Ignorant iPhone/iTunes question of the month

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Ignorant iPhone/iTunes question of the month

Post by popcornjack »

Just what is "Virtual memory Minimum?"

Bought an iPhone and when I go to sync it up, like it tells me I'm supposed to, it pulls up iTunes, like it's supposed to, and then gets to step 2 of 3, and stays there for a long time, before I get an error message saying that my virtual memory is too low and Windows is configuring some way to create more. Just what does this mean? is there something I can do about it to create more virtual memory? And does this syncing up eventually move copies of my iTunes folder on my PC to my iPod app on my phone? And, most important question of all, how the hell did I get this far into the 21st century and still be this technologically moronic?
Last edited by popcornjack on January 24, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
SwissParrotHeads
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: He went to Paris ;-)
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Papa's Pilar Rum

Re: Ignorant computer question of the month

Post by SwissParrotHeads »

Hey popcornjack

First of all:
...how the hell did I get this far into the 21st century and still be this technologically moronic?
Don't worry about this! There is no bad in being a pragmatic user of modern technology without much background knowledge. As long as it works as intended...
"Computers were invented to help us in solving problems we wouldn't have without them!"

As to your actual problem:
This error message (and your pc getting slow) generally means that your pc hasn't got enough free memory to perform the desired action, syncing your phone in this case.

The virtual memory is the so called swap file or page file. Lemme explain this.
Modern software usually needs more memory than you might have installed in your pc, so called RAM. Usually this is 1 or 2 Gigabytes.
To overcome this limitation, Windows uses a file on one of your harddrives (or partitions thereon, if you have) as a kind of extended RAM.
Usually the operating system itself and the executed programs run in the actual installed RAM, and the extended memory is used to execute file operations and store data.

Now sometimes the size of this swap file is limited by fixed settings, sometimes the OS is set to manage the size of the file by itself.
But in either case, this pagefile is limited, either by the set size or / and by the available space on the hard drive / partition it sits on.
By default, IIRC, when Windows is installed, it puts the swap file on the c: drive - the same place where Windows itself and all programs are installed, and where, by default, also the My Documents folder is located.

If this is the case on your pc, there are several ways to solve this problem. But it all depends a bit on the Windows version you use, so I can only give general directions.
If you have many files like mp3's, pictures, documents and so on, and they are stored in your My Documents folder on your c: drive, it would be best to move them to a hard drive / partition which has enough free space. Maybe you'll have to install a new hard drive in order to do so.
You can google for 'moving my documents', one good link to start with is maybe http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_ ... uments.htm

Also a search for virtual memory xp (or your Windows version instead of xp) may bring up some usable help.

But first of all I would suggest you try to determine on which drive your swap file is located, and if there is not much free space left there, free up some space.

Hope this wall of text helps you a bit in resolving your problem!

Phinz up! Mike
Paris, France, September 2010. Paris 2011. Paris 2012. 2013. 2015.
Mansfield MA, Great Woods June 18 2011. And June 2012. And 2013!
Jimmy in Key West, MOTM 2011. Unforgettable! And let's not talk about MOTM 2015 :wink:

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook »

Oh, I am so glad that I am not the only person on this board who asks ignorant questions about computers. However, Jack's is a much more intelligent "ignorant" question than mine ever were.

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

PackPhanGirl
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Survive
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: anything with RUM!

Post by PackPhanGirl »

...and I wanted an iphone since verizon is getting them soon...but this scares me! :o
Survive... stay alive
Till I see you again
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

I am thinking the compatibility is much easier if you own a Mac.
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

PackPhanGirl wrote:...and I wanted an iphone since verizon is getting them soon...but this scares me! :o
The official roll-out date is Feb 10th, 2011. At that time the iPhone will be available at all retail outlets including Verizon Wireless stores, Apple stores, through the internet, and telesales.
16 gbyte iPhone w/two-year contract — $199.99
32 gbyte iPhone w/two-year contract — $299.99
You must be currently eligible for an upgrade to get this phone at these prices. The iPhone will *NOT* be available, at least not at first, through the early upgrade program. Should you absolutely have to have an iPhone and you are not eligible for an upgrade, you will have to pay full retail price, which is expected to be in the $600 - $700 range, depending on the memory capacity of the device.
Like any other smartphone (Droid, Crackberry, Windoze-phone), the iPhone will also require that you have an additional data package in place as well as the calling plan. Prices and data allowance are yet to be determined (or at least made known to us telephone-based CSRs), but will most likely be close to if not the same as current data package pricing.
Additional information/details, as they become available, will be found at verizonwireless.com.

One good bit of information — if you are a current Verizon Wireless customer, you will have a one-week window (starting 2/3/2011) in which you will be able to "pre-register" through the website to purchase an iPhone....on a first-registered/first-served basis. You will still wait until at least 2/10 to actually get the phone, though, and I fully expect that those people who take advantage of this will receive their phones via FedEx rather than being directed to a nearby Verizon or Apple store.
tigzoe wrote:I am thinking the compatibility is much easier if you own a Mac.
You will not need to have a Mac; any computer that will support iTunes will work. In fact, you don't even need to own a computer at all — although you will most likely not be able to use the iPhone to its fullest potential if you do not.

And it goes without saying that Verizon is expecting to sell out of their initial inventories of this phone very very quickly and that it will continue to be in extremely high demand and short supply in the foreseeable future. Don't ask me to save a phone for you; I'm not going to be able to do it.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Re: Ignorant iPhone/iTunes question of the month

Post by popcornjack »

I renamed it because this is now the problem that is driving me nuts.

I have tried the sync three times. All three times I have gotten the virtual memory minimum issue. I have compressed what files I can, gotten rid of others; unfortunately I have no other hard drive to move things to. As the sync goes on, I get two different error messages. The first one:

The Exception Breakpoint
a breakpoint has been reached
(Ox8OOOOOO3) occurred in the application at location Ox7c9o12Oe

click on OK to terminate
click on CANCEL to debug

The second one:

The exception unknown software exception (OXOOOOOfd) occurred in the application at location Ox6d82e3d7

click on OK to terminate
click on CANCEL to debug

Obviously I don't know what either of those mean, all I do know is that the music from my iTunes on my PC is still not in the iPod app on my phone.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
NEO
Behind Door #3
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum, Rhum, and Rum...

Post by NEO »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
PackPhanGirl wrote:...and I wanted an iphone since verizon is getting them soon...but this scares me! :o
The official roll-out date is Feb 10th, 2011. At that time the iPhone will be available at all retail outlets including Verizon Wireless stores, Apple stores, through the internet, and telesales.
16 gbyte iPhone w/two-year contract — $199.99
32 gbyte iPhone w/two-year contract — $299.99
You must be currently eligible for an upgrade to get this phone at these prices. The iPhone will *NOT* be available, at least not at first, through the early upgrade program. Should you absolutely have to have an iPhone and you are not eligible for an upgrade, you will have to pay full retail price, which is expected to be in the $600 - $700 range, depending on the memory capacity of the device.
Like any other smartphone (Droid, Crackberry, Windoze-phone), the iPhone will also require that you have an additional data package in place as well as the calling plan. Prices and data allowance are yet to be determined (or at least made known to us telephone-based CSRs), but will most likely be close to if not the same as current data package pricing.
Additional information/details, as they become available, will be found at verizonwireless.com.

One good bit of information — if you are a current Verizon Wireless customer, you will have a one-week window (starting 2/3/2011) in which you will be able to "pre-register" through the website to purchase an iPhone....on a first-registered/first-served basis. You will still wait until at least 2/10 to actually get the phone, though, and I fully expect that those people who take advantage of this will receive their phones via FedEx rather than being directed to a nearby Verizon or Apple store.
You will not need to have a Mac; any computer that will support iTunes will work. In fact, you don't even need to own a computer at all — although you will most likely not be able to use the iPhone to its fullest potential if you do not.

And it goes without saying that Verizon is expecting to sell out of their initial inventories of this phone very very quickly and that it will continue to be in extremely high demand and short supply in the foreseeable future. Don't ask me to save a phone for you; I'm not going to be able to do it.
-"BB"-

Do you know when Verizon will get the next generation of I-Phone? I can upgrade in May was thinking of waiting for Iphone 5.. What is your advise. I am mostly happy with my NV3.
What is my co-pay for Margaritaville?
Ol'_'96'er
I have found me a home

Post by Ol'_'96'er »

popcornjack wrote:Just what is "Virtual memory Minimum?"

Bought an iPhone and when I go to sync it up, like it tells me I'm supposed to, it pulls up iTunes, like it's supposed to, and then gets to step 2 of 3, and stays there for a long time, before I get an error message saying that my virtual memory is too low and Windows is configuring some way to create more. Just what does this mean? is there something I can do about it to create more virtual memory? And does this syncing up eventually move copies of my iTunes folder on my PC to my iPod app on my phone? And, most important question of all, how the hell did I get this far into the 21st century and still be this technologically moronic?
Blame Canada
TongaTam
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Favorite Boat Drink: TONGA JUICE!!!

Post by TongaTam »

was going to send you to their support site.. but looks like you've already found it!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=12981169
TongaTam.com
Great Woods 2015 ~ Another Voyage to Paradise April 23, 2016 ~ Campstock ~ High Seas Jamboree 2! ~ Annual after GW at the Combah! ~ MOTM 2015!
TongaTam
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Favorite Boat Drink: TONGA JUICE!!!

Post by TongaTam »

TongaTam wrote:was going to send you to their support site.. but looks like you've already found it!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=12981169
and FYI - you wont see anyhing on your phone to sync, it all happens in itunes. You should just hit 'music' and it'll be listed there. In that thread, someone asked if you can play any songs from itunes, can you?
TongaTam.com
Great Woods 2015 ~ Another Voyage to Paradise April 23, 2016 ~ Campstock ~ High Seas Jamboree 2! ~ Annual after GW at the Combah! ~ MOTM 2015!
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

I've never had any problems syncing my Iphone with my PC laptop. Even when said PC was on last legs and hard drive had "bad sectors" I just got a new one and haven't yet attempted to move everything Iphone/Itunes to the new one yet. I have copied Apple's instructions from the web site though.

Wish me luck.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Don't have an iPhone, just an iPod. But this is the best thing ever --
http://www.copytrans.net/
Transfer, sync, and do everything else without iTunes.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

NEO wrote: Do you know when Verizon will get the next generation of I-Phone? I can upgrade in May was thinking of waiting for Iphone 5.. What is your advise. I am mostly happy with my NV3.
At this point, I don't know. In small words, they ain't told us yet. In fact, I still don't even know for sure what the full retail price (that is, cash-and-carry without signing a contract) of the iPhone 4 will be.

Depending on which techie you listen to or whose blog you read, AT&T will get the next generation of iPhone first; Verizon supposedly won't get it until a year from now. So, since Verizon gets the iPhone 4 in February, it would be Feb. of 2012 before they would be allowed to have the iPhone 5. This is supposedly based on the fact that when AT&T was the only cell provider with the iPhone, Apple generally waited a full year before releasing the next model. But since AT&T is no longer the only player in town, who knows how that will change the game....?

As noted before, best location for info from Verizon re: Apple iPhone is the Verizonwireless.com website.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."