Sail on, Nora Ephron

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Sail on, Nora Ephron

Post by ejr »

Nora Ephron, author (Sleepless in Seattle, etc) lost her battle with leukemia and passed away earlier tonight.

Loved her work-she will be missed!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Re: Sail on, Nora Ephron

Post by ScarletB »

Loved her - sail on funny lady.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

CindaBee
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Seltzer with lime

Post by CindaBee »

just posted elsewhere. Classy lady, leaves an amazing legacy. Sail on

dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

Sail on, Nora.

Debbie

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

Sail on Nora....your talents will be missed.

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

Sail on! We have lost too many great people this year!
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

Oh this one brings me to tears......to think that the world will never again be graced with the turn of a phrase by Nora ....I learned SO much from her. She's one of my heroes......Sail On, most beautiful Nora.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Sail on, Dear Lady.

Today will be a good movie day. I never tire of watching Nora's EXTRAS on the Julie & Julia DVD.

FunkyBunny
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Duke's on Sunday
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Vodka, wine and tequila

Post by FunkyBunny »

She was pretty young, wasn't she? Guess I could google it...
Never say no to an adventure!

Facebook
My blog - come say hi!
Twitter

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

FunkyBunny wrote:She was pretty young, wasn't she? Guess I could google it...
Nora was 71 and had battled leukemia for 7 years.

From philly.com
http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/160475745.html

Nora Ephron, humorist, film writer/director
By Carrie Rickey

For The Inquirer

Nora Ephron, the humorist, novelist, foodie, and writer/director of films including Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail and Julie & Julia, died Tuesday night in New York. She was 71. The cause was complications from acute myeloid leukemia.

A second-generation filmmaker (her parents were Desk Set scribes Henry and Phoebe Ephron), Ms. Ephron was a throwback to wisecrackers such as Anita Loos and Dorothy Parker, wits who wrapped social observations in humor. Ephron Exhibit A: "When your children are teenagers, it is important to have a dog so someone in the house is happy to see you when you get home." Ephron movies identified trends as they were happening, like the concept of the "chick flick" (see Sleepless in Seattle) and that of "high-maintenance woman" (see her script for When Harry Met Sally . . .). She was a highly sensitive cultural barometer who could, with great accuracy, measure the subtlest changes in the atmosphere.

Born in New York, raised in Beverly Hills, and educated at Wellesley, Ms. Ephron enjoyed one of the most publicly chronicled lives in American arts and letters. Her birth and infancy inspired her parents to write the screenplay Three is a Family, made into a 1944 film. Her letters from college inspired her parents' play Take Her, She's Mine, subsequently made into a 1967 film. She spun her body-image issues into comic gold with her 1972 Esquire essay, "A Few Words About Breasts." And her 1983 novel Heartburn, a thinly disguised version of her marriage and divorce from Washington Post scribe Carl Bernstein, wrung simultaneous laughter and tears. She adapted her novel to the screen for the 1986 film.

After college and an abortive stint as a White House intern during the Kennedy administration, Ephron moved to New York, where she briefly sorted envelopes in the Newsweek mail room. During the 1962-63 newspaper strike, her contributions to a satirical broadside spoofing New York Post columnists caught the eye of Post publisher Dorothy Schiff, who hired Ms. Ephron. There she profiled celebrities such as Doris Day, wrote lifestyle pieces, and broke the news that Bob Dylan had married Sarah Lownds. In 1967, she wed novelist Dan Greenburg. Their marriage ended in divorce in 1976.

When she married Bernstein that same year, she relocated to Washington and almost immediately became pregnant with Jacob, the first of their two sons. While pregnant with their second, Max, she learned that her husband was having an affair. In Heartburn, she would satirize him as a man "capable of having sex with a Venetian blind."

Apart from her sons, the most important thing she got out of the marriage was learning how to write a screenplay. She and Bernstein tried their hand at rewriting William Goldman's screenplay of All the President's Men, the book written by Bernstein and Bob Woodward. She later said that "retyping Goldman" was the best education in story and dialogue structure a screenwriter could ever have. She and Alice Arlen collaborated on the screenplay for Silkwood (1983), which won her the first of three Oscar nominations. The others were for Sleepless and When Harry Met Sally . . . . She and Bernstein divorced in 1980.

She moved back to New York, continued writing essays (collected in such books as Crazy Salad, I Feel Bad About My Neck, and I Remember Nothing). In 1987, she wed crime writer Nicholas Pileggi (WiseGuys) and commenced an original screenplay called When Harry Met Sally. . . (1989), a romantic comedy that asked the question, "Can friends be lovers?" and answered in the affirmative.

Ms. Ephron made her directorial debut in 1992 with This is My Life, her adaptation of Meg Wolitzer's novel . Wolitzer eulogized her Tuesday: "She was the best, an inspiration to so many people and a great, great friend."

Ms. Ephron took to directing like Julia Child to butter, scoring huge hits with Sleepless in Seattle (1993) and You've Got Mail (1998). The latter was the first movie about e-mail. Julie & Julia (2009), her last movie hit, parallel stories of how cookbook author Julia Child inspired blogger Julie Powell, was the first about blogging.

Many of Ms. Ephron's friends noted at the time of Julie & Julia that the loving and supportive relationship between Julia and Paul Child (Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci) strongly resembled that between Ms. Ephron and Pileggi. At the time of Ms. Ephron's death, they had been married 25 years. In that movie, Paul Child toasts his wife, "You are the butter to my bread; you are the breath to my life."

Ms. Ephron liked to joke that though she was raised Jewish, her religion was butter.

She is survived by her husband, her sons, and her sisters and frequent collaborators, Delia, Amy, and Hallie Ephron.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Ms. Ephron liked to joke that though she was raised Jewish, her religion was butter.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Dang. :-? Cancer is the lamest thing ever.

maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

Nora was one of my heroes. As I said on FB, she inspired me as a writer and has fostered my overall optimism and hope about love and life. She was a gifted writer whose words touched so many over the years. She will be greatly missed.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.

Karacal
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Diet Coke

Post by Karacal »

:cry: :cry: Sail on, Nora.......
Barbara

Image Image

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook »

"I'll have what she's having."

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Sail on, Nora. You were one of a kind, and you'll be missed. :(
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Tom Hanks' wife Rita Wilson has a CD out now. She played at Joe's Pub a few weeks ago. At the end of the show she introduced some friends who were there, Nora Ephron was one of them. I knew who she was but I didn't know what she looked like. She was 2 rows in front of me.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

She really had the touch for writing the modern urban person's mindset
with many classic parts/lines in many of her movies.

with the kind of movies coming out these days, with such ridiculous premises as our finest POTUS doubling as a vampire killer (???)
she will be truly missed... :-?

sail on...
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

Thought some would enjoy this from the SF Chronicle:

10 of Nora Ephron's best lines

Nora Ephron's characters were highly verbal and hyper-analytical. They had a head for the absurd and a heart for romance. But above all, they were funny.

To honor the writer and director, who died of the blood disorder myelodysplasia Tuesday at 71, we're devoting the Five Most space to her this week. But Ephron wrote so many classic and quotable lines, we're choosing 10 instead of five. We probably could have chosen 10 from "When Harry Met Sally ..." alone.

1. Still the funniest line from any movie Ephron wrote: from 1989's "When Harry Met Sally ...": "I'll have what she's having." It's delivered by an onlooker (director Rob Reiner's mother, Estelle Reiner) after Ryan begins a raucous fake orgasm at a packed Katz's Delicatessen after Billy Crystal insists that no woman has ever faked it with him. Crystal actually came up with the line, according to lore, but it's such a crucial piece in Ephron's canon that we have to include it.

2. Also from "When Harry Met Sally ...": In a different restaurant, before the fake orgasm scene, Ryan insists she's had great sex with a guy named Sheldon.

Crystal: "Shel? Sheldon? No, no, you did not have great sex with Sheldon."

Ryan: "I did too."

Crystal: "No, you didn't. A Sheldon can do your income taxes. If you need a root canal, Sheldon's your man. But humpin' and pumpin' is not Sheldon's strong suit. It's the name: 'Do it to me, Sheldon, you're an animal, Sheldon, ride me, big Shel-don.' Doesn't work."

3. The big New Year's Eve speech Crystal delivers to Ryan at the end of "When Harry Met Sally ...": This is vintage Ephron in a nutshell.

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

4. From 1998's "You've Got Mail," which Ephron wrote and directed: when Tom Hanks and Ryan are walking through a farmers' market ruling out the people they won't date.

Hanks: "I could never be with someone who likes Joni Mitchell. 'It's clouds' illusions I recall/ I really don't know clouds at all.' What does that mean? Is she a pilot? Is she taking flying lessons? It must be a metaphor for something, but I don't know what it is."

5. The last lines of "You've Got Mail": After all the gesturing and posturing, the sabotage and mistaken identity, they meet in Riverside Park, and each realizes who the other is.

Hanks: "Don't cry, shopgirl. Don't cry."

Ryan: "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly."

6. From 1993's "Sleepless in Seattle," which Ephron also wrote and directed: Hanks' son has called into a late-night talk radio show for him. As he explains what was so special about his late wife, Ryan is listening in her car across the country.

"Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they just meant we were supposed to be together. And I knew it. And I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car, and I knew. It was like ... magic."

7. Also from "Sleepless in Seattle": Rob Reiner explains to Hanks that dating is different now than it was the last time he was out there.

Hanks: "What is tiramisu?"

Reiner: "You'll find out."

Hanks: "Well, what is it?"

Reiner: "You'll see."

Hanks: "Some woman is gonna want me to do it to her, and I'm not gonna know what it is!"

8. From "Heartburn" (1986), directed by Mike Nichols, which Ephron wrote based on her marriage to Carl Bernstein. Meryl Streep confronts Jack Nicholson about the affair he's been having with a drawer full of telltale receipts.

"I know about you and Thelma Rice. I know everything, it's all here. You didn't even have the decency to hide the evidence, you just threw it in a drawer. Hotels, motels. You couldn't even pay cash like a normal philanderer. You charged everything. I mean look at this - flowers, look at all these flowers that you bought her! And you occasionally brought me home a bunch of wilted zinnias."

9. Also from "Heartburn": Streep and Nicholson are bickering over a chicken leg during a picnic with friends.

Streep: "You know, this is not your mother's house where you do something like that and everybody thinks it's cute."

Nicholson: "If it's not my mother's house, then why are you talking to me like I'm your kid?"

10. From 2009's "Julie & Julia," which Ephron wrote and directed: Amy Adams, as blogger Julie Powell, explains why the Julia Child cookbook has been important to her since childhood.

"When I was 8, my father's boss came to dinner, and it was a really big deal. And my mother made boeuf bourguignon. But it wasn't just boeuf bourguignon. It was Julia's boeuf bourguignon. And it was like she was there, like Julia was there in the room on our side, like some great, big, good fairy. And everything was going to be all right."

got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

I found this interesting:

Remembering Nora Ephron, Just as She Planned
By JAMES BARROn

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... lebrities/