Results-Only Work Environment

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Results-Only Work Environment

Post by buffettbride »

Anyone's company do this? http://gorowe.com/

Our IT dep't is piloting it for our company. I'm very excited because I mostly work this way anyway--it's just not always socially acceptable.

Best Buy http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 013001.htm and some other companies have had extraordinary success with it. I can see how it would make some folks uncomfortable, but I'm rather excited.

I'm not a want-to-work-at-home-all-the-time type anyway, but the thought of getting my hair done or doing grocery shopping in the middle of the week sounds very appealing.

I call it the "don't judge me" work schedule. :D
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Re: Results-Only Work Environment

Post by pbans »

I really, really like the concept! I envy anyone that can/could do it!
I'm a worker, I like to get in and get my sh*t done.....
Unfortunately, in a retail environment, it wouldn't be feasible.
Unless, of course, I could call all of my customers and ask them to please come in and finish their purchases early in the day!
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

Machine maintenance wouldn't work with this system.
Happy it works for you though. :D
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

pbans wrote:I really, really like the concept! I envy anyone that can/could do it!
I'm a worker, I like to get in and get my sh*t done.....
Unfortunately, in a retail environment, it wouldn't be feasible.
Unless, of course, I could call all of my customers and ask them to please come in and finish their purchases early in the day!
Yeah..retail would be tough, although I think Best Buy may have implemented it in stores, too, not just in corporate. I'll have to read up on that.

It will be interesting to see how the concept and importance of face time fares with this. One of the ideas is that every meeting is optional. It's a scary thing, especially since I am in a meeting heavy environment. We're supposed to question the importance of each meeting and make sure each meeting can achieve a meaningful result and think about our work habits to resolve things instead of just scheduling meetings.
land_shark3
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by land_shark3 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically how sales jobs work? I've noticed the more time I spend stalking around BN, the less I make that month. :roll: :lol:
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

No thanks. I work at a hospital am understaffed. It took me years to realize that I can run around at 100mph and try to do everything, but at the end of the day, week or month, my "To Do" list is still just as long, and I'm not getting any more credit for the extra effort.
I'll show up, do my 40, and go home, thank you very much.
ImageImage

Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Works for some I guess. As a trend I think it is a horrible idea for a larger company. Large companies are packed with inept managers that are unable to provide KPI's to their employees for bonus programs. Even less work would get done under this type of program. In the long run, it would lead to stagnation of a department where special projects would become neglected and incomplete because too many employees "got THEIR work done" and went home. I don't like work from home policies either. Work from home is step 1 towards outsourcing the position. I find it funny that the consultants push team work and sell it to companies and then after the team development, they break up the teams and push work from home and flexible work schedules.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Skibo wrote:Works for some I guess. As a trend I think it is a horrible idea for a larger company. Large companies are packed with inept managers that are unable to provide KPI's to their employees for bonus programs. Even less work would get done under this type of program. In the long run, it would lead to stagnation of a department where special projects would become neglected and incomplete because too many employees "got THEIR work done" and went home. I don't like work from home policies either. Work from home is step 1 towards outsourcing the position. I find it funny that the consultants push team work and sell it to companies and then after the team development, they break up the teams and push work from home and flexible work schedules.
Don't you work from home?

I guess my feeling has always been that it's what a person contributes that matters, not from where they are contributing.
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

yeah, I work from home and I hate every minute of it.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

I work from home two days a week. It helps.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

I worked from home yesterday and I didn't tell anyone and nothing bad happened.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Been working from home full time for several years now...I love it. We got a new regime in a couple years back that frowned on it and my boss went to bat for me...Her thing is as long as I take care of my "to dos" she doesn't care where I am. Do I have laundry going while I'm here, or run out to a doctor's appt or something occasionally? Yes. But I'm also on line earlier and later than I would be if I still had gruesome commutes each way....don't miss that one bit. And there are extra little savings for me, dumb things, like way lower dry cleaning bills, fewer colds, etc.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

For me it's more than just working from home. I don't actually want to work at home all of the time. There are things I enjoy about being in the office.

It's results-based, not pajama-based working. Part of the results I want to achieve include a face-to-face rapport with my clients and boss. So, to achieve that result, being at home won't cut it. It's all about how well you define what the true result is you want to achieve.
Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

On my current project it probably wouldn't work, I'd probably be putting in 12 hours a day just to keep up :(

(And I'd probably still be behind when someone points out something that they didn't see before but has to be done by the end of the day :cry:)
Tinley Park - June 30, Alpine - ???, Vegas -???