HEALTHY LIVING

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

pema
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: HEALTHY LIVING

Post by pema »

conched wrote:*edit* good day today

Gonna use Lose It! app and just do it. The holidays were too much of a license to chill. Now it will take will power and motivation and we'll find it.
(((Nancy)))
Erin Image

"Wishing I was knee deep in the water somewhere
Only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair"

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

pema wrote:
conched wrote:*edit* good day today

Gonna use Lose It! app and just do it. The holidays were too much of a license to chill. Now it will take will power and motivation and we'll find it.
(((Nancy)))

Hadn't been on the scales for awhile.....don't know what I've done exactly, but I was down six pounds.....that was a nice surprise! Ten more to be to my fighting weight... :)
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Thanks, Erin!

That is great news, Paige. Heck, that fantastic!!!

I think I stayed off the scale because I knew it wasn't gonna matter.

Now the time has come!!! I threw out the bad stuff and the fridge and pantry look bare.

Back to some healthy living. AND weighing every morning...first thing.

johnson2113
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary

Post by johnson2113 »

BeachBumJim wrote:Wow... this thread totally kicks.
There is inspiration in every one of the posts above.

- QUIT SMOKING!!!! AWESOME... for most people that is THE hardest thing they have done! It was for me. I applaud in your gerneral direction!

- Rockin the hatred for the vending machine! Ha! love it! :D
Take THAT you mechanized ba$tard!!! :x

- I like the steps concept and adding weights with it. Someone suggested that weights with my cardio stuff would be good. I'm INSPIRED to drop a couple bucks on some eights now!
Very cool

- Dr. Corona, Keep at it. Very encouraging. It really is a DAY by DAY thing. You have to take this day's challenge and accept it. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Nothing you can do about it when you're working on taking down today's challenge.

-Johnson...DUDE... that before and after comparison is off the charts. Seriously could have gotten some national sponsorship on that. Fantastic!
Thanks, once I get back on track and hit my goals, I plan on finding some. I think the programs I used would probably use me for their ads.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

Back at it for the last month or so. Started by just taking ten minutes every day to stretch out. Bought an elliptical that got delivered the week before Christmas, started using that right away. joined a gym right down the street (literally 1.5 blocks away) and taking three classes a week there (spinning, pilates, strength training). Haven't shown a consistent weight loss-weigh myself day to day and I fluctuate around the same numbers all the time, but I see the difference and feel it as well.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

I started calorie counting on January 2nd, and use an app on my phone that makes it easier to look up calories and log them. I was 284 when I started and have lost 9lbs since with a goal of getting back down to 235 by Nov 1st.
I tried using our exercise bike, but have had a chest cold for over a month, and after 15 minutes I'm hacking so bad I have to stop so I am instead doing Wii Yoga til I get over the congestion.
Baby Steps!
ImageImage

BeachBumJim
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration...for the moment
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cheap beer...free beer

Post by BeachBumJim »

Jack, good job with the stretching. I see so many people at teh Y...go at it without any noticeable warm-up and then they stop theri workout at full speed and head out the door.
I'm no doctor and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn lately but I'm pretty sure your muscle groups would appreciate a heads-up before they are put to work...same with a cool off period. Regarding no weight loss but noticing a differenec in appearance and vibe. I remind myself taht muscle is more dense that fat and by therefor weighs more.

C-Dawg
...baby steps is right... chest colds are brutal. The good thing is that the yoga and other things that you're doing are still working your body. Among the many benefits of an excercise program of any sort is the fact that the immunities seem to build and we become more resistant to the mung that goes around. Especially this time of year.

I was able to get to the Y four times this week for an hour and half each time. Same stuff, including the 360 treadmill everyday. It's amazing at healing the stabilizers around my recovering knee. Was able to get up to 3.3 mph backwards and sideways etc...
That belly fat is not wanting to take the hint.
Hopefully can do a few hours paddleboarding at Bradenton or St. Pete beach tomorrow...then to Ft. Myers Sunday.
Hoist up the mainsail...add a little BAM to the ginger ale...

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

popcornjack wrote:Back at it for the last month or so. Started by just taking ten minutes every day to stretch out. Bought an elliptical that got delivered the week before Christmas, started using that right away. joined a gym right down the street (literally 1.5 blocks away) and taking three classes a week there (spinning, pilates, strength training). Haven't shown a consistent weight loss-weigh myself day to day and I fluctuate around the same numbers all the time, but I see the difference and feel it as well.
Awesome!! Feeling it and seeing is a hell of a lot more important than whatever the scale says.
C-Dawg wrote:I started calorie counting on January 2nd, and use an app on my phone that makes it easier to look up calories and log them. I was 284 when I started and have lost 9lbs since with a goal of getting back down to 235 by Nov 1st.
I tried using our exercise bike, but have had a chest cold for over a month, and after 15 minutes I'm hacking so bad I have to stop so I am instead doing Wii Yoga til I get over the congestion.
Baby Steps!
Great start!!! What app are you using? I've always heard it's ok even good to work through a cold.
BeachBumJim wrote: I was able to get to the Y four times this week for an hour and half each time. Same stuff, including the 360 treadmill everyday. It's amazing at healing the stabilizers around my recovering knee. Was able to get up to 3.3 mph backwards and sideways etc...
Hopefully can do a few hours paddleboarding at Bradenton or St. Pete beach tomorrow...then to Ft. Myers Sunday.
Great work, keep it up. I need to do that 360 treadmill, I forgot about it. I did legs and back and my balance was bad, I was falling all over the place, I worked out in my Vibram Five Fingers today and had better balance in them than my regular shoes though.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

It's drinking time, but I'm gonna pretend it's not. I better turn the drinking music off. :wench: :wench:

Glad to hear reports. Get better soon, Chris!!

Keep on keepin on.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I used to use fitday.com but they don't have an android or iPad app, so I switched to MyFitnessPal. There are a lot of foods already in there and it is far more intuitive than FitDay.

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

buffettbride wrote:I used to use fitday.com but they don't have an android or iPad app, so I switched to MyFitnessPal. There are a lot of foods already in there and it is far more intuitive than FitDay.
Cool, I'll check that one out!

BeachBumJim
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration...for the moment
Favorite Boat Drink: Cheap beer...free beer

Post by BeachBumJim »

johnson2113 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:Back at it for the last month or so. Started by just taking ten minutes every day to stretch out. Bought an elliptical that got delivered the week before Christmas, started using that right away. joined a gym right down the street (literally 1.5 blocks away) and taking three classes a week there (spinning, pilates, strength training). Haven't shown a consistent weight loss-weigh myself day to day and I fluctuate around the same numbers all the time, but I see the difference and feel it as well.
Awesome!! Feeling it and seeing is a hell of a lot more important than whatever the scale says.
C-Dawg wrote:I started calorie counting on January 2nd, and use an app on my phone that makes it easier to look up calories and log them. I was 284 when I started and have lost 9lbs since with a goal of getting back down to 235 by Nov 1st.
Baby Steps!
Great start!!! What app are you using? I've always heard it's ok even good to work through a cold.
BeachBumJim wrote: I was able to get to the Y four times this week for an hour and half each time. Same stuff, including the 360 treadmill everyday. It's amazing at healing the stabilizers around my recovering knee. Was able to get up to 3.3 mph backwards and sideways etc...
Great work, keep it up. I need to do that 360 treadmill, I forgot about it. I did legs and back and my balance was bad, I was falling all over the place, I worked out in my Vibram Five Fingers today and had better balance in them than my regular shoes though.

I tried a pair of those on a couple years ago for sailing...my toes are not meant for those. I think the concept is great though. Wish I could wear them. Bought a pair of Keen's instead.
Hoist up the mainsail...add a little BAM to the ginger ale...

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

Yeah it's been kind of a fight getting them, I think I need to go up a size.

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

I have some things to post, but I need to order my thoughts, so I'll share this for tonight.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

johnson2113 wrote:
Baby Steps!

Here's the App I'm using.
http://www.fatsecret.com/connected/android
I tried a couple others, but like this one the best of the 3 I tried. You can enter your calories a number of ways, via bar code scanner, via restaurant menus, or using search (where it saves the items you eat regularly), plus it keeps track of your weight, your exercise, and you can add notes to your daily diary.
For the month of January, I started at 284 and ended the month at 268.5, for a loss of 15.5 lbs.....my goal for February is to lose another 10 lbs.
ImageImage

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Great job, Chris~~

I like LoseIt! app for the same reasons you like fatsecret app.

It's kinda hard to get the calories/fats/cholesterol/sodium right when eating what other people cook. I just draw a blank in knowing how to compare calories, etc. in foods. I try to not eat 3 meals on those days when I can't guess the calories and also try to eat small portions.

Sometimes you just gotta have those FREE days too.

It is amazing to me how much info is out there to help us count calories and nutritional values. I love scanning the barcodes, eventhough the calories per serving are right there on the package too.

Measuring helps so much.

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

I started writing down everything I eat each day (Connie's idea) and decided that if I am gonna do this I have to be brutally honest and write down everything and so far today I have decided I didn't want to write down doughnuts and cookies so I turned them down. :D

Now granted I have just started down this road but I'm thinking if I keep it up I can get back to losing more poundage. :D :D :D
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by MammaBear »

Started going to a personal trainer.....my 4th week. Trying hard.....

Hubby made an appointment with a MD who deals in holistic medicine and does "gastro bypass hynosis"....anyone heard of this? Saw it on the news the other day...some things are definately worth the investment! Look interesting!

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

pair8head wrote:I started writing down everything I eat each day (Connie's idea) and decided that if I am gonna do this I have to be brutally honest and write down everything and so far today I have decided I didn't want to write down doughnuts and cookies so I turned them down. :D

Now granted I have just started down this road but I'm thinking if I keep it up I can get back to losing more poundage. :D :D :D
Awesome, that's the best tool I've found. Writing it down.

johnson2113
Hoot!

Post by johnson2113 »

MammaBear wrote:Started going to a personal trainer.....my 4th week. Trying hard.....

Hubby made an appointment with a MD who deals in holistic medicine and does "gastro bypass hynosis"....anyone heard of this? Saw it on the news the other day...some things are definately worth the investment! Look interesting!
I'll have to check it out.