Scuba, Marathon Key??

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

OttoCal
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 11

Scuba, Marathon Key??

Post by OttoCal »

Hi, we'll be on Duck Key for a few days in mid- January. Any suggestions for a scuba company that you like or should be avoided?

Other Middle Key tips appreciated, too! We will be staying at a house with some family friends, and mostly just hope to enjoy the sunshine! :lol:
Floridaze
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by Floridaze »

We have dove with Bud and Mary's marina in Islamorada...right around MM80. We have also rented our own boat from a couple of different places. Alligator Reef in near Islamorada and Sombrero Light and Reef is off of Marathon. Think you are kind of in the middle.

Great food and key Lime Pie at the Wreck on Grassy Key. Herbies is fun in Marathon....cracked conch.

Hungry Tarpon for breakfast and feed the Tarpons at Robbies afterwards...MM77.

Long Key State Park has a nice nature trail.

Grab some Stone Crab Claws from Captain's 3 seafood in marathon and start cracking...jsut got back and had a blast.

Have fun!!!!
"I'm back to living Floridays,
Blue skies and ultraviolet rays,
Looking for better days"
chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by chalksoperations »

One of my favorite places recently has been Keys Fishery in Marathon. Heading south, take a right at 35th street...if you pas the Fl State Trooper building, you've just missed your turn. It's at the end of the road, only about 500ft once you turn off Rt 1. Great lobster bisque sammich. If you bring the kids, for 25 cents you can get a handful of tarpon chum from one of the machines along the dock.

They also have a little fish market there too, just follow the signs to the bathrooms (marked 2P with an arrow).

If interested, you might also want to take the time to walk out to Pidgeon Key on the old bridge. Recent county meetings have been leaning towards closing the section due to the amount of money required to keep in in serviceable condition for traffic. Talk around town is that it could be closed soon and accesible only by ferry (bids have already been posted for a potential contractor).

Sombrero Beach is kind of an unmentioned gem of a park that Marathon has to offer. The turn off is right at MM50. The road sign has been missing since the hurricanes last year, but basically turn left betwee Bank of America and Publix. Go past the High School and it will be up on your left. Nice place to relax and kill some time with a great view.

As far as dive operators, Marathon really isn't a huge dive center. For diving, head up the road a bit about 20-30 MM. Reef diving is much better up the road a few clicks.
OttoCal
I Love the Now!

Post by OttoCal »

Thanks for the tips!

I'm sure we'll have a great time. It will just be nice to get out of the snow & cold. Although we are in the midst of some weird heat wave up here now, it is 45 degrees and supposed to go up to the mid-50s today. Not quite a normal NY December!

OC
Floridaze
Hoot!

Post by Floridaze »

I just spent 5 days there and I am ready to go back...where ya from in Upstate NY?
Looking for better days"
OttoCal
I Love the Now!

Post by OttoCal »

Floridaze wrote:I just spent 5 days there and I am ready to go back...where ya from in Upstate NY?
Ithaca- sort of in the middle.

1 hour south of Syracuse. And 30 minutes south of the lake-effect snow belt. Woo-hoo!!
Floridaze
Hoot!

Post by Floridaze »

I've got a good friend from a little town called Keesville...way up near the border..beautiful place...but he decided it was a little warmer here in Florida and has lived here for years...enjoy the keys...try a couple of those restaurants if you get the chance...
Looking for better days"
SailorDan
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SailorDan »

John Pennecamp is up north in the keys but the scuba diving can be fun. www.pennekamppark.com. Pick up a map there are loads of wrecks to dive on and some nice reefs almost straight out from Duck Key. I have a place one key down in Grassy Key. Have fun.
p.s. Im from Rochester, NY...but livin in Boise,Idaho now!!
Image Met up with a CHUM with a bottle of RUM... and wound up drinkin all night!
OttoCal
I Love the Now!

Post by OttoCal »

SailorDan wrote:John Pennecamp is up north in the keys but the scuba diving can be fun. www.pennekamppark.com. Pick up a map there are loads of wrecks to dive on and some nice reefs almost straight out from Duck Key. I have a place one key down in Grassy Key. Have fun.
p.s. Im from Rochester, NY...but livin in Boise,Idaho now!!
Ah, Rochester, where they pronounce bagels BAGels :P :lol:

Thanks for the tip! I have an uncle who lives in Boise, but I have never been to visit. Sounds like a nice place!

OC