If you have a cell phone given to you by your office....

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

If you have a cell phone given to you by your office....

Post by aeroparrot »

If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Re: If you have a cell phone given to you by your office....

Post by ScarletB »

i have a work Blackberry but I kept my personal cell. I hardly use the thing except to check emails when I'm not in my office. Don't use my cell phone much either except on concert weekends! :D
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

ScarletB wrote:i have a work Blackberry but I kept my personal cell. I hardly use the thing except to check emails when I'm not in my office. Don't use my cell phone much either except on concert weekends! :D

I'm not sure how they will work for you and if you are still required to pay the taxes on the 25% of the calls even if you don't use it very much. Knowing the government, probably yes.

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Change is good.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

aeroparrot wrote:
ScarletB wrote:i have a work Blackberry but I kept my personal cell. I hardly use the thing except to check emails when I'm not in my office. Don't use my cell phone much either except on concert weekends! :D

I'm not sure how they will work for you and if you are still required to pay the taxes on the 25% of the calls even if you don't use it very much. Knowing the government, probably yes.
Then I'll just give it back, I have that choice. It's not like I ENJOY being able to see work emails on vacation. :roll:
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

aeroparrot wrote:
You'll have to keep records to prove you use it only for work.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
aeroparrot wrote:
You'll have to keep records to prove you use it only for work.
I don't know how I'd do that as I don't ever see the bill, it goes right through the bank. And so far I've only used it to check emails when I'm out of the office. Like I said, I'll just give the silly thing back, it's not like I love having it. :D
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

would think that the tax would apply if you were operating as a mixed-use. If it is a business-phone taking only business calls/emails and provided by the company, and you can prove there was no personal usage, it is not income, just a tool.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

RinglingRingling wrote:would think that the tax would apply if you were operating as a mixed-use. If it is a business-phone taking only business calls/emails and provided by the company, and you can prove there was no personal usage, it is not income, just a tool.
Yep, true, but what the IRS is proposing is they will ASSUME you're using it for 1/4 private use unless you can PROVE you're not. And proving it will be an incredible PITA..... :-?

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

I carry two phones, one work, one personal.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:would think that the tax would apply if you were operating as a mixed-use. If it is a business-phone taking only business calls/emails and provided by the company, and you can prove there was no personal usage, it is not income, just a tool.
Yep, true, but what the IRS is proposing is they will ASSUME you're using it for 1/4 private use unless you can PROVE you're not. And proving it will be an incredible PITA..... :-?
easy enough. 2 phones. 1 personal, 1 for business. company has strict policies about usage.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

RinglingRingling wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
easy enough. 2 phones. 1 personal, 1 for business. company has strict policies about usage.
I hope it's as easy as that, and it SHOULD be.... But with the IRS, I doubt it.... :-?

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Just do what I did.
Destroy two work phones, somehow get out of paying for them and they won't give you any more :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

This tax was originally passed in 1989. According to the Reuters article

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... RP20090612

it seems that employers will assign an arbitrary percentage and that will be the taxed value. Seems to me that the employer should state that company cell phones are for company use only and not personal. This seems very difficult to enforce to me. What's the government going to do fire you from your job for violating the company policy of business use only? Hmmmm...Rick Wagoner was fired by the government I guess anything is possible. What about personal calls from land lines? Shouldn't they be taxed also? And personal use of the copy machine. and personal use of the internet. Shouldn't that all be taxed?
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Skibo wrote:This tax was originally passed in 1989. According to the Reuters article

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... RP20090612

it seems that employers will assign an arbitrary percentage and that will be the taxed value. Seems to me that the employer should state that company cell phones are for company use only and not personal. This seems very difficult to enforce to me. What's the government going to do fire you from your job for violating the company policy of business use only? Hmmmm...Rick Wagoner was fired by the government I guess anything is possible. What about personal calls from land lines? Shouldn't they be taxed also? And personal use of the copy machine. and personal use of the internet. Shouldn't that all be taxed?
FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T GIVE THEM ANY *MORE* IDEAS!!!!!
(I'll stop shouting now...)
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

CaptainP wrote:I carry two phones, one work, one personal.
Same here.
I'd been keeping my work cell phone turned off when I'm not AT work, but, as we're supposed to be available 24/7, and, since I DO like getting "on call" pay, I now leave it on all the time.

We're not SUPPOSED to make long distance personal calls with the work cell, but it's *authorized* from the office.

??????????????????????????????????????????????? [smilie=huh-ani.gif] [smilie=huh-ani.gif] [smilie=huh-ani.gif]
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by aeroparrot »

Unfortunately, based on what the article states, the IRS will assume you're using the company phone for personal usage and force you to pay taxes on the usage. Knowing the IRS, they will make it very difficult for you to prove that you don't use it for personal calls. Knowing them, if you ask the other person on the line how they are doing, they could rule that a personal call (even if we ask it to be polite).

seminolegrl06
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino I Know
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by seminolegrl06 »

aeroparrot wrote:
Unfortunately, based on what the article states, the IRS will assume you're using the company phone for personal usage and force you to pay taxes on the usage. Knowing the IRS, they will make it very difficult for you to prove that you don't use it for personal calls. Knowing them, if you ask the other person on the line how they are doing, they could rule that a personal call (even if we ask it to be polite).
I thought Obama was giving 90% of americans a tax cut?! This sounds like if affects more than just the "rich" top brackets of tax payers... hmmmm...

Perhaps when republicans tired to explain these type of tax raises (the kind that affects large amounts of tax payers) we were right...
[/url]

"Strange situations, wild occupations, livin my life like a song"
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

aeroparrot wrote:
having spoken to an accountant with access to the original rules, and dimly remembering the conversation:

a) company provides phone, has policy in place, performs regular audits of usage, probably not a problem.
b) company provides phone, no policy in place, no audit of usage: on the hook for the taxes.
c) company provides phone, policy in place, user audits and reimburses for any personal use on proration system, probably not a problem.

yes it depends on the amount of paperwork provided/required, but basically it sounds like the usual: keep records, engage in basic business practices and it isn't an issue. Get creative or sloppy, you will probably have one.

And if the rules were on the book since 1989 and not enforced, that takes it all the way back to Geo. I "Read my lips"'s era. So evidently the Repubs wanted a cash grab back then too.
LIBuffettFan
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: My favorites seem to change with the seasons
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: Some patron please

Post by LIBuffettFan »

So let me see, if I use my work phone for personal use I have to pay taxes on it, so that would reason that if I use my personal cell for business then I should get a tax credit as a business expense, maybe that would offset the taxes for my work phone!! God I hate the IRS. :-?