Cancer Sucks

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Cancer Sucks

Post by RAGTOP »

Even though I don't come around these parts nearly as often ( I miss many of you guys, unfortunatley the real world has occupied much of my time) I once again wanted to mention that tomorrow and Wednesday will be the WEEI Jimmy Fund Radio Telethon. I have been involved with the Jimmy Fund for a long-time now and since 2002 this telethon has raised more than 25 million for cancer research. Which once started out as a local fundraiser is now truly global as donations come in from every single state and numerous countries around the world. The Jimmy Fund along with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute is the worlds leader in cancer research and cancer care. I've spent many days visitng the 7th floor at Childrens Hospital and Dana Farber in Boston and for those individuals who get treated there they will tell you that it truly is heaven on earth. The work and compassion that the doctors and nurses provide are unparallel and that is why every year thousands of cancer patients from around the world come to Boston to receive treatment. Many people say that these donations don't make a difference and for anyone that says that I would tell you to Google Jordan Leandre Jimmy Fund. I have been lucky enough to see this Leukemia survivor sing the National Anthem at Fenway numerous times and the first time I saw him it was from a wheel chair, then it was with a brace on his right leg and for as many special moments I have seen at Fenway nothing compares to Jordan running the bases in 2007 when just 3 years earlier he couldn't walk. Every donation makes a difference! See everyone at Fenway tomorrow night as the next 2 days are special and its not because the Yankees are in town! :D

http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/reds ... fault.html

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Re: Cancer Sucks

Post by Wino you know »

You're preaching to the choir. I lost my wife 3 years ago to breast cancer, and now my youngest sister has it and isn't doing too good.

But I'll make this fun. For every time the Yankees beat the Red Sox in this series, I'll donate $20.00.
The same goes for when the Red Sox travel to N.Y. in a few weeks.

AND, should the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the A.L.C.S.. I'll donate another $150.00

You have it in writing. :-)
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Thanks, Adam! Good to 'see' you here. The Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber are the best.

Garry, you know we of Red Sox Nation can't let that go.... I'll match you, in reverse. Either way the Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber win! :wink:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

I figure with the record the Yankees have against teams in their division, especially against the Red Sox, I've made a pretty safe bet.

But, considering the cause, no matter what happens in those game, I'll make SOME donation.
kyhulagirl
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour/Fruitcakes
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by kyhulagirl »

Lost my mother 8/24/11 to cancer...it truly does s***!! Would give anything to hear her voice and see her smile again!!
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

Wino you know wrote:You're preaching to the choir. I lost my wife 3 years ago to breast cancer, and now my youngest sister has it and isn't doing too good.

But I'll make this fun. For every time the Yankees beat the Red Sox in this series, I'll donate $20.00.
The same goes for when the Red Sox travel to N.Y. in a few weeks.

AND, should the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the A.L.C.S.. I'll donate another $150.00

You have it in writing. :-)
Garry I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and now your youngest sister. Unfortunatley cancer seems to be the one thing that we all have in common as it effects eveyones lives directly or indirectly. Unfortunatley it took my best friends daughter being diagnosed with Leukemia when she was just 2 years old for me to get involved. Garry I can't thank you enough for your generous donation as every bit helps. The great thing about the Jimmy Fund is that 90 cents of every dollar goes directly to patient care and research and also helps the likes of Lisa Sherber who is the Director of Patient and Family Care at Dana Farber/Childrens Hospital in Boston. Anyone that has spent anytime at Dana Farber knows the work and dedication that Lisa puts in helping families cope with this horrible disease. Thanks again Garry and since your donations are based on the Yankees winning for just this 3 game set I hope its a Yankees sweep... (we have a 1.5 game lead anyway :P )
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Thanks, Adam! Good to 'see' you here. The Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber are the best.

Garry, you know we of Red Sox Nation can't let that go.... I'll match you, in reverse. Either way the Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber win! :wink:
Jen your the best! Thanks.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Adam, that's $20.00 per Yankee win in THIS 3 game set, and the same for each Yankee win in the series coming up against the Red Sox in New York in mid-September. (Plus an additional $150.00 if the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the A.L.C.S.).
When it comes to the lives and the care of people close to us, baseball and everything else takes a back seat.
Again, even if the Yankees lose all of those games, I'll still donate a few $$$.
How in the name of all that is holy can that G.D.disease claim the life of an innocent child like your friend's 2 year old daughter, who wanted nothing more from life other than to HAVE a life, while A-holes like Fidel Castro and Mommar Qadaffi seem to live forever. It boggles the mind.

TO KYHULAGIRL:
I'm extremely sorry for the tradgedy cancer has brought to your family as well.
Keep her spirit alive in your heart, and she'll always be with you.
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

Wino you know wrote:Adam, that's $20.00 per Yankee win in THIS 3 game set, and the same for each Yankee win in the series coming up against the Red Sox in New York in mid-September. (Plus an additional $150.00 if the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the A.L.C.S.).
When it comes to the lives and the care of people close to us, baseball and everything else takes a back seat.
Again, even if the Yankees lose all of those games, I'll still donate a few $$$.
How in the name of all that is holy can that G.D.disease claim the life of an innocent child like your friend's 2 year old daughter, who wanted nothing more from life other than to HAVE a life, while A-holes like Fidel Castro and Mommar Qadaffi seem to live forever. It boggles the mind.

TO KYHULAGIRL:
I'm extremely sorry for the tradgedy cancer has brought to your family as well.
Keep her spirit alive in your heart, and she'll always be with you.
That's awesome Garry. I'm going to set it up in my calendar to check in so get that check book ready :) Forget Castro and Mommar what about Keith Richards...he's a marvel of science. In all seriousness thanks for everything, here's hoping that in 10 years there will be no need to have this telethon anymore. $266,000+ has been donated since this morning and we are hoping for $3 million by tomorrow night. I have been listening to stories from Dana Farber patients all morning and it really puts your day to day troubles in perspective. Garry and KYHULAGIRL keep up the good fight!
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

Here's a great video of the Jimmy Fund and the telethon and you will get a glimpse of Jordan Leandre running the bases at Fenway. I remember sitting at my seat with my wife in section 42 watching this and there wasn't a dry eye within my section including the guy sitting next to me that had on a leather vest, a Harley shirt and weighed 400lbs.

TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

Adam, really awesome to see you on here. Many of us old timers don"t seem to get on the boards very much anymore. Garry, so sorry to her about your loss. Nothing defines forever like a lost loved one. I know that all to well. I have a childhood neigbor that has been fighting cancer for several years now. Had it not been for the Jimmy Fund and the amazing Dr.'s at Dana Faber he would have left us some time ago. I have donated $$ in Jeff's name annually for a few years now. I do it on my birthday each year to remind myself how lucky I am to have good heath. Garry and Jen, here's hoping the Sox n Yanks split everything till the ALCS and the Sox win that 4-3. Adam, if you make it back to SD. look me up.
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor
Seas in my veins
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of a Son
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer

Post by Seas in my veins »

Cancer more then sucks, I just left the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. Bringing my father-in law home to hospice, he battled hard but there isn't anymore they can do and he's in pain. I hope the next few day are quick and pain free for his sake. :cry:
kyhulagirl
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour/Fruitcakes
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by kyhulagirl »

Praying for you and your family, the next few days will be hard! My mother fought a hard battle with a rare type of cancer and everywhere she went she was given 3 months to live, she was strong and lived 2 years with the horrible disease. Miss her more than anything but atleast now she is at peace and not in pain!
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

TheSecretsInTheCrust wrote:Adam, really awesome to see you on here. Many of us old timers don"t seem to get on the boards very much anymore. Garry, so sorry to her about your loss. Nothing defines forever like a lost loved one. I know that all to well. I have a childhood neigbor that has been fighting cancer for several years now. Had it not been for the Jimmy Fund and the amazing Dr.'s at Dana Faber he would have left us some time ago. I have donated $$ in Jeff's name annually for a few years now. I do it on my birthday each year to remind myself how lucky I am to have good heath. Garry and Jen, here's hoping the Sox n Yanks split everything till the ALCS and the Sox win that 4-3. Adam, if you make it back to SD. look me up.
Glenn great to hear from you. I was actually out your way last week for work... was in Carlsbad for a few days... every visit always makes me wonder why I left :wink:

Garry that's $20 :D
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

RAGTOP wrote:Garry thats $20. :D
$20.00 now, and possibly more after the next two games.
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

More than $3.3 million raised over the last 2 days! Thanks everyone.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Wino you know wrote:
I believe my tab also stands at $20. :wink:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
RAGTOP
Behind Door #3

Post by RAGTOP »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Wino you know wrote:
I believe my tab also stands at $20. :wink:
after last night both your tabs now stand at $40 :D
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

I'm very happy to do it, Adam.
You know I love my Yankees, but baseball is just baseball.
If my $40.00 will help anyone going through that crap, I'll gladly send it.
A person feels so helpless when they have to watch somone they truly love endure all that G.D. pain and are powerless to do anything about it.
Send me a P.M. with your address and who to make the check out to, and it'll be on it's way to you.

DON'T FORGET-
My same offer goes for the 3 game series at N.Y. on Sept. 23rd, 24th, & 25th.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know »

Looks like I owe you another $20.00, Adam. And they're playing a double header today, so that amount could increase.