questions about food businesses

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

questions about food businesses

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I have run several service businesses w/my husband. However, this year I began making and selling pickles at farmers markets. It went very well. I have a couple of unusual recipes. I have many return customers. I also picked up two restaurants who are buying and using my product. They are going to place them for sale in their refrigerated cases as part of our agreement. Lately we have been experimenting with fried pickles. We are also doing something different with these. I am considering picking up the necessary equipment to begin selling both fried pickles and my pickles in containers at festivals, especially bbq and smoking cook offs. This is a bit out of my skill area. My husband was a kitchen manager in restaurants for many years and I have a son who is a chef in a small cafe but planning on returning to school. Since festivals are on weekends I could get help from them. I know the health department laws and can be in compliance with these. However, taking my business to this level will require more expenses in insurance, rent and prep time. I will ease in with a few small, local events and not make any long term commitments. Any advice?
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: questions about food businesses

Post by dnw »

No advice, but good luck in your new venture.

Debbie
maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

This may sound trivial, but at the fair last weekend, I noticed the majority of food was being served on sticks. I'm guessing this cuts down on the need for utensils and other paper goods needed for serving.

Since you're starting up, that could be a small cost cutting measure.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.
OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I like the idea of putting the fried pickle chips on sticks. It might make for a good walking snack with some dipping sauce. I will definitely try this. It could be similar to the chips I've seen done this way.
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

Any possibility of renting the equipment for a while. That way you can be sure of what you need before you buy?
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.
OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by OceanCityGirl »

pair8head wrote:Any possibility of renting the equipment for a while. That way you can be sure of what you need before you buy?
I have much of it for the farm market. I priced fryers and they're not too much. I would need a trailer and possibly might want to beef up to a better truck but I've been thinking about doing that for my other businesses. My husband services commercial kitchen equipment and has access to used stuff. Kitchen costs and refrigeration are my biggest potential expenses. I will be attempting to find an existing restaurant to rent me some time and a corner for refrigerators. I could also barter my husbands business work. He services all commercial kitchen equip, coffee machines, hvac/r. This might be more valuable to some restaurants then rent. But making that commitment is my biggest concern/expense.
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Sounds like some cool stuff. If you are looking for jars..

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/

These guys have great prices. I'm close enough to pick up. I don't know if shipping makes the price too high or not.

Pickles sounds like a great idea, unique flavors are fun and sometimes hard to find.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
Ceol na Mara
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: "Jimmy Dreams"
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Frzn Strwbrry Daq w/real strwbrr & real cream

Post by Ceol na Mara »

Good luck! It's nice to see someone put their dreams in motion!

The farmers' markets and craft fairs by me always have a booth of Picklelicious pickles. http://www.picklelicious.com/ I can never go without picking up some full sours.

I had never had fried pickles until a year ago when a friend told me she had them on vacation somewhere (other than NJ). And then I found out Cheeseburger in Paradise serves them. That is the only place now that I've had them. I love the way they are so crunchy and then the pickle juice just bursts through!

Let me know, please, if you are at any events further north, that is, somewhat closer to Bergen County!
More wagging, less barking.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Ceol na Mara wrote:Good luck! It's nice to see someone put their dreams in motion!

The farmers' markets and craft fairs by me always have a booth of Picklelicious pickles. http://www.picklelicious.com/ I can never go without picking up some full sours.
I always thought a Farmer's Market was a way for the farmer to sell his fresh-from-the-fields produce to the public in a more convenient location than a roadside stand that may or may not see any customers. So is it just me, or does anybody else feel that allowing commercial enterprises (such as Picklelicious) into a Farmer's Market defeats the purpose? Seems to me it would be akin to allowing McDonald's to set up a cheeseburger stand at a Buffett tailgate.....
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I have visited Picklicious web site. Are they selling quarts for ten bucks? Are they busy?

Most markets Allison some artisan type food products. Some insist you are using local produce only. Our market has stuffed breads, honey, baked goods, cheeses, olives...
Mostly it's all small local companies. I would have mo chance getting into north jersey mkts because Picklicious is in nearly all of them. That makes them feel too bog for markets.
blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

I work for the NJ Department of Agriculture...