The BB in NYC

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

The BB in NYC

Post by buffettbride »

We've been wanting to take a family trip to NYC for a long, long time. Looks like 2012 may be the year. We're trying to hone in on the best time to go.

We're looking at on/near July 4, Thanksgiving-ish (to see the parade), Xmastime (to see the tree and ice skate). But, since none of us have ever been before, when else is a good time to go? We would have to schedule it to coincide with a school break such as summer, xmas, spring break, etc. or else girl kid would get too far behind in school (boy kid can miss school with no problem).

I've also thought that going while schools are still in session might be good so we can take girl-kid to see a college or two. NYC (NYU, SUNY Purchase, Marymount) is on her short list of places to go to college.

Of course we'll do the basic touristy stuff--see a Broadway show (or several, if possible), and all the historic goodies that there is to offer.

Any good hotel/lodging suggestions? We're thinking a few nights in the city and then a few nights someplace cheaper like *gasp* New Jersey.

Anyone? Anyone?
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: The BB in NYC

Post by dnw »

I've been at Christmas time and it is very crowded, but loved seeing the Rockettes perform. Been in June and was less crowded.

Debbie
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Ditto.
Plus there is something to be said avoiding snowfall in NYC. It's just not that pretty.

I like being able to stroll through Central Park in shirtsleeves. Most of Manhattan lends itself well to foot transpo, so sunshine is a perk there. Don't be afraid of the subway. Even a hick like me can find his way around NYC by subway.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

I'm leaning toward a warmer time. June would be good.
The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by The Lost Manatee »

Warm is better and if you want to avoid crowds, go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. As for lodging, you may want to stay in New Jersey or on Long Island (Flushing, as an example) and take the train/subway/bus into Manhattan. Hotel rates can be as much as 50% cheaper and to ride into Manhattan will cost you far less. For example, taking the subway in from Flushing will run you about $10.00 round trip, per person. It's about a 30 minute ride and takes you to Time Square.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

The Lost Manatee wrote:Warm is better and if you want to avoid crowds, go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. As for lodging, you may want to stay in New Jersey or on Long Island (Flushing, as an example) and take the train/subway/bus into Manhattan. Hotel rates can be as much as 50% cheaper and to ride into Manhattan will cost you far less. For example, taking the subway in from Flushing will run you about $10.00 round trip, per person. It's about a 30 minute ride and takes you to Time Square.
That's what we're thinking for lodging, but we may stay 2 nights in the city to say we did and then the rest of the time where it's more affordable.

It would have to be spring break if we did it pre-Memorial day which may not really help us on the crowds. Early June is looking hopeful, though. Plus, girl kid has a job for the summer so I want to maximize her working time. Her job starts the 2nd week of June I think.
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

Spring and fall are my favorites, July can be stifling and there's nowhere for the heat to go , walking around could be uncomfortable. There's something about Central Park when the leaves are just opening and they're that light green. May or June would be great.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Ok. Spring weather question.

In CO we can get freakish spring blizzards. Does that happen in NY? What is the end of March like in NY?
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

There is never a bad time to go to NYC. I've been there through blizzards, ice storms, monsoons and even an occasional sunny day. I like October, April/May and of course December. We try to avoid the major tourist attractions when really crowded. We are lucky, we are close enough to do day trips, for people that stay there a few nights, the hotel expense is insane.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
JollyMon66
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by JollyMon66 »

There is NEVER a time to go to NYC that it isn't crowded :lol: Personally I would avoid the Macy Parade and New Years like the plague. Christmas time is pretty nice but if I was going for the first time I would try May. Nice spring weather...Central Park will look pretty. Nice comfortabe temps with low humidity. No fear of wintery weather then and it's a great time to take ride at to the Statue and Ellis Island. It sounds corny but try and get to the Today Show early...6:30 or so some morning. I had my son to the railing one year when he was about 10...we were on TV a few times and still have the tape.
Image Image Image
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane ...
JollyMon66

Post by JollyMon66 »

buffettbride wrote:Ok. Spring weather question.

In CO we can get freakish spring blizzards. Does that happen in NY? What is the end of March like in NY?
NYC weather is much like our eastern PA weather. March can be 75 and sunny or 35 and windy. Late March can still be damp and cool....not a big chance of a snowstorm after the end of February however. I'd shoot for Mothers Day or so...

If you are coming east...why not hit the I-95 corridor? NYC, Philly and Washington DC. If you do late April or early May you just might hit the cherry blossoms in DC. We know Philly and DC well so let me know if you want any info.
Image Image Image
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

We have talked about hitting Philly too. Not sure we would go all the way to DC but it isn't off the table. We are looking at ten days or so on vacation in early June, or whenever we can get Book of Mormon tickets.

Have to find one more show we can take the boy kid too since BoM isn't really appropriate for an 8early year old.
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

Surely there is a landfill you could visit in CO instead of Philly. Really NYC & DC great destinations, Philly, blech. Of course I'm biased, I live near the cesspool.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I won a trip to NYC back in 1998 for the NBA All-Star Game (held in February) and took my mother along, as she had always wanted to see the Statue of Liberty. Christmas was of course long gone and put away, but we walked around a little bit and saw Times Square and the ice rink at Rockefeller Center. SPOILER ALERT: that rink may look huge on TV, but it is incredibly dinky; it's actually smaller than a regulation hockey rink!

Of course, I am spoiled. Up here in Wisconsin, our city park & rec department used to flood a baseball field that covered an entire city block and turn it into an outdoor ice rink every winter. Compared to that the NYC rink looked more like someone's driveway had frozen over.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

I have done the Philly thing before but the kids haven't. Plus my favorite goat lives there, so that could be fun.

Everyone should hump the liberty bell at least once in their lives.

The thing I remember most about Philly is that it is way too easy to take the wrong bridge and end up in Cherry Hill where it is impossible to turn left and get back over the river.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

I think we have decided to avoid a major holiday and the remote possibility of a cold vacation. The tree and parade would be cool, but we will go back many times in the not so far future if girl kid ends up at college there. Plenty of chances to do that then.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Midtown hotels can be expensive. There's a Best Western down by the South Street Seaport that is quite reasonable, clean, safe, close enough to walk or catch the subway.

The Intrepid museum is pretty interesting, your son might enjoy that. If he's into space stuff there's Mars 2112 in midtown, it's like a Hard Rock Cafe but with a space theme. If you run into a rainy day you can always go to Chelsea Piers, they have indoor batting cages, bowling alley, etc.

Through my employer we get monthly discounts to various entertainment around the city, the discounts can be 25-40% off for things like Broadway shows, Lincoln Center events, Botanical Gardens, etc. The catch is that the list is only published the month before to unload unsold seats/tickets. So when you figure out when you are going let me know and I'll send you the info for that month.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

JollyMon66

Post by JollyMon66 »

Skibo wrote:Surely there is a landfill you could visit in CO instead of Philly. Really NYC & DC great destinations, Philly, blech. Of course I'm biased, I live near the cesspool.

Now Now...when you live in the nice rolling hills of small town America in Lancaster County PA you may think I would agree with you...well I kinda do :lol: BUT with that said there are a number of cool things to do in Philly for a day. Hit the Art Museum and run up the steps like Rocky. Catch a Phillies game at CBP. Visit Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Hit South Street for a real cheese steak. All things that can be accomplished in one day and night in the City of Brotherly Love. While you are there look over the river to Camden and you'll see the real cesspool that hosts a Buffett show each summer :lol: :pirate:
Image Image Image
Seas in my veins
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of a Son
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer

Post by Seas in my veins »

We were up in NYC on Tuesday. Took the girls up to the American Girl Doll Store for shopping then lunch with the dolls. Then we hit the Rockettes, great Christmas show took in Rock Center and the tree as well as skating. Then dinner at the Carniege Deli and some shopping. The city wasn't crowed , it was a nice day all around.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Seas in my veins wrote:We were up in NYC on Tuesday. Took the girls up to the American Girl Doll Store for shopping then lunch with the dolls. Then we hit the Rockettes, great Christmas show took in Rock Center and the tree as well as skating. Then dinner at the Carniege Deli and some shopping. The city wasn't crowed , it was a nice day all around.
Ooohh. Forgot about Rockettes. My girl kid is a little old for the American Girl Doll store, but the Rockettes and Carnegie Deli would be awesome.

Also I will have to do FAO, Wired store, and Lego.