TSA Full Body Scanners

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

TSA Full Body Scanners

Post by ph4ever »

500 airports are scheduled to have these installed by the end of the year and many airports already have them. Another 500 are scheduled to be installed next year.

Here in Seattle the radio talk shows are buzzing about them because they are set to go live here in Seattle next month.

My first thought was well I have nothing to hide so no big deal; TSA doesn't keep the images. WRONG The more and more I listen to the talk shows about these the more apprehensive I become. I've thought no big deal I'll just opt for the pat down. But now that's all changed because "enhanced pat down" that TSA has launched. So basically now TSA will feel you up if you don't go through their full body scanner.

So I thought I'd take it to BN. What are your thoughts on a full body scanners?
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Re: TSA Full Body Scanners

Post by TropicalTroubador »

You think those are bad? Wait until the first terrorist gets caught smuggling explosives on board in his rectum.

The additional security protocols *that* will trigger will render it unnecessary to catch bin-Laden; he'll die laughing.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

ph4ever wrote:500 airports are scheduled to have these installed by the end of the year and many airports already have them. Another 500 are scheduled to be installed next year.

Here in Seattle the radio talk shows are buzzing about them because they are set to go live here in Seattle next month.

My first thought was well I have nothing to hide so no big deal; TSA doesn't keep the images. WRONG The more and more I listen to the talk shows about these the more apprehensive I become. I've thought no big deal I'll just opt for the pat down. But now that's all changed because "enhanced pat down" that TSA has launched. So basically now TSA will feel you up if you don't go through their full body scanner.

I saw some short news story about pat downs @ Logan in Boston that looked like something that should be done at a Buffett tailgate, not at an airport. The agent was running his/hers (not sure which) hand down a woman's chest and went right between her boobs. Seems a bit excessive for me.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Hockey Mon wrote:
ph4ever wrote:500 airports are scheduled to have these installed by the end of the year and many airports already have them. Another 500 are scheduled to be installed next year.

I saw some short news story about pat downs @ Logan in Boston that looked like something that should be done at a Buffett tailgate, not at an airport. The agent was running his/hers (not sure which) hand down a woman's chest and went right between her boobs. Seems a bit excessive for me.
One of the radio announcers mentioned crotch pat downs. I don't want some strangers hands down there!!
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by SharkOnLand »

That article seems a little off base, if I'm reading it correctly.

The saved images were from a Florida Courthouse, where the TSA has no authority. It appears that the Marshals were the ones who saved the images. (Ok, on second reading, it appears the Marshals confiscated the images, but it would not have been the TSA that saved them. Likely the local Sheriff or Police or even a private security firm that was in charge of the scanners.) There's no mention of the TSA saving any images. I'm confused.
Image Image
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

SharkOnLand wrote:

The saved images were from a Florida Courthouse, where the TSA has no authority. It appears that the Marshals were the ones who saved the images. (Ok, on second reading, it appears the Marshals confiscated the images, but it would not have been the TSA that saved them. Likely the local Sheriff or Police or even a private security firm that was in charge of the scanners.) There's no mention of the TSA saving any images. I'm confused.
Body Scan Images Saved: TSA Full Body Scanners Controversy – A Federal agency has announced earlier this month that approximately 35,000 body images have been stored, after being scanned by body scanners.
Who saved the images if the TSA didn't? The FDA, IRS, CIA or any other abency would have saved them? It was the TSA that took the images.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

I'm really not even concerned if the images are kept. It's not like they have any resale value to a pron site. I still believe that where there is a will there is a way and even if there were full cavity searches and everyone flew in a straight jacket, a person set on taking a plane out would find a way to git er done. This is just another step to further the erosion of our rights and privacy...I was also opposed to the patriot act.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

ph4ever wrote:
SharkOnLand wrote:

Body Scan Images Saved: TSA Full Body Scanners Controversy – A Federal agency has announced earlier this month that approximately 35,000 body images have been stored, after being scanned by body scanners.
Who saved the images if the TSA didn't? The FDA, IRS, CIA or any other abency would have saved them? It was the TSA that took the images.
The "article," if you want to call it that, doesn't specify which federal agency. Unless they are referring to the Marshals, who confiscated the images, in which case it's still unclear. It doesn't say where the images came from, there's no mention that these images were taken by the TSA, at all. It's possible the scanners are being used in some other security purpose, like the Courthouse they were confiscated from.

It seems like the article is being purposely unclear in order to make the reader think these images came from the TSA, when in fact it's not clear at all where they came from. And I'm not sure I want to trust anything from a website called "spreadit.org".
Image Image
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

If it's a faster way to get through security, I'm fine with it.

As long as they aren't projecting it up on a screen, I don't much care what they do with the image and I doubt anyone would go out of their way to keep mine :lol:

The most embarrassing thing I had happen getting on an airplane had nothing to do with security. I've been on some small planes where they weighed you. One had an old scale with a huge dial where everyone could see the results. I understand the "why" so they could distribute weight throughout the airplane, but I'd have preferred a small, private scale. :oops:
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

It's like a lot of other necessary evils. I don't particularly like it, but I prefer it to having a terrorist get a bomb aboard an airplane...
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
JollyMon66
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by JollyMon66 »

Hockey Mon wrote:

Some people get the best jobs! :pirate:
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

SharkOnLand wrote:I'm not sure I want to trust anything from a website called "spreadit.org".
Surprised it's not blocked by the p-o-r-n filter.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

SharkOnLand wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
SharkOnLand wrote:

The "article," if you want to call it that, doesn't specify which federal agency. Unless they are referring to the Marshals, who confiscated the images, in which case it's still unclear. It doesn't say where the images came from, there's no mention that these images were taken by the TSA, at all. It's possible the scanners are being used in some other security purpose, like the Courthouse they were confiscated from.

It seems like the article is being purposely unclear in order to make the reader think these images came from the TSA, when in fact it's not clear at all where they came from. And I'm not sure I want to trust anything from a website called "spreadit.org".
I honestly think you are dwelling on only a portiion of the issue and trying to make it the whole issue.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Originally there were to be no images kept - there is speculation they have been
Originally the images were supposed to be less vivid to not reveal intimate details of body parts - can we trust that?
What about children? Would you want a young girl going through one with a man viewing the image.
Women - you don't care if a man views your image?

What's next a complete strip search of all passengers?
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

ph4ever wrote:Women - you don't care if a man views your image?
Nope. If it works as advertised, the person viewing is sitting in another room and the passenger's face is blurred, so they can't even tell who I am. I look at it as similar to a doctor's office visit: I don't like disrobing for the doctor, male or female, but it has to be done sometimes. I prefer the full image scanner a hundred times over to the enhanced pat down.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

ph4ever wrote:
<snip for brevity's sake> :)

I honestly think you are dwelling on only a portiion of the issue and trying to make it the whole issue.
The issue is the storage/potential leaking of the TSA's images, right? There's no evidence (from this craptastic article, anyway) of either of those things happening. The article cites NO specifics except for a number. We don't know where these images came from or how they were obtained. It's entirely possible they came from a different organization, that doesn't have the same security measures in place as the TSA does. Maybe the company that tests these machines saved these images to show their capability. We don't know, because it doesn't state any specifics.

Now if a reputable source reports that, in fact, the TSA did leak these images, then it's a different story.

Or if the issue is the body scanners in general, that's also a different story. I'm not a fan of the idea of people looking at my naked faceless body, but if there's no correlation between me and my images, I really don't care. I guess if I did care, I wouldn't fly, and if enough people didn't fly, I'm sure the government would backtrack on this policy. We live in a capitalist society, and we have every right to vote with our wallets.
Last edited by SharkOnLand on August 24, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
ph4ever wrote:Women - you don't care if a man views your image?
Nope. If it works as advertised, the person viewing is sitting in another room and the passenger's face is blurred, so they can't even tell who I am. I look at it as similar to a doctor's office visit: I don't like disrobing for the doctor, male or female, but it has to be done sometimes. I prefer the full image scanner a hundred times over to the enhanced pat down.
Perhaps some of my not trusting the TSA right now, especially out of SeaTac, is because a SeaTac TSA Supervisor was recently arrested for stealing items out of people's luggage.
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Hockey Mon wrote:

That's OK, but if I get searched like that I'd prefer that you buy me dinner first. :D

Otherwise, not an issue for me. If I don't like the rules I can drive or stay home. Obviously, if you omit certain body parts from a search, that's exactly where criminals will hide things.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

Okay - has anyone actually gone through one? Can you tell us your experience?