Home school/Online school for HS

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Home school/Online school for HS

Post by buffettbride »

I loathe my daughter's HS math program. We're looking at switching her to an online/home school program.

Anyone done this?

Any programs to suggest?

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Re: Home school/Online school for HS

Post by ph4ever »

Just for math or have her home schooled for everything?

If it's everything I can say just from watching my son blossom from a kid to a young man in high school that I think pulling any kid out of school in high school to home school is a mistake. The change my son went through during those 4 years was nothing but amazing and I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world. Yeah he did have some problems, and yeah there were times he wanted to quit stuff (like band one year) but he stuck them all out and I think he was the better person for it.

Besides, if you are pulling her out because you loathe the program what are you ultimately teaching her? Seems to me it would be that if you don't like something dump it, which isn't necessarily something you can do in the real world.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Number of Concerts: 30

Post by txaggirl91 »

What math program do they use Mal?

Can you get her in dual credit math classes? She earns college credit and high school credit at the same time.

Just be careful, some online groups are worse than what you have at the school.
I must be wishing on someone else's star....

MammaBear
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by MammaBear »

I applaud you for thinking outside the geometrical shape! I do believe we need to be much much more involved in selecting our kids' educational programs.

With that being said, I am not a math person so I cannot be of much (if any) help! My son and my hubby are both math people so the math/science issues were left to him!

Good luck in your decision!

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Several of our students who either can't get a particular class worked into their schedule, or who want to take something we don't offer take courses through BYU's online high school program. We have been very satisfied with that. There are other online high school programs available through some other universities too, but we have has the most experience with BYU.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Not pulling her from school altogether--just for math.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

txaggirl91 wrote:What math program do they use Mal?

Can you get her in dual credit math classes? She earns college credit and high school credit at the same time.

Just be careful, some online groups are worse than what you have at the school.
IMP :x They had CMP in middle school. It's basically math for those who have no hope in succeeding in life. Not to mention the new "writing across the curriculum" thing the district is implementing, where, instead of working more math problems, she has to write about (and get graded on her writing quality) how she solved problems.

According to the last standardized test, she writes better than most college grads. :roll:

Dual enrollment may work. There's many online programs available, but only 1-2 seem worth it.

I had a major "moment" when my second grader and high schooler basically came home with the same math worksheet.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

MammaBear wrote:I applaud you for thinking outside the geometrical shape! I do believe we need to be much much more involved in selecting our kids' educational programs.
The principal actually knows the math program sucks, but it is mucho expensive to replace an entire math program, and the dollars just aren't there. The expense of a new program (and the selection process) and re-training the teachers is just not something the school can absorb right now.

I'm just evaluating whether we are disciplined enough as a family to support a school at school schedule and a math program at home. It may not make sense...I was just SO furious yesterday when I saw her math worksheet.

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

I'm confused here.
This is High School right?
Do they not have more advanced math classes?
Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry?
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

pair8head wrote:I'm confused here.
This is High School right?
Do they not have more advanced math classes?
Algebra? Geometry? Trigonometry?
Haha. Oh no. Not that simple. IMP is "integrated math." It's not presented as Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig. It is a rotating series of IMP1, 2, 3 that incorporates all of the content (in theory) of all those three classes...but not necessarily in that order.

She doesn't need advanced math--she's not a math genius--she needs straightforward math.

OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by OceanCityGirl »

consider enrolling her in a community college class. They have traditional classes, online classes and hybrids.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

ejr wrote:Several of our students who either can't get a particular class worked into their schedule, or who want to take something we don't offer take courses through BYU's online high school program. We have been very satisfied with that. There are other online high school programs available through some other universities too, but we have has the most experience with BYU.
She'll have to take AP French online because they don't offer it at her school.

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

buffettbride wrote:
ejr wrote:Several of our students who either can't get a particular class worked into their schedule, or who want to take something we don't offer take courses through BYU's online high school program. We have been very satisfied with that. There are other online high school programs available through some other universities too, but we have has the most experience with BYU.
how the hell do you take french online?

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
I don't know, but they've never had anyone score less than a 3 on the AP French exam, so I'm going to trust the process on this one.

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

buffettbride wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
I don't know, but they've never had anyone score less than a 3 on the AP French exam, so I'm going to trust the process on this one.
having taken AP french, i can pretty much guarantee you get a 3 on the exam just for showing up......

i'd look for a business math class at a community college

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
AlbatrossFlyer wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
having taken AP french, i can pretty much guarantee you get a 3 on the exam just for showing up......

i'd look for a business math class at a community college
It's worth my $200 that I have to pay for the textbook and AP exam for her to get at least a 3 on the AP test because the equivalent class at a university is $600+.

She doesn't need business math. She needs algebra.

JollyMon66
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by JollyMon66 »

I'm not a fan of home schooling...with a large Mennonite population around here there are many families who home school so their kids are not exposed to the "sin" at school. This for us is ridiculous. Our kids learned many life lessons...good and bad...by needing to leave home and be exposed to many others. I was shocked last year when I learned that my son's school district needed to spent $500,000 per year for 50 online students...this impacted many budgets that benefited hundreds of students. Sorry for the soap box but we see no benefit teaching them outside a school based classroom. If the student has special learning needs seek some additional help. Just my opinion.
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

JollyMon66 wrote:I'm not a fan of home schooling...with a large Mennonite population around here there are many families who home school so their kids are not exposed to the "sin" at school. This for us is ridiculous. Our kids learned many life lessons...good and bad...by needing to leave home and be exposed to many others. I was shocked last year when I learned that my son's school district needed to spent $500,000 per year for 50 online students...this impacted many budgets that benefited hundreds of students. Sorry for the soap box but we see no benefit teaching them outside a school based classroom. If the student has special learning needs seek some additional help. Just my opinion.
I'm not talking home school to keep her away from sin. :lol: Just so she learns math the "real" way and can get a solid SAT score when the time comes, without digging up tons of cash for a private tutor (at $90 an hour, once per week, that's just not in the cards for us).

Her school is a *very* liberal arts school. One of her BFFs regularly comes to school in drag. :lol: Keep her away from sin. Haaa haaaa haaa haaa.

I guess what is intrinsically frustrating is that the district language arts program is not great. Most of the teachers have taken it upon themselves to enhance the curriculum. I guess I wish the math teachers would do the same, but the answer there is always "it's the district math programs so deal with it" and that just doesn't rub me the right way.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

I have always s*cked at math - always. A's and B's all through school until I hit Geometry and it was all downhill from there math grade wise. Almost a perfect English SAT, math not so much.

Guess what? For the last 25 years I've made a great living being a loan officer at a bank. I add, subtract, multiply and divide - and I have an HP calculator. Being lousy at HS math has made no difference in my life. Though I applaud you for wanting her to have the best grasp on it that she can.

Good luck!
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

JollyMon66
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by JollyMon66 »

Sorry...posting from my phone which made it hard to read the all the detail in the thread. Didn't think you had a problem with "sin" :) My revised suggestion is to push your school HARD for a solution. If this is really a liberal arts minded school you would think they are familiar with finding educational solutions for students rather than using a cookie cutter approach. Good luck :)
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...