2009 NHL Playoffs

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Re: 2009 NHL Playoffs

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Predictions anyone?

I'm going Wings in 6 but I'll know more about it after I watch tonight (and tomorrow)....Part of the problem is that the two conferences really don't play each other so there's no way to judge their style...

However from what I've seen, Pittsburgh has an agressive style that may hamper them when they play against a more focused defense...Carolina spent so much time beating NJ and Boston that they were pretty much out of gas against Pittsburgh...
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???
Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

Wings in 7. Looks like a long series and Pittsburgh won't be able to win it in Detroit in a game 7. Should be very entertaining.
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

I'm going with the penguins in 6....think the Pens are on a roll, the Wings have injuries and are running out of gas and the Pens have the better goaltender.....but it's hard to vote against the Wings. Have to agree that the Pens can't win a game 7 in Detroit. If they can get to game 7 the Wings will take it.
ImageImage

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

PENS in 5!!!

Oh, no he din't. Oh yes I did.

Pens haven't won any of their three series this season on Home Ice, and I think that continues.
Calypso Poet 99
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Calypso Poet 99 »

I just looked on TM and there are still seats for the game tonight. Row 15 in the corner for a mear $350 each.
Each day is better than the next.

-Woogy
Calypso Poet 99

I almost forgot, Wings in 6.

Go Wings!

-Woogy
blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

ugh.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by SMLCHNG »

blackjack wrote:ugh.
I'll second that.
AdamBomb8
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Coastal Confessions
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: BEER! It's good food

Post by AdamBomb8 »

blackjack wrote:ugh.
Lot of wild bounces in the game. Thought the Pens played pretty well. I think they can get the split going back to Pittsburgh. If they don't they'll be in a pretty deep hole against this team.
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

I'm thinking the Pens will win at least one game, possibly two, but that will be it.

And I'm really gonna laugh if the Wings sweep again. 2 in a row - that would be something.

The East teams don't have the depth that the West teams do. Not this year or last year. Maybe in the future. But for now, Wings will win the Cup again.
Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

Game 1 was awesome. Red Wings fans are great hockey fans.

Looking forward to Game 2, but it'll be a letdown cuz I gotta watch it on TV.
Attachments
Game 1 - Red Wings win!!!
Game 1 - Red Wings win!!!
Game 1.JPG (17.91 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.
Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Detroit has really been "taking it to them". I think the Penguins need to slow their game down a bit... They're so agressive on offense that they seem to forget how to play defense....

I think this series will probably go six or seven but I'm not liking the Pens chances right now....
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???
blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Double ugh.

The good news is apparently you can clutch and grab and "subtly interfere" (as the announcers call it) and there is no penalty for that. The Pens just have to realize this and implement it.

Sorry Red Wings, no bouncy boards at the Igloo, you may have to actually earn a goal in Pittsburgh.
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Don't worry - they'll earn their goals the same way in Pittsburgh as they did in Detroit - by shooting it by Marc-Andre Fleury with ease.

Another Detroit Stanley Cup on the way via Pittsburgh.
Calypso Poet 99

blackjack wrote:Double ugh.

The good news is apparently you can clutch and grab and "subtly interfere" (as the announcers call it) and there is no penalty for that. The Pens just have to realize this and implement it.

Sorry Red Wings, no bouncy boards at the Igloo, you may have to actually earn a goal in Pittsburgh.
I guess you can just blame Albdelkaters goal in the 3rd just poor goal tending since he was no where near the boards.

-Woogy
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

I guess you can just blame Albdelkaters goal in the 3rd just poor goal tending since he was no where near the boards.
No, that 3rd goal had more play in it than a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.....HNIC showed the replay and you could see the puck lift and go right over Fleury's glove...awesome goal!!!
I do agree though that the second goal was BS...that was clearly a hook and should have been called.
That said, the Wings are looking good, and unless the Pens are able to use the Igloo to get their game back, the Wings will be raising the Cup again this year.
ImageImage

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

Yep. So the score is 1-1, right? Nope unfortunately, the wings know their boards and use them to their advantage. To say otherwise is foolish. I'm hoping the Pens are able to even this series at home by playing some smart hockey, using the last change advantage to it's fullest and breaking some of the BS hockey that Detroit uses.

The league says they want this to be an exciting match-up but even Detroits fans don't show up for games. The Devils playing the trap suffer the same fate. Boring hockey equals a failing league. I was able to pull up tix for both games all through the time from onsale to game time in Detroit. Not so in Pittsburgh.

As long as you understand that Zetterberg should have been called both nights for closing his hand on the puck or whatever you choose to call his nonsense in the crease. Maybe the Pens should just stack 2-3 guys in the net to fill it up and prevent goals, seems to work for the Wings.

Let's Go Pens!
Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

C-Dawg wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

No, that 3rd goal had more play in it than a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.....HNIC showed the replay and you could see the puck lift and go right over Fleury's glove...awesome goal!!!
I do agree though that the second goal was BS...that was clearly a hook and should have been called.
The second Detroit goal was the Filppula’s backhander right? The shot itself (and the goal) was pretty impressive, although wasn't it a slash that broke Gil's stick and Detroit was able to keep it in and score? Should have been a penalty.

As for the 3rd goal, that was pretty sweet too. A knuckleball is a good description.

And for those interested:
Under NHL rules, any player drawing an instigating penalty in the final five minutes is to be suspended for the next game, but the rule allows some flexibility depending on the circumstances.
“None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation,” NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement issued by the league. “Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded.”
Last edited by Hockey Mon on June 1, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

I would feel better if Detroit's third goals were empty netters in the closing minutes. Still think the Pens have a chance they are going to have a hard time winning in Detroit those fans are amazing. I love watching Crosby play Detroit has done a great job keeping him down. Either way thumbs down to the league and NBC for having back2back games.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
A1A-Keet
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by A1A-Keet »

I loved the fight game2. I have seen many hockey fights but that was a good fight :D .....Good fight, probably the only highlight of that game for me..... :-? At this point It's not looking good for the Pens but It's not over til' the fat lady sings I suppose..... :-?
FFF2 - 2008
FFF3 - 2009
FFF4 - 2010