2009 NHL Playoffs

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Calypso Poet 99
I need two more boat drinks

Re: 2009 NHL Playoffs

Post by Calypso Poet 99 »

blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote: The league says they want this to be an exciting match-up but even Detroits fans don't show up for games. The Devils playing the trap suffer the same fate. Boring hockey equals a failing league. I was able to pull up tix for both games all through the time from onsale to game time in Detroit. Not so in Pittsburgh.

That a pretty cruel statement the day GM files for bankruptcy. DONT ever question Detroit’s enthusiasm for their Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons, or even the Lions. Michigan has the highest unemployment in the country. It’s not that easy for an un-employed auto worker, auto supplier, auto engineer, or anyone else who depends on the auto industry to cough up $350 per seat to see a hockey game.
Each day is better than the next.

-Woogy

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Hockey Mon wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote:Double ugh.

The good news is apparently you can clutch and grab and "subtly interfere" (as the announcers call it) and there is no penalty for that. The Pens just have to realize this and implement it.

Sorry Red Wings, no bouncy boards at the Igloo, you may have to actually earn a goal in Pittsburgh.
I guess you can just blame Albdelkaters goal in the 3rd just poor goal tending since he was no where near the boards.
No, that 3rd goal had more play in it than a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.....HNIC showed the replay and you could see the puck lift and go right over Fleury's glove...awesome goal!!!
I do agree though that the second goal was BS...that was clearly a hook and should have been called.
The second Detroit goal was the Filppula’s backhander right? The shot itself (and the goal) was pretty impressive, although wasn't it a slash that broke Gil's stick and Detroit was able to keep it in and score? Should have been a penalty.

As for the 3rd goal, that was pretty sweet too. A knuckleball is a good description.

And for those interested:
Under NHL rules, any player drawing an instigating penalty in the final five minutes is to be suspended for the next game, but the rule allows some flexibility depending on the circumstances.
“None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation,” NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement issued by the league. “Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded.”
Check out the video and YOU determine if it was a slash that broke the stick! Also, the goat on the play was Malkin. If he doesn't obliterate Holmstrom by cross-checking him into Fleury good chance M.A.F. is there to make the save. Image
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote: The league says they want this to be an exciting match-up but even Detroits fans don't show up for games. The Devils playing the trap suffer the same fate. Boring hockey equals a failing league. I was able to pull up tix for both games all through the time from onsale to game time in Detroit. Not so in Pittsburgh.

That a pretty cruel statement the day GM files for bankruptcy. DONT ever question Detroit’s enthusiasm for their Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons, or even the Lions. Michigan has the highest unemployment in the country. It’s not that easy for an un-employed auto worker, auto supplier, auto engineer, or anyone else who depends on the auto industry to cough up $350 per seat to see a hockey game.
So there are no people in Michigan that can afford tix? Newark is a poor city but surrounded by some of the most affluent counties in the country and people still didn't and don't show for the Devils games. I drive 5= hours to get back to Pittsburgh to see my Pens play, If the Wings had fans, they would come.

Or, maybe the insensitive owners of the Wings could lower some prices. I meant $200 for Standing Room Only?!?! c'mon. Pittsburgh's SRO is "only" $125.

I'm not insensitive, but you go ahead and paint it that way.

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

Dr.Corona wrote:
Hockey Mon wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

The good news is apparently you can clutch and grab and "subtly interfere" (as the announcers call it) and there is no penalty for that. The Pens just have to realize this and implement it.

Sorry Red Wings, no bouncy boards at the Igloo, you may have to actually earn a goal in Pittsburgh.
I guess you can just blame Albdelkaters goal in the 3rd just poor goal tending since he was no where near the boards.
No, that 3rd goal had more play in it than a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.....HNIC showed the replay and you could see the puck lift and go right over Fleury's glove...awesome goal!!!
I do agree though that the second goal was BS...that was clearly a hook and should have been called.
The second Detroit goal was the Filppula’s backhander right? The shot itself (and the goal) was pretty impressive, although wasn't it a slash that broke Gil's stick and Detroit was able to keep it in and score? Should have been a penalty.

As for the 3rd goal, that was pretty sweet too. A knuckleball is a good description.

Under NHL rules, any player drawing an instigating penalty in the final five minutes is to be suspended for the next game, but the rule allows some flexibility depending on the circumstances.
“None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation,” NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement issued by the league. “Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded.”
Check out the video and YOU determine if it was a slash that broke the stick! Also, the goat on the play was Malkin. If he doesn't obliterate Holmstrom by cross-checking him into Fleury good chance M.A.F. is there to make the save. Image
From that angle, it looks like the stick broke before Hossa made contact with it so yeah, I'll give that to you. I don't remember seeing that angle on TV last night. You got a replay on the Malkin cross-check? I'd like to make the call on that one too. 8)
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...

Calypso Poet 99

blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

So there are no people in Michigan that can afford tix? Newark is a poor city but surrounded by some of the most affluent counties in the country and people still didn't and don't show for the Devils games. I drive 5= hours to get back to Pittsburgh to see my Pens play, If the Wings had fans, they would come.

Or, maybe the insensitive owners of the Wings could lower some prices. I meant $200 for Standing Room Only?!?! c'mon. Pittsburgh's SRO is "only" $125.

I used to pay premium prices to a scalper for regular season games when they sold out every game. Its just a sign of the times.

-Woogy

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

I used to pay premium prices to a scalper for regular season games when they sold out every game. Its just a sign of the times.
You mean before they started playing this clutch and grab trap garbage?

Calypso Poet 99

I havent been to a Buffett concert in a couple years either. That doesnt mean that I dont like the way he performs now.

The Wings attendance was 814,474 this year, where the Pens were at 659,940. JLA seats about 3000 more so if my math is correct, it looks like just about the same % fans through the door.

I think I must have missed the Boycott the Wings threads because of the way they play hockey :-?

-Woogy

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Same gripe as last year - old story. Empty seats in JLA. So some people can't make it to the games - or tickets were not sold. Whatever. Detroit will win the Cup again this year. The way it's going now, they'll hoist it in Mellon Arena again. Pretty funny I think, for 'poor' Detroit.

blackjacks wife
Hoot!

Post by blackjacks wife »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:I havent been to a Buffett concert in a couple years either. That doesnt mean that I dont like the way he performs now.

The Wings attendance was 814,474 this year, where the Pens were at 659,940. JLA seats about 3000 more so if my math is correct, it looks like just about the same % fans through the door.

I think I must have missed the Boycott the Wings threads because of the way they play hockey :-?
Actually, Pittsburgh's sold out each an every game going back to the middle of last season. So Pittsburgh's percentage is 100%.

MORE AL!!!

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Oops. Wife was logged in and in fact, I jumped in the space time continuum. The pens have sold out about 120 straight games, so that would be 2.5 years of sell outs.

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

Hockey Mon wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:
Hockey Mon wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
Calypso Poet 99 wrote:

From that angle, it looks like the stick broke before Hossa made contact with it so yeah, I'll give that to you. I don't remember seeing that angle on TV last night. You got a replay on the Malkin cross-check? I'd like to make the call on that one too. 8)
I never complained about the non-slash, it was the hook that wasn't called right before that video that I thought was BS.
Sadly refs put away the whistle in the playoffs claiming they don't want to decide the game...thats BS...utter BS. Call the games the same way from the first period of the preseason thru game 7 of the playoffs...that way every team will know what they can and can't get away with and it's even. The way the refs are calling games the players don't know what will or won't get called.
Did anyone see the farce of an interview between little Napoleon (Bettman) and Ron McLean on HNIC???
ImageImage

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Detroit still has had more people show up for hockey games than Pittsburgh. For this season Detroit had 814,474 for 41 games while Pittsburgh had 695,997. That's an average of 19,865 to 16,975 a game.

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Hockey Mon »

JustDucky wrote:Detroit still has had more people show up for hockey games than Pittsburgh. For this season Detroit had 814,474 for 41 games while Pittsburgh had 695,997. That's an average of 19,865 to 16,975 a game.
A quick check shows the capacity of Joe Louis is 19,995 and the capacity of Mellon is 17,800. So, you can't really go by the total # of people going to the game. And sellout's can be decieving also; someone buying the ticket but not going to the game still counts towards a sellout.

Now that you have the capacities, you guys can start playing with the numbers to support your arguments.

Great game last night by both teams.

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

JustDucky wrote:Detroit still has had more people show up for hockey games than Pittsburgh. For this season Detroit had 814,474 for 41 games while Pittsburgh had 695,997. That's an average of 19,865 to 16,975 a game.

Should we add the 4,000-10,000 (depending on weather) that show up outside the arena to watch the playoffs on the big screen...when VS. allows it versus NBC who won't allow it? God, NBC sux, but don't get me started on them.

I'm an Altered Boy
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by I'm an Altered Boy »

Go Pens!!!

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Another hard fought game last night. Pens started fast.....finished fast.....Got their hitting game in motion. Wings had their chances in the middle stages of the game.

Freakin' Darren Helm.....Pens kept smoking the guy & he just gets up & starts blazin' around the ice again.

I am concerned the Wings are getting a bit worn down. A near healthy Datsyuk sure would be a nice addtion but it's not looking good. Zetterburg is skating his fanny off but other than the kid line not getting much help, although Franzen seems to be in the right place right time once a game.

Bottom line.....the team that has got the best goaltending in each game has won that game. Last night was M.A.F.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1zvtq95&s=5 Oops!! :lol:

GO WINGS!!!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

"Referees have been doing such a great job."

HA!

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Hockey Mon »

blackjack wrote:Should we add the 4,000-10,000 (depending on weather) that show up outside the arena to watch the playoffs on the big screen...when VS. allows it versus NBC who won't allow it? God, NBC sux, but don't get me started on them.
I will say that is pretty cool. Nothing like watching the game outside with 4-10K of your closest friends. Things I wonder are:
1. If the game was on a national station, would there be that big of a turn out? Didn't they do that last year too?
2. The NHL needs to get national coverage for all of the playoff games, not just the weekend ones (preaching to choir here probably).
3. How could NBC not allow it? I don't get that. Is that part of the "rebroadcast of this event is prohibited without the express written consent of th NHL/NBC?" Sorry I'm getting you started....someone else can answer so blackjack doesn't blow a gasket. 8) :lol: :D

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Hockey Mon wrote:
blackjack wrote:Should we add the 4,000-10,000 (depending on weather) that show up outside the arena to watch the playoffs on the big screen...when VS. allows it versus NBC who won't allow it? God, NBC sux, but don't get me started on them.
I will say that is pretty cool. Nothing like watching the game outside with 4-10K of your closest friends. Things I wonder are:
1. If the game was on a national station, would there be that big of a turn out? Didn't they do that last year too?
2. The NHL needs to get national coverage for all of the playoff games, not just the weekend ones (preaching to choir here probably).
3. How could NBC not allow it? I don't get that. Is that part of the "rebroadcast of this event is prohibited without the express written consent of th NHL/NBC?" Sorry I'm getting you started....someone else can answer so blackjack doesn't blow a gasket. 8) :lol: :D
NBC has a "policy" this year that prohibits the broadcasting of "their" telecast on arena jumbotrons or projections screens. (it fears lowered ratings)

This all started as an event to get the fans together as a community with Fox Sports Pittsburgh. Versus allowed it to continue last year and NBC grudingly allowed one game (or was it Versus) when the pens were in Detroit to be shown inside the arena and fans paid $5 which was donated to charity. This year, NBC won't even agree to that. Greedy pricks that they are can't even help a charity.

Pittsburgh still generated a 27+ rating (meaning 27 % of all TVs on, were tuned to the game, which is HUGE) on FSP for earlier rounds with the screen in place. And yes, they did it last year. They still are getting these huge crowds and delviering TV ratings and filling up their "oldest building in the league".

And yes, if they ever want to grow this game, they need more national exposure, but NBC didn't want to risk a game going into overtime and disrupting the first week of Conan on the Tonight Show.

(Also, and this is a very slight concession on my part, but they need to call games consistently. i.e. clutching and grabbing is OK in game 1 & 2, but they make an announcement that it's not OK in game three. Zetterberg closes his hand on the puck in Games 1 AND 2 and gets away with it and the Pens skate around with 6 men for 21 seconds in Game 3...and these are the best refs in the league?!?!?)

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze

Post by blackjack »

Oh, and I'm not complaining about the refs too much, there have been horrendous calls and non-calls on both sides of the ice. I'm more complainging about the league and its consistency on calling games.