40 lbs in 4 months

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 0

40 lbs in 4 months

Post by Catch&Release »

I am getting married in late July.

I am 40 lbs overweight.

In our wedding pictures, I don't want to keep looking like Shrek next to my cute, sweet fiancee.

No more excuses justifying those trips through the BK drive through cuz I'm "too busy" to eat a healthy lunch. No more excuses that "it's too cold" instead of exercizing.

It starts today. In 4 months I'll pull this post up and be happy that I achieved this goal. :D

40 lbs will be lost in 4 months. Heck, that's only 3.3 lbs a week. No problem as long as I can stay away from any food that can be eaten without a fork, knife or spoon (half of what I eat).
[smilie=blush.gif]
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Good Luck C&R. I'm on a smiliar "Crash" but I'm down to 7 1/2 weeks left as I'm prepping for my trip to Playa Del Carman. Using the Sacred Heart health diet I've dumped about 10 pounds since mid Feb.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Good luck on the dieting.

Debbie

Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Catch&Release »

Thanks, everyone.

I did it in 2000. Lost 40 lbs in 4 months.

But then my old nemesis Burger King won out. Some people drink when they're under stress. I eat greasy "comfort" food. Not a great system!

When I lost the 40 lbs last time, it was easy to stick to the plan until work got stressful (which it always does at varying times of the year).
Then "That was a long day and I am starving. I can justify a double cheesburger just once" in 4 months devolved into "Well, I am fat again so what does it matter if I get the Whopper meal."

Ugh. I owe it to me and my girl to lose this 40 lb ring of blubber dead weight!
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

I want to try this as well. Maybe we should post "before" pictures now and measure our progress. Although, I have 7 months.

Thoughts?

Anyone else?

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

Don't avoid eating. You'll end up bigger in the long run. You need to eat smaller meals more often.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but eating more often raises your metabolism, and your body uses calories/fat more efficiently.

Starving yourself only results in your body shutting down and trying to store more fat reserves, so when you do end up eating, your body tries to convert it to fat.
Image Image

big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

Back in 1989 I lost 230 lbs. I got divorced! :lol:
Who's got the rum?

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

SharkOnLand wrote:Don't avoid eating. You'll end up bigger in the long run. You need to eat smaller meals more often.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but eating more often raises your metabolism, and your body uses calories/fat more efficiently.

Starving yourself only results in your body shutting down and trying to store more fat reserves, so when you do end up eating, your body tries to convert it to fat.
Excellent point, I couldn't agree more. I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day and its very easy once you get the hang of it.

If you're excercising, try it first thing in the morning. Wake up, have a glass of water and start your routine.

If you have carbohydrates in your system from eating, your body will use those as fuel for your workout. If you have no carbs in your system, your body will use your fat stores as fuel for your workout.

It takes about 6 hours for the carbs to work there way out of your system so, either don't eat for 6 hours during the day (which I do not recommend), or workout first thing in the morning.

It sounds hard, especially if you're not a morning person, but its an easy routine to get into and it really can charge you up for your day.

Good luck!!!
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

beachbum13
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by beachbum13 »

People can say what they want but the Atkins Diet is the only diet that works for me. I LIKE TO EAT! I can still have cheese, meat, poultry and eggs. I found that the key is schedule a weekend to cheat. Plan it and look forward to then right after get your butt back on it. And don't spend the weekend at the bakery and Ritas!!! I'll have bagels, pasta, mashed potatoes, rolls and the things that drive me nuts while I'm on the diet. It helps knowing that I'm going to be able to have some in a month or 6 weeks. Plus I on't punish my self at holidays and vacations.

As far as my health goes my blood pressure drops and so does my chlorestoral(?)

The first time I was on Atkins I dropped 50lbs from January 2nd-ish to late April. Managing a pizzeria during the summers was always my downfall..... Not enough exercise is my problem now.

Good Luck!!!!!

Summer 2017-
August 17 ~ Jimmy Buffett, BB&T
August 25 - Jason Aldean/Chris Young, BB&T
Kasey Chambers, City Winery NYC & World Café Philly
Deirks Bentley/Cole Swindel - PNC

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

You go. All the best to you.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Others who had the same idea.. :)

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewto ... ht=healthy

Good luck!! :)

Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Good luck, hope you make your goal :D

(Myself I've cut eating down which will be the first step, once my stomach shrinks a bit I'll probably resume my workout routines...)

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

Man, this takes two things that I don't have: Will and Power. Worst part for me is that my schedule is so screwy that I can't set aside a consistent time to go to the gym, and it's hard to get motivated when I don't get home from work until 2:00am
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

~ Parrot Bay ~
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: That's What Living Is to Me
Number of Concerts: 4
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by ~ Parrot Bay ~ »

Small meals every 2-3 hours and lots of cardio. Running works for me, I mean running outside. Beating the pavement. I feel too much like a hamster on the treadmill.

Good luck and stay focused.
Last edited by ~ Parrot Bay ~ on March 17, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

Despite how boring it sounds,
it all boils down to reducing calories in,
while increasing calories burned.

The trick is to stay happy while accomplishing this!

If you go on a starvation diet,
you will never be happy, so it will be short term only.

People that are happy with the meat and cheese,
while forgoing the pasta, potato, and bread,
will swear that the Adkin's diet is the best.

People that find the all carb diet pleasing,
(salad, beer, pretzels, but no meat, cheese, etc.)
will do just as good as the late Dr.'s group will.

Exercise is important for health,
but it will not drastically reduce fat.
Remember, unlike claims made for certain machines,
really busting butt will burn 400 calories/hour, MAX!!

Sure, Lance Armstrong burns 600 calories/hour cycling,
but believe me, 400 is a practical maximum.
A double Whopper with cheese, large fries, and a big Coke is 2000!!!!
How in the world you gonna hit the treadmill five hours a day
just to make up for that one meal?

Excercise daily, but don't think it will make up for even one
Whopper a day!

Gotta lose the weight?
Eat 1200 calories/day, whether it is butter or celery.

Want to keep it off?
BK drive through is fine!
Veggie Whopper, no cheese, no mayo.
Not the "Vegtable Patty" one,
just the bun, lettuce, tomato, onion.
Hold the Mayo and even the Ketchup!
Add mustard.
Then hit Wendy's, baked potato PLAIN.
Hungry?
Do both again, you will still have taken in less calories than a Whopper with cheese.
And since it took way longer to eat,
you will have given your brain time to realize that your stomach is slowly getting full.

I gotta stop, I can go on forever about this stuff.
People tease me, but I have written down every calorie eaten
for decades. For me it works.

Sometimes it's all pizza and beer,
other days it's whole grains and vegetables.

For HEALTH, all foods are different, and excercise is important.
For weight loss, just treat it like you would a checkbook, and
balance it without overdrawing.

1200 calories a day, and you will have met your weight loss goal LONG
before the wedding, and will have upped it to 2300 or more, depending
on what your ideal size is.
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

Yes, work out first thing in the AM. Everyday. And walk, walk, walk. Perhaps don't work out on a completely empty stomach....eat a small amount of protein and carb. Like 2 oz of chicken and a half piece of bread of a half of a peanut butter sandwich with your water. I lost 25lb by cutting out all white sugar, white flour, high frutose corn syrup, and all hydrogenated oils. I avoid them as much as possible. Read labels. If you can't pronouce the ingedients it's probably bad for you. Whole grain does not mean healthy. Brown bread does not mean healthy bread. 100 percent whole wheat is healthy. You have to fuel the body. You wouldn't expect your car to run on crappy gas and our bodies are like an engine, give it good food. Processed food is not good fuel. Get back to real food and you can eat more. Real food will make your engine perform more efficiently. Also, if you write down everything you eat, you will think twice before eating something bad. When you want to eat bad, grab some water and a healthy snack and go for a walk. If you want a good read on the subject Dr. Oz's You On A Diet is my heathy diet bible. Good luck and don't get discouaged. When you're frustrated, post and we will talk you through it.

docandjeanie
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Love in the library, Happily Ever after
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie

Post by docandjeanie »

Good luck to you. :D
ImageImageImage

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Ukulady wrote:Yes, work out first thing in the AM. Everyday. And walk, walk, walk. Perhaps don't work out on a completely empty stomach....eat a small amount of protein and carb. Like 2 oz of chicken and a half piece of bread of a half of a peanut butter sandwich with your water. I lost 25lb by cutting out all white sugar, white flour, high frutose corn syrup, and all hydrogenated oils. I avoid them as much as possible. Read labels. If you can't pronouce the ingedients it's probably bad for you. Whole grain does not mean healthy. Brown bread does not mean healthy bread. 100 percent whole wheat is healthy. You have to fuel the body. You wouldn't expect your car to run on crappy gas and our bodies are like an engine, give it good food. Processed food is not good fuel. Get back to real food and you can eat more. Real food will make your engine perform more efficiently.

Also, if you write down everything you eat, you will think twice before eating something bad.

When you want to eat bad, grab some water and a healthy snack and go for a walk. If you want a good read on the subject Dr. Oz's You On A Diet is my heathy diet bible. Good luck and don't get discouaged. When you're frustrated, post and we will talk you through it.
The best advice in this post in my opinion
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

blackjack wrote:I want to try this as well. Maybe we should post "before" pictures now and measure our progress. Although, I have 7 months.

Thoughts?

Anyone else?
That's how my two sisters and I lost 25lb each. We took pictures in bathingsuits and e-mailed them to each other. We emailed our measurements and weight each week. It worked for us and were all half way to our goal. It helps having support.

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Ukulady wrote:
blackjack wrote:I want to try this as well. Maybe we should post "before" pictures now and measure our progress. Although, I have 7 months.

Thoughts?

Anyone else?
That's how my two sisters and I lost 25lb each. We took pictures in bathingsuits and e-mailed them to each other. We emailed our measurements and weight each week. It worked for us and were all half way to our goal. It helps having support.
Probably a chick thing though