Key West Sailing?

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Key West Sailing?

Post by drunkpirate66 »

A bunch of pholk have discussed drinking at bars in Key West . . . roads to walk down . . . tours that cost too much money . . . hotels . . . inns . . . motels . . . where to get laid . . . where to eat cheap . . . where to eat expensive . . . sunset stuff . . . where Jimmy Buffett puked after a night of acid, pot, and beer . . . BUT

Has anyone actually sailed Key West waters . . .

I know a few have mentioned it. But I would really like to know if anyone goes or has lived in Key West and has actually gone out on the water for more than a day trip without a guide and experienced life as it should be?

Where did you go? What kind of boat? How long? Did you hit Cuban waters? If so, did you get excited for no reason like I did? :wink: :P

Stories? I got mine! Would love to hear yours. Key West is more than shoe stores on Duval and bars with beer priced so high you would (or I would) need a fortune to get buzzed . . .

Bimini was my favorite short jaunt. And I did the run to Mexico . . . which was the height of my stupidity.

Please share. There is still life beyond the tour boats and "trains" of Key West . . . I know it!
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by chalksoperations »

Spent my share of time on the water while stationed in Boca Chica. Back then, the base marina used to be at the sub pier, before the marina was built on base and relocated. We had a nice close group of people out there. Quite alot of memories on trips out to the Marquesas. One memorable time was a group of us out in two boats, mine a 32' Catalina and the other a 40' Jeanneau. We had planned on a day long outing a bit north into the backcountry, by Caya Agua. Between the two boats I believe we must have had 18 or so people, all ready with snorkel gear and necessary provisions. We made way out of Truman Annex, past the cruise ship pier. The groups of people on Mallory were either early risers out for a walk or leftovers from the night before trying to find their way home. Back then Key West Bight looked completely different than today, but the market and the Half Shell were always a landmark. From there, Caya Agua was a NNE heading.
We had many days like that, heading out to a remote reef and cooking up some wings, snorkeling...much fun.
Bimini...yes, heading out to Bimini has been a regular trip for me for a long time. Made many friends out there over the years, where I earned the nickname Conch Man (my handle on "another" board). Made a few bucks on the side bringing out a wide range of requests for friends in exchange for fresh Conch or a day on the flats chasing Bonefish with Bonefish Sam, one of the best flats guides ever known. Unfortunately Sam passed away recently and will live on in legend for hopefully a long long time.
The last 2 years have been and adventure home schooling my daughter. She has spent her fair share of time out reef diving, taking water samples and eyeballing them under a microscope back at the house. Got to a point where we just kept a microscope on the boat after a while. She changes classrooms at quite a young age, but instead her classrooms are called The Everglades, Biscayne Bay, Gulfstream, The Reef, Backcountry flats with her cafeteria among many of the eateries along the Keys.
Lucky girl.
There's a couple of stories, there are more-but those are what my fingers tapped out for now.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

wow! thanks for that . . . so cool!

As I mentioned above, myself and like 16 other idiots 8) :D :wink: made the run down to Yucatan. Fun. Scary. Stupid. But an amazing oppurtunity so I took it. I was amazed when we got there and more amazed when we got back to Florida - only 24 miles north of our target point . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

good times.

drunkpirate66

Post by drunkpirate66 »

so I guess that there aren't many people who enjoy time on the water off of Key West . . . I thought people around here would jump on the chance to swap a sailing story to two. oh well. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

diverg
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of Son of A Sailor
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by diverg »

drunkpirate66 wrote:wow! thanks for that . . . so cool!

As I mentioned above, myself and like 16 other idiots 8) :D :wink: made the run down to Yucatan. Fun. Scary. Stupid. But an amazing oppurtunity so I took it. I was amazed when we got there and more amazed when we got back to Florida - only 24 miles north of our target point . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

good times.
I'm not a sailor so I have no sailing stories for you, but I would love to learn how to sailone day.

Could you give us some details about your adventure to the Yucatan?