctor said the only way he could pitch again is to have surgery, the Red Sox team doctor said his shoulder could be fixed non-surgery with rehab, the Red Sox sought a 3rd opinion and brought in the Mets team doctor who agreed with the Red Sox doctor. Given two choices, listening to his personal doctor and have surgery which would allow the Red Sox void his $8M contract or keeping his contract intact and going the rehab route not surprisingly Schilling choses to keep the money and rehab but wasn't happy. Since then his doctor has made several comments about how the Red Sox are making a mistake, Schilling shockingly has been quite. Which brings us to today, his doctor Craig Morgan was on radio in Philly today and said Schilling was p*** at the Red Sox and angry enough that he will go ahead and have the operation, get healthy and go pitch for the Yankees next season. :roll: Really, is there any Yankee fans who want Schilling on their team ever? And in reality I can't imagine Cashman or Steinbrenner wanting a 42 year old pitcher coming off surgery.
Don't know if he could pitch for the Yankees, however, he COULD go the Pedro route and pitch for the Mets.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Barefoot Gypsy
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Really?! That's like picking a fave child...too hard to pick one.
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: Purple Rain...anything with tequila or rum!

Post by Barefoot Gypsy »

So, this is normal then? I'll sleep much better now.

How about the White Sox?! Are they rockin' the house so far or what!!
"Barefoot children in the rain
Got no need to explain"

'Music is a moral law- it gives wings to the mind, A soul to the universe, Flight to the imagination, A charm to sadness, A life to everything.' - Plato

Hoosier PH
License to Chill

Post by Hoosier PH »

"Vulgar" Yankee fan pressure forces Hawkins to give up Paul O'Neill's uniform number

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/conte...6/c2533255.jsp

Hawkins gives up No. 21 for No. 22
04/16/2008 12:10 AM ETBy Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Tired of receiving flak for wearing a number last used by Paul O'Neill, the Yankees' LaTroy Hawkins has decided to surrender his No. 21 before the club opens a two-game series against the Red Sox on Wednesday.

The right-hander declined comment after the Yankees' 5-3 victory over the Rays at Tropicana Field on Tuesday, but Yankees director of media relations Jason Zillo confirmed the change. Hawkins' decision was first reported by CBSSports.com.

Hawkins wore No. 22 with the Yankees during Spring Training, but switched to No. 21 when infielder Morgan Ensberg decided he no longer wanted to wear it. Ensberg was randomly assigned the number upon reporting to camp as a non-roster invitee and later revealed that he received numerous vulgar comments from Yankees fans during the Grapefruit League campaign.

Hawkins eagerly accepted No. 21 as a tribute to Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente but quickly learned that a pinstriped No. 21 has other meanings for Yankees fans. Unaware he was donning a number that had not been worn since O'Neill retired following the 2001 World Series, Hawkins was booed when introduced on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium. Fans chanted "Paul O'Neill" during one of his appearances in the Bronx.

According to CBSSports.com, Hawkins made the decision after discussions with Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and other Yankees veterans, who told Hawkins that the number is not worth the headache it's causing.

"I figure if it's important enough for Jeter and Mariano and some other veterans to ask me about it, it's not worth it to keep wearing the number," Hawkins told the Web site.

Hawkins will wear No. 22, last worn by Roger Clemens, when the Yankees take the field on Wednesday. He had said that he would be interested in wearing No. 42 on Tuesday as a tribute to Jackie Robinson, but declined to change his number for the game against the Rays. Hawkins, who is African-American, wore No. 42 last year for the Rockies, the lone player wearing that number for Colorado.

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Paul O'Neill? While he had some fine seasons, he's not worthy of retired number status, is he? Especially by Yankee standards. When I think of Yankee retired #s I think of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle. Not Paul O'Neill.

:lol: at the fact that #22 is OK. I guess they won't be honoring Roger anytime soon.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

chippewa wrote:Paul O'Neill? While he had some fine seasons, he's not worthy of retired number status, is he? Especially by Yankee standards. When I think of Yankee retired #s I think of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle. Not Paul O'Neill.
don't forget Costanza... :lol: