Any experience with Adderall XR?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Any experience with Adderall XR?

Post by blackjack »

Anyone have kids with ADD/ADHD?

Have they been prescribed Adderall XR? (or another drug? Ritalin? Focalin?)

Looking to gain some info beyond the pretty pamphlets the drug companies put out and hear some real life stories of success (or failure).

Thanks!

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Re: Any experience with Adderall XR?

Post by buffettbride »

Hubby's bro (an adult) has severe ADD. I believe he has taken Adderall before, but I don't have any really helpful information about how much it has helped.

I have heard from a number of my gluten-free mommies who have ADD/ADHD kids, that they have been able to use a gluten free diet to help manage ADD/ADHD.

Is Adderall the patch? I know that my nephew has used whatever med is the ADHD patch. He has a number of issues in addition to the ADHD, but it definitely helps control the symptoms. The one effect is lack of appetite. He is very, very thin.

Best of luck with your kiddo.

Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 42
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

There's tons of drugs out there right now......new ones like Concerta and Vvyanse and the older ones can really help.....but you need to keep a close watch for side effects......I've (I'm a school nurse) seen kids go from D's and F's to B's and C's with meds and help with organizational techniques. But remember.......drugs do not solve all the issues people face with ADD/ADHD. They need to be carefully evaluated and learn different techniques to assist them and also the school needs to be involved with the whole process.....accomodations for test taking and learning are critical for long term success.

Good Luck!
'17-CHS
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"

Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

We took Adderall XR for a couple (few)? years, but switched to Vyvanse about a year ago.
Didn't have any problems with Adderall and MJM did well on it, but the Vyvanse is essentially the same thing but designed not to come on as strong (i.e., it comes on very gently...MJM says he doesn't realize when the drug takes effect), and it fades out gently.

They're both made by Shire, and both extended release, but the Vyvanse is just "smoother".
This also reduces it's desirability for abuse, since there's no "high".

Regarding food, I realize MJM probably doesn't eat well at school, but I try to get him to eat high protien foods at home, and I regularly give him small snacks.

I generally don't medicate him when he's home on weekends, unless were going to be around groups of people or he's involved in some activity. He generally does fine when we're home alone without medication.
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog

pirates wife at 40 sumtin
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in Latitudes
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by pirates wife at 40 sumtin »

PM coming your way

blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

Thanks all. And Candy, I'll call you this weekend.

Thanks.

Dally
Little Angel
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Vodka and Cranberry

Post by Dally »

My nephew has ADHD and he is on Concerta. It helps him to some degree, you can definitely tell a difference in him when he misses a dose.

I don't know how well the meds are supposed to work but that particular one just seems to mellow him out some.....he still has attention problems when he takes the doses correctly, they are just not as bad..

I'm not sure if that makes sense......but that is just what I have noticed in him while on and off the Concerta.
Why is the rum gone?

"All you need is love..." - The Beatles