Key West Airport

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Key West Airport

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Just got back from Key West and I am greatly saddened to learn that one of the greatest little airports left in this country is being replaced by a new, larger, ugly, sterile buiding that is as much an eye sore as the ring of condos surrounding the island. I bet the new airport will not even have a "Welcome to the Conch Republic" gretting painted on the back of terminal.

I love that little airport. Cheap beer at the bar inside and then two minutes through security - - - you can even hang out at Smather's Beach right up to about 20 minutes before you take off if you like. I know the new place will be much more a hassle . . . sad, sad, sad.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Re: Key West Airport

Post by RinglingRingling »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Just got back from Key West and I am greatly saddened to learn that one of the greatest little airports left in this country is being replaced by a new, larger, ugly, sterile buiding that is as much an eye sore as the ring of condos surrounding the island. I bet the new airport will not even have a "Welcome to the Conch Republic" gretting painted on the back of terminal.

I love that little airport. Cheap beer at the bar inside and then two minutes through security - - - you can even hang out at Smather's Beach right up to about 20 minutes before you take off if you like. I know the new place will be much more a hassle . . . sad, sad, sad.
when are they tearing down the old terminal?

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

RinglingRingling wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Just got back from Key West and I am greatly saddened to learn that one of the greatest little airports left in this country is being replaced by a new, larger, ugly, sterile buiding that is as much an eye sore as the ring of condos surrounding the island. I bet the new airport will not even have a "Welcome to the Conch Republic" gretting painted on the back of terminal.

Not sure. Most of the guys I spoke to just said it was a goner. The new building might be nice for those who live on Key West and travel for whatever reason out of there alot but it really looks out of place - doesn;t have that KW feel; know what I mean? There was also a ton of construction on Atlantic by Smathers and it looked like another big apartment complex or condo yard was going up. s***! Every square inch of that beautiful island is being bulldozed . . . nothing new, I guess.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

Not sure. Most of the guys I spoke to just said it was a goner. The new building might be nice for those who live on Key West and travel for whatever reason out of there alot but it really looks out of place - doesn;t have that KW feel; know what I mean? There was also a ton of construction on Atlantic by Smathers and it looked like another big apartment complex or condo yard was going up. s***! Every square inch of that beautiful island is being bulldozed . . . nothing new, I guess.
you'd think they'd go for an updated Deco look. Better features, but still the same feel. Morons.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I was SO looking forward to getting off the plane for MOTM and seeing that sign again. DAMN - I can see needing a more updated facility but maybe smarter heads will prevail and they'll try to keep the flavor of it. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

:evil: WHAT ?????????? :evil:

What IDIOTS !!! NUMBNUTS !!! STUPID FISHES (DUMB BASSES) !!!

The best Bloody Mary's in the world are served there. Why would they do this when that airport is so charming ? [smilie=hate.gif] [smilie=p***.gif]
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

ScarletB wrote:

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I was SO looking forward to getting off the plane for MOTM and seeing that sign again. DAMN - I can see needing a more updated facility but maybe smarter heads will prevail and they'll try to keep the flavor of it. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!

I am sure it will still be there for MOTM. But it is doomed. Sad to say. I agree on the bloody marys - - - many a hangover cured at that little bar.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
ScarletB wrote:

I am sure it will still be there for MOTM. But it is doomed. Sad to say. I agree on the bloody marys - - - many a hangover cured at that little bar.
Maybe those of us going to MOTM should make a special pilgramage during that time then. :(
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28

chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace

Post by chalksoperations »

Not sure what the deal is about the new terminal. I'm with Gulfstream Airlines now, and we are in and out of there daily and nobody I know seems to know anything about this at all.

Could be a nasty rumour. Traditionally, if there are large construction projects pending either on the ramp or in the building, word would be put out well ahead of time in order to plan our operation around it.

I'll keep my ear to the ground though.

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Post by Elrod »

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

Elrod wrote:From the Monroe County website: http://monroecofl.virtualtownhall.net/P ... /I00C092BD

:(
Well, looks like it will be ruine...ah "finished" by MOTM or just about so.
FOOEY
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

chalksoperations wrote:Not sure what the deal is about the new terminal. I'm with Gulfstream Airlines now, and we are in and out of there daily and nobody I know seems to know anything about this at all.

Could be a nasty rumour. Traditionally, if there are large construction projects pending either on the ramp or in the building, word would be put out well ahead of time in order to plan our operation around it.

I'll keep my ear to the ground though.
Um, how can you be in and out of KW and not know about the huge, new eye sore they are building right next to the old terminal? It is rather big.

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Phins1026
Here We Are

Post by Phins1026 »

I think now that the contractor and the city have come to an agreement it is scheduled to be done around April 2008 or close to that. I had read that there were some stop work orders by the city for some reason and the contractor ignored them I think. I had breakfast and beverage in the restaurant there waiting for a flight in November. Didn't sound like anyone was to thrilled with the idea of relocating to a new building. :( :(

chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace

Post by chalksoperations »

I haven't made any of the EYW routes in a couple of months. I phoned my station personnel last night when I was done to ask them if they knew anything about it, and I got the verbal equivalent to a shoulder shrug.

You have to think of the initial reaction to the plans to clear land for an airport in the first place.