supplemental Medicare insurance?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

supplemental Medicare insurance?

Post by ragtopW »

most of you know I am the only kid left that lives near my Mom and Dad.

they are looking for a new carrier. seems one isn't good for hospital visits, and another isn't good with the Meds.

anyone have a carrier? (or your parents have a carrier) :)
I think they had Humana (not good for the Hospital stays)
and AARP (not good for the meds) as I understand things from my Father

any help would be nice
thanks

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Re: supplemental Medicare insurance?

Post by springparrot »

I don't have a clue, but if you get it figured out, please let us know.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

My father has United Health Care as his supplemental insurance. It's through AARP and the premium is $239/month. He also has his prescription plan through AARP and he gets pretty good coverage. The premium for that is, believe it or not, $0.48/month. It must vary state to state because when I called to have the mailing address changed after I moved out of NY they had to verify that my father was still a NY resident in order for him to remain in the plan.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

LIPH wrote:My father has United Health Care as his supplemental insurance. It's through AARP and the premium is $239/month. He also has his prescription plan through AARP and he gets pretty good coverage. The premium for that is, believe it or not, $0.48/month. It must vary state to state because when I called to have the mailing address changed after I moved out of NY they had to verify that my father was still a NY resident in order for him to remain in the plan.
thanks Larry; it may be a state to state thing

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

springparrot wrote:I don't have a clue, but if you get it figured out, please let us know.

Molly I will do. but if I find that I understand it, I may have to change careers :)

springparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by springparrot »

ragtopW wrote:
springparrot wrote:I don't have a clue, but if you get it figured out, please let us know.

Molly I will do. but if I find that I understand it, I may have to change careers :)
(((Wayne)))

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I wish they had one place (website) you could go to and compare ALL choices for supplemental medicare insurance. We will be going through this in a few years. I guess a lot of time and research is needed. AARP sounds like a good way to go for one of the parts. Another easy way is to win a super lottery and not have to worry about stuff like this. :evil:

*sigh* :roll:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

pirate676
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by pirate676 »

As far as supplemental plans go, Plans F & G are the most comprehensive. If you want a list of ALL plans in your state, the Department of Insurance should have it. A Plan F is a Plan F no matter who sells it. The price difference is usually due to commission for agents.

Unless you are turning 65, or recently retired and had group coverage you are NOT guaranteed issue and will have to go through underwriting.

As far as the prescription plan (Part D) There is no right plan for everyone and it would be rare that the same company where you get your supplement from is where you have your Part D.

Plan D is easy to shop for. Go to medicare.gov website and click on find a plan. You would need medicare card number, prescriptions, dosage and pharmacy at it will tell you which plan is cheapest for you.

pirate676
I have found me a home

Post by pirate676 »

As far as supplemental plans go, Plans F & G are the most comprehensive. If you want a list of ALL plans in your state, the Department of Insurance should have it. A Plan F is a Plan F no matter who sells it. The price difference is usually due to commission for agents.

Unless you are turning 65, or recently retired and had group coverage you are NOT guaranteed issue and will have to go through underwriting.

As far as the prescription plan (Part D) There is no right plan for everyone and it would be rare that the same company where you get your supplement from is where you have your Part D.

Plan D is easy to shop for. Go to medicare.gov website and click on find a plan. You would need medicare card number, prescriptions, dosage and pharmacy at it will tell you which plan is cheapest for you.

springparrot
Last Man Standing

Post by springparrot »

Thank you 676

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

springparrot wrote:Thank you 676
x 2 Thanks!! I will have to get their info

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I've had the displeasure of figuring out my stepdad's healthcare plans this week. Last week he went into the hospital with complete renal failure. He's more stable, but will require several weeks (in a skilled nursing facility) for rehab and dressing/catheter changes.

Anyway...he has Tricare for Life, which may only be available to military/retired military. It's pretty good, though. My stepdad didn't have any complaints about it.

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

buffettbride wrote:I've had the displeasure of figuring out my stepdad's healthcare plans this week. Last week he went into the hospital with complete renal failure. He's more stable, but will require several weeks (in a skilled nursing facility) for rehab and dressing/catheter changes.

Anyway...he has Tricare for Life, which may only be available to military/retired military. It's pretty good, though. My stepdad didn't have any complaints about it.
thanks