Death Penalty in Supreme court

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

Death Penalty in Supreme court

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

I just head this on the news today although this link is from last year. I think they said the Supreme Court is hearing the case of capital punishment for child rapists. Now I am on the fence about the death penalty but this one has a little more meaning. I am all for it as long as there is no margin of error since we will be taking a life. But if there is no doubt the idiots should be drawn and quartered first.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la- ... n-leftrail
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

They should be gelded.

CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

green1 wrote:They should be gelded.
true, but that wouldn't keep them away from and harming innocent children who are helpless to adults.
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

I would like to see the end of the death penalty. Life without parole is fine by me. I believe it is crueler to the criminal and victims family to drag out the sentences for 10-25 years before actually executing. The death penalty is no longer a deterrent because it is not quick administered. There are also a lot of statistical arguments that it is biased. Get rid of it and you remove one of the issues that divides the country. I also find it hypocritical that the conservatives are strongly opposed to killing of unborn children but they are willing to judge and murder criminals. I'm not a fan of child molesters but any judgement that leads to the abolishment of the death penalty is good by me.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

As someone who has had a family member tortured and murdered.....and went through the whole process up to the execution of the two convicted a$$holes....

I will say that we breath better knowing they are not breathing the same air or sharing the same planet with us.

I do the the death penalty should be reserved for homicide......but that's a very personal opinion.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

perhaps they should be de-nutted.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Migration Michelle »

WOW! Imagine if it was your own daughter... :( Some of our minds might change.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Skibo wrote:I would like to see the end of the death penalty. Life without parole is fine by me. I believe it is crueler to the criminal and victims family to drag out the sentences for 10-25 years before actually executing. The death penalty is no longer a deterrent because it is not quick administered. There are also a lot of statistical arguments that it is biased. Get rid of it and you remove one of the issues that divides the country. I also find it hypocritical that the conservatives are strongly opposed to killing of unborn children but they are willing to judge and murder criminals. I'm not a fan of child molesters but any judgement that leads to the abolishment of the death penalty is good by me.
While most of the time I want to poke you in the eyes with a letter opener, I couldn't said it better myself.

someoneiused2love

Post by someoneiused2love »

buffettbride wrote:
Skibo wrote:I would like to see the end of the death penalty. Life without parole is fine by me. I believe it is crueler to the criminal and victims family to drag out the sentences for 10-25 years before actually executing. The death penalty is no longer a deterrent because it is not quick administered. There are also a lot of statistical arguments that it is biased. Get rid of it and you remove one of the issues that divides the country. I also find it hypocritical that the conservatives are strongly opposed to killing of unborn children but they are willing to judge and murder criminals. I'm not a fan of child molesters but any judgement that leads to the abolishment of the death penalty is good by me.
While most of the time I want to poke you in the eyes with a letter opener, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

buffettbride wrote:
While most of the time I want to poke you in the eyes with a letter opener, I couldn't said it better myself.
Both eyes?

rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

Wow, this is a very, very delicate topic. Unless you have personally experienced a crime where the the death penalty is a possibility, it's really hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
I have always thought I was in favor of the death penalty for certain crimes, I am not so sure now. Unless there is absolutely, positively no doubt that someone committed the crime that DNA validifies, maybe, life with absolutely no chance of parole may be better. People on death row have been cleared many years later by DNA.
Read John Grisham's "The Innocent Man" and you to might change your opinion of the death penalty. There are too many police and prosecutors just looking to close a case with no regard for facts and evidence.
Rum. Helping ugly people have sex since 1762.

MammaBear
I Love the Now!

Post by MammaBear »

CRUELER TO THE CRIMINAL??? Are you kidding - we are now worried about being cruel to the person who raped a child or killed a loved one? So...let's put these people in prisons for life and provide them college educations, libraries, movies and all things to which they are "entitled"???

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

MammaBear wrote: CRUELER TO THE CRIMINAL??? Are you kidding - we are now worried about being cruel to the person who raped a child or killed a loved one? So...let's put these people in prisons for life and provide them college educations, libraries, movies and all things to which they are "entitled"???
I could give a rats behind about the criminal. Once convicted, sentence them to life without parole and they are out of sight out of mind. No more exploitation by the media for political purposes, no more pain to the victims family fighting for vengeance. I also support putting the major perves in general population and letting it out what their crime was. Jailhouse justice doesn't bother me. I don't believe any human is qualified to make a life/death judgement on anyone. Religious people believe that there is a final judgement day or an afterlife based on your life. I'm not religious. I do have a cousin serving a life sentence for a crime he was convicted of when he was 15. I changed my opinion on the death penalty about 5 years ago. My cousin has been inprisoned for over 20 years now. His situation has nothing to do with my opinions.

flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

Capital punishment for child rapists? No I can't agree.

I don't support capital punishment in any circumstance. Too many mistakes have been made. Since the advent of DNA testing, dozens of convicted death row inmates have been exonerated and set free.

Some other punishment for serious crimes, but not the death penalty.

momsrule27
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita!

Post by momsrule27 »

pbans wrote:As someone who has had a family member tortured and murdered.....and went through the whole process up to the execution of the two convicted a$$holes....

I will say that we breath better knowing they are not breathing the same air or sharing the same planet with us.

I do the the death penalty should be reserved for homicide......but that's a very personal opinion.
I am sorry that you and your family had to go through such a tragic experience. I am against the death penalty but I can sympathize with the way you feel. As far as pedophiles, child rapists, scumbags, whatever you want to call them, I believe they cannot be reformed and therefore should be locked up for the rest of their lives.
Ciao!
Char

--------------------

MOTM 2011, 2009, 2008, 2005

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

This particular case is specific to individuals who sexually abuse children under 12.

That said, many child advocacy groups are against the death penalty being applied to these offenders because they feel if the penalty for molesting a child is the same as killing a child, then the perpetrator may kill the child to avoid leaving a witness that could testify against him/her.
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

buffettbride wrote:
this sounds like fodder for the next Critterville. :lol: :lol:
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

So you work for the Cottage industry that is known as the
US. justice system and need to protect your job?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

flyboy55 wrote:Capital punishment for child rapists? No I can't agree.

I don't support capital punishment in any circumstance. Too many mistakes have been made. Since the advent of DNA testing, dozens of convicted death row inmates have been exonerated and set free.

Some other punishment for serious crimes, but not the death penalty.
put them in Gen Pop.. no need to kill them ourselves..

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

pbans wrote:As someone who has had a family member tortured and murdered.....and went through the whole process up to the execution of the two convicted a$$holes....

and it's rare that you and I don't see eye to eye..
I think a lot more things should be capital crimes..