Suggestions on going to UK, espec. London and Edinburgh

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Suggestions on going to UK, espec. London and Edinburgh

Post by buffettbride »

We are going to London and Edinburgh in August. We are going mostly to see my daughter perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but are taking our son (9) with us and will connect with my daughter's theatre group at points along their trip. Mostly it will be my husband, our son, and me doing touristy stuff. We anticipate spending about 4 days in London, 3 days in Edinburgh and 3 more doing whatever between London and Edinburgh.

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions on:
- Where to stay in London that is good for families, affordable, and easy to use the subway
- The best way to travel from London to Edinburgh (should we rent a car or use the train)
- Must-see things either in London or on our way from London to Edinburgh
- Things we can skip (we have already decided not to do Stonehenge because what good is a bunch of rocks if you can't climb on them)

Also (and this may be bizarre), but how common are coeliac / gluten-free menus in those parts? My initial research indicates gluten-free won't be a problem there, but hoping someone might have actual experience with this there.
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Re: Suggestions on going to UK, espec. London and Edinburgh

Post by aeroparrot »

buffettbride wrote:We are going to London and Edinburgh in August. We are going mostly to see my daughter perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but are taking our son (9) with us and will connect with my daughter's theatre group at points along their trip. Mostly it will be my husband, our son, and me doing touristy stuff. We anticipate spending about 4 days in London, 3 days in Edinburgh and 3 more doing whatever between London and Edinburgh.

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions on:
- Where to stay in London that is good for families, affordable, and easy to use the subway
- The best way to travel from London to Edinburgh (should we rent a car or use the train)
- Must-see things either in London or on our way from London to Edinburgh
- Things we can skip (we have already decided not to do Stonehenge because what good is a bunch of rocks if you can't climb on them)

Also (and this may be bizarre), but how common are coeliac / gluten-free menus in those parts? My initial research indicates gluten-free won't be a problem there, but hoping someone might have actual experience with this there.
Check the British Airways web site. They may have deals where you get a discount on hotels with a free night sometimes. We stayed at one of the Thistle Hotels near Victoria Station. Was pretty good for the value but can't remember the price though.

Probably cheaper to fly between London and Edinburgh, again check the British Airway site to see if they have deals with the train system too.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Didn't even think of flying between cities. That might be brilliant considering how badly I want to go to Liverpool and that could give us a whole extra day.

British airways has great flights, but all my miles are with United...
spark26981
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by spark26981 »

Don't have any suggestions on where to stay in London...anytime I went I stayed with my uncle.

For traveling, if you are looking to sight-see then definitely rent a car...the UK isn't that big so I don't think you would save much time by flying.

Must-see's differ based on what you guys are in to...but for me I would say in London you have to see the Palace, Parliament, Tower of London, Globe Theatre, the Whispering Gallery at St. Paul's Cathedral. Skip Madame Tussauds and Harrods.

You can also take the train to Greenwich if you are a Naval buff (Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum and Sir Christopher Wren’s Old Royal Naval College) and the Greenwich Meridien.

Travelling North of the city, there is Oxford with the Colleges and Blenheim Palace.

Nottingham Castle and the Forest would also probably be pretty darn cool for a 9 year old boy.

A lot of the beauty of the country can be seen by traveling off the beaten path as you travel further North. I would take a sidetrip through the Lake District as you head up, passing through cute little towns and definitely stopping off at some local pubs.

When you cross the border into Scotland, I would suggest heading West and travel up the scenic West Coast. Visit the hometown of the Scottish Bard Rabbie Burns...and you could even visit the ruined castle my wife and I got married in ;). There is also Culzean castle (Eisenhower stayed there several times).

Around Edinburgh you are close to the Lochs and Highlands both of which are best enjoyed on leisurely drives. If you enjoy a dram, there is the Scottish Malt Whisky Trail through Speyside.

A day can be spent in Edinburgh on just the Royal Mile and Princes Street. A great (but not cheap) place to eat is just steps outside Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery...ask to be seated in the Secret Garden.

That's everything I can think of for now...I grew up in a town close to Glasgow and Edinburgh...you definitely don't want to visit there!
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

spark26981 wrote:Don't have any suggestions on where to stay in London...anytime I went I stayed with my uncle.

For traveling, if you are looking to sight-see then definitely rent a car...the UK isn't that big so I don't think you would save much time by flying.

Must-see's differ based on what you guys are in to...but for me I would say in London you have to see the Palace, Parliament, Tower of London, Globe Theatre, the Whispering Gallery at St. Paul's Cathedral. Skip Madame Tussauds and Harrods.

You can also take the train to Greenwich if you are a Naval buff (Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum and Sir Christopher Wren’s Old Royal Naval College) and the Greenwich Meridien.

Travelling North of the city, there is Oxford with the Colleges and Blenheim Palace.

Nottingham Castle and the Forest would also probably be pretty darn cool for a 9 year old boy.

A lot of the beauty of the country can be seen by traveling off the beaten path as you travel further North. I would take a sidetrip through the Lake District as you head up, passing through cute little towns and definitely stopping off at some local pubs.

When you cross the border into Scotland, I would suggest heading West and travel up the scenic West Coast. Visit the hometown of the Scottish Bard Rabbie Burns...and you could even visit the ruined castle my wife and I got married in ;). There is also Culzean castle (Eisenhower stayed there several times).

Around Edinburgh you are close to the Lochs and Highlands both of which are best enjoyed on leisurely drives. If you enjoy a dram, there is the Scottish Malt Whisky Trail through Speyside.

A day can be spent in Edinburgh on just the Royal Mile and Princes Street. A great (but not cheap) place to eat is just steps outside Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery...ask to be seated in the Secret Garden.

That's everything I can think of for now...I grew up in a town close to Glasgow and Edinburgh...you definitely don't want to visit there!
Holy cow! Thanks! Those are all great suggestions.

We are definitely doing the Globe (seeing a perf. there with my daughter's theatre group). She is super into Shakespeare, so that is a can't miss. Also St. Paul's. When hubby went 12 years ago, he said that was one of the coolest stops.

We also picked Nottingham for the cool factor for boy kid.

We are also doing the Royal Mile (my daughter is doing street performing there during the Fringe Festival). If I get any free time with her, she wants to check out some universities there because she wants to study abroad.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

buffettbride wrote:Didn't even think of flying between cities. That might be brilliant considering how badly I want to go to Liverpool and that could give us a whole extra day.

British airways has great flights, but all my miles are with United...
I think we'll take train from London to Liverpool and spend 1-2 days there before heading up to Edinburgh, depending on when girl kid performs.
Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

Can you pack me in your suitcase? Been dying to go to Scotland since I read my first Nancy Drew book as a wee lassie. I need to get there in the next 18 months...before the friend who offered me a free place to stay on her farm moves to China to work with Pandas. :P
Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

In London, you can go to the London Eye which is a big ferris wheel. Also, I'm sure there are some Harry Potter type tours if that interests you. The financial district has this covered area that was used in the movies (diagon alley maybe) and that's kind of neat. There is more I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Get in touch with no shoes (Roxane), she will be happy to answer all your questions. :D

Debbie
Grams
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Grams »

I agree Roxanne will be a weath of information.. Oh my goodness Victoria has all grown up hasn't she?? That is unbelieveable!! Hugs all around!! :P
jimsig
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by jimsig »

Be sure to check out Trip Advisors London Forum (TALF) for some great info. Not sure if they still do it but they used to do a pub meet now and then. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1 ... gland.html

Check out this previous thread to from BN viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59228&start=0
Jim
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

Message from Conniemom:

Mal, you guys have to do this.............

end message:
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

pair8head wrote:Message from Conniemom:

Mal, you guys have to do this.............

end message:

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Debbie
no shoes
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom gowns
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Earl Grey :-)

Post by no shoes »

Hello there, just seen this. Lots to add but I need to think it through.

I would disagree with the suggestion of driving. I never recommend it to visitors from across the pond. I know of so many dreadful accidents when drivers are not used to roundabouts and driving on the left. Whilst not the cheapest option I would be tempted to fly one way (check out Easyjet) and then take the train on the return.
As for 2 days in Liverpool, not sure about that, there are other much nicer places to visit.

My recommendations would be Oxford, York and either Bath,the Lake District, or the Cotswolds. Remember August is one of the busiest months to visit.

More to follow :-)
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Hi, Roxane! xo

Mal, I'm happy for you and your family getting to travel like that together.

I am really enjoying this thread...lots to ponder.
Yorkshire Parrothead
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Yorkshire Parrothead »

I agree with Roxane the places she has mentioned are perfect. My suggestion would be York - mind you I would suggest that seeing I am from Yorkshire. The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful. If you take the train from London and go at the right side of England then it will stop at York and then carry on and stop at Edinburgh. When you are in Edinburgh some places to visit are the castle it is very interesting, the Royal Yacht Britannia just a short bus ride out of Edinburgh at Leith and Edinburgh zoo that now has the Pandas.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

(((Margaret))), good to see your ideas too.

Someday I will...
no shoes
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom gowns
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Earl Grey :-)

Post by no shoes »

Stratford on Avon!

If you are a theatre buff the town and a performance at RSC are a must do.

More thoughts to follow :-)
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

http://www.viator.com/Edinburgh-attract ... d739-a3573

http://voices.yahoo.com/ride-harry-pott ... 36502.html

"Scotland’s legendary West Highland Line is dubbed the Hogwarts Express. . . the historic steam train is called The Jacobite and runs from Fort William to Mallaig, essential destinations if you’re touring Scotland’s West Coast"
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

What about the Abby Road thing Mal?
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.