For Cruise Veterans

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ToplessRideFL »

rednekkPH wrote: We'll be on Royal Carribean's Grandeur of the Seas. The only stop is Cozumel. Neither of us are really sure we'll dig the cruise scene, so this will be a nice short, relatively cheap test.
When are you going? COzumel is gettin pretty hammered today :o
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

ToplessRideFL wrote:
rednekkPH wrote: We'll be on Royal Carribean's Grandeur of the Seas. The only stop is Cozumel. Neither of us are really sure we'll dig the cruise scene, so this will be a nice short, relatively cheap test.
When are you going? COzumel is gettin pretty hammered today :o
Are you just trying to be a Richard and rain on his parade? :lol: :lol:

joe_pyrat
I have found me a home

Re: For Cruise Veterans

Post by joe_pyrat »

rednekkPH wrote:Do they search your luggage before boarding? Was just curious if it was possible to sneak a few bottles of booze (and maybe a blender) on board.
Ok, if you want to be a contrabandista, here's what you do.

Get some shrink bands (http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... stom&ID=36). Next find a bottle that has something roughly the color of what you want to smuggle (like a Listerine bottle) or a bottle you can't see through very well. Fill up the bottle and put the shrink band on it so it looks like it hasn't been open.

Welcome to the Caribbean! :pirate:
Joe Pyrat

ImageImage

On The Edge
Gypsies in the palace

Post by On The Edge »

rednekkPH wrote:
SuperTrooper wrote: what line & ship will you be on and where are you stopping???
We'll be on Royal Carribean's Grandeur of the Seas. The only stop is Cozumel. Neither of us are really sure we'll dig the cruise scene, so this will be a nice short, relatively cheap test.
Hey Rednekk, Royal Carribean - no problem, you can carry it on in your carry on luggage. We took our liquor on Royal Carribean several times. One time we had it in a shopping bag filled with soda, Rum and some snacks. Royal Carribean is cool about it. They even sell a soda pass, that let's you buy unlimited soda on ship at a package deal. Saves time and money on room charges. We would get a soda and mix our own drinks in our room. We left the open bottles on the desk in the room, and no one cared. Have fun, the granduer looks like a great ship. We've been on about three of their ships, the Voyager was huge, but one of our favorites. Too bad you don't have more time.

creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

I have not been on a cruise in years - but if they do not allow carry on - and are xraying/scanning checked baggage these days because of terrorism - I do know that whenever I have had foodstuffs etc, in my checked luggage - it always has to be checked thoroughly - the foodstuffs apparently could be mistaken for explosives (was the explanations I was given). Not sure if liquid would be the same - I would just carry it on - dont you get duty free to buy beforehand anyway?

On The Edge
Gypsies in the palace

Post by On The Edge »

creeky wrote:I have not been on a cruise in years - but if they do not allow carry on - and are xraying/scanning checked baggage these days because of terrorism - I do know that whenever I have had foodstuffs etc, in my checked luggage - it always has to be checked thoroughly - the foodstuffs apparently could be mistaken for explosives (was the explanations I was given). Not sure if liquid would be the same - I would just carry it on - dont you get duty free to buy beforehand anyway?
No, when you buy duty free on board they hold it for you until you reach your home port of debarkation. I know Carnival Cruises will confiscate any liquor you bring on and hold it for you until your port of debarkation. I also know from experience that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (sister companies - virtually the same cruise line) have never stopped or frowned on me bringing my own booze. RC and Celebrity also let you bring any duty free liquor you by off board back to your room with you, they do not hold it like Carnival, The only thing RC and Celebrity will hold is what you buy on ship.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

joe_pyrat wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:Do they search your luggage before boarding? Was just curious if it was possible to sneak a few bottles of booze (and maybe a blender) on board.
Ok, if you want to be a contrabandista, here's what you do.

Get some shrink bands (http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... stom&ID=36). Next find a bottle that has something roughly the color of what you want to smuggle (like a Listerine bottle) or a bottle you can't see through very well. Fill up the bottle and put the shrink band on it so it looks like it hasn't been open.

Welcome to the Caribbean! :pirate:
Also:
Vodka + green food coloring = Scope
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."

creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

On The Edge wrote:
creeky wrote:I have not been on a cruise in years - but if they do not allow carry on - and are xraying/scanning checked baggage these days because of terrorism - I do know that whenever I have had foodstuffs etc, in my checked luggage - it always has to be checked thoroughly - the foodstuffs apparently could be mistaken for explosives (was the explanations I was given). Not sure if liquid would be the same - I would just carry it on - dont you get duty free to buy beforehand anyway?
No, when you buy duty free on board they hold it for you until you reach your home port of debarkation. I know Carnival Cruises will confiscate any liquor you bring on and hold it for you until your port of debarkation. I also know from experience that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (sister companies - virtually the same cruise line) have never stopped or frowned on me bringing my own booze. RC and Celebrity also let you bring any duty free liquor you by off board back to your room with you, they do not hold it like Carnival, The only thing RC and Celebrity will hold is what you buy on ship.
Come cruise Fiji etc then - you can drink your duty free the minute the ship leaves Sydney Harbour - all drinks on board are duty free for the entire cruise ...........

Seems weird you cannot have it till you leave.....

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

rednekkPH wrote:
SuperTrooper wrote: what line & ship will you be on and where are you stopping???
We'll be on Royal Carribean's Grandeur of the Seas. The only stop is Cozumel. Neither of us are really sure we'll dig the cruise scene, so this will be a nice short, relatively cheap test.
Our last cruise was seven days on the Grandeur Of The seas
Great ship and we had a blast!!!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

rednekkPH

Post by rednekkPH »

bravedave wrote: Also:
Oh, you're beautiful!!!

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

Does Cozumel still exist?? :o

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

rednekkPH wrote:
bravedave wrote: Also:
Oh, you're beautiful!!!
Lisa! Shut up and leave me alone or I'll hit you in the eye again!
j/k

Floridaze
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 51
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by Floridaze »

That's too funny...we have been cruising for years and have brought a blender on several of them. On one cruise we had a Jamaican cabin steward and for a few bucks and some free rum drinks, he kept us stocked with fresh fruit for the entire cruise. People would walk by and hear the blender going and stop in for a drink….have fun!!!
"I'm back to living Floridays,
Blue skies and ultraviolet rays,
Looking for better days"

Crzy
I Love the Now!

Post by Crzy »

Just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise... if you carry it on it will be confiscated.. I have a rollong cooler (soft side) that I packed with mixers and several bottles of liquor... wrapped everything in towels to keep it from breaking and CHECKED the bag.... got thru with no problems... then had the room steward keep the ice inthe cooler fresh! worked like a charm! 8)

Corona15
Southeast of disorder

Post by Corona15 »

We went this past April on a Carnival cruise and had probable 20 mini bottles in our suitcases. Nobody said a thing. We also met some people who snuck a case or 2 of beer in their luggage and nothing happened. Go For It!!
"But now I think about the good times.....Down in the Caribbean Sunshine"

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

SuperTrooper wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
jimsig wrote:You may want to transfer the liquor into another container. Preferably plastic like a cleaned out bottle of mouthwash.
Excellent idea! Hell, Listerine and tequila are even roughly the same color. Now to figure out the Triple sec and Roses. Thanks.
Just remember to seal the bottles in resealable plastic baggies. The lower pressure in the plane at altitude can cause them to leak.

what line & ship will you be on and where are you stopping???
More specificly, the lower pressure outside the bottle causes the trapped higher pressure inside the bottle to push out the liquid. The easy way to avoid this is to use a plastic bottle that is only 3/4 to 4/5 full and then squeeze the bottle to remove the excess air at the top and screw down the lid. Liquid is more or less a non-compressable, air on the other hand compresses quite easily....get rid of the air, get rid of the pressure problem (or at leas give it room to expand into......)

A Nalgene bottle works great....... or an old Dasani bottle in a pinch....
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....

SuperTrooper
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Hawaii

Post by SuperTrooper »

rednekkPH wrote:
Hey, that was our ship! We had a great time!

rednekkPH

Post by rednekkPH »

SuperTrooper wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
Good to know. Any tips on must-see/do or things to avoid?

CTParrothead763
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by CTParrothead763 »

rednekkPH wrote:
SuperTrooper wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:

If you are into snorkeling, go to Chankanaab (spelling?) State Park. Easy taxi ride from the ships. You can rent gear right on the beach (if the beach still exists after the hurricane). The snorkeling was about the best I've seen on the cruise ship stops.

SuperTrooper
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Hawaii

Post by SuperTrooper »

rednekkPH wrote:
SuperTrooper wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
We had a different itinerary since it was a repositioning cruise:

San Juan
St. Thomas
St. Maarten
Tortola
Nassua (was supposed to be RC's private island - too windy)
Maimi

I had no problems with the ship/crew. I love the rugs in the elevators that tell you what day it is. The ship was starting to look a little rough around the edges in April, 2001, so I wonder if RC has spruced it up since then. Probably unlikely since it's been moved to the shorter cruises. :-?

I don't know how badly Cozumel fared from hurricanes this year, but don't be surprised if you wind up someplace else WITH NO NOTICE.

Oh yeah, if you want a lounger around the main pool you have to get out there early since there never seem to be enough during the day.

When do you leave?