Tropical Island Tuesday

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

diverg
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Son of Son of A Sailor
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Tropical Island Tuesday

Post by diverg »

Marcus I thought i would start the thread this week.

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

Greg....thanks! I was at the dentist today.......

SO....I see we're visitin' Midway!!! Home of the Lone Star Bar!!!!

:D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

not even a decent skateboard run on the smaller island. those runways look pretty shot when you really zoom in.
CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

I'm wondering why both of those little islands have runways. I bet it has a military history.
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home
diverg
Lester Polyester

Post by diverg »

CapnK wrote:I'm wondering why both of those little islands have runways. I bet it has a military history.
I assume you do know the military history of the island. That is if you are around 40 and older, and even then it could be a wrong assumption on my part. I'm betting there are plenty of people my age(40) that have no ideal the significance of Midway Island. :)
STL PARROTHEAD
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

diverg wrote:
CapnK wrote:I'm wondering why both of those little islands have runways. I bet it has a military history.
I assume you do know the military history of the island. That is if you are around 40 and older, and even then it could be a wrong assumption on my part. I'm betting there are plenty of people my age(40) that have no ideal the significance of Midway Island. :)
the hint is in the name.......
I've always wanted to got there..... I bet you could just stand anywhere on that little place and feel history!
ImageImage
diverg
Lester Polyester

Post by diverg »

STL PARROTHEAD wrote:
diverg wrote:
the hint is in the name.......
I've always wanted to got there..... I bet you could just stand anywhere on that little place and feel history!
I bet if you asked a typical college student the significance of Midway Island they would have no ideal. I wouldn't even be surprised if the did not know the significance of the following date, December 7, 1941.
STL PARROTHEAD
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: packing up 'Louie's Backyard' and heading to a concert near you!

Post by STL PARROTHEAD »

:o :o :o
but I'll bet your right! :roll:

I was lucky enough to have a dad, and husband that are WWll buffs, and I guess I caught some of the fever.......
ImageImage
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

diverg wrote:
I know the significance. Just kinda funny the way the old runways were let go. :)
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

RinglingRingling wrote:
diverg wrote:
I know the significance. Just kinda funny the way the old runways were let go. :)
The new runway is 7900 x 200 feet.....The old ones can't handle large cargo or transport Jet aircraft.....also look at the NW/SE runway....on the SE end it is being erroded away by the ocean.....Also...the smaller ones on East island are Isolated from the main island (Sand island)...so anything you brought in by air would then have to be loaded onto a boat and delivered to Sand island where the main complex is....
CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

diverg wrote:
I completely missed the name of the island. :o Of course, now it makes sense.

I hereby nominate myself for the idiot of the day award and a strong contender for the idiot of the week award.
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home
green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

Love seeing the seaplane ramp and protected lagoon. Whenever I see those ramps leading down into the water I think of the Pam-Am Clippers. To be able to travel in that style, to me, would be heaven.

Damn Hitler and Hirohito for starting a war which required long range bombers, which required good, long airstrips, which negated the need for private funding of airfield construction which made sea planes un-economical.
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

green1 wrote:Love seeing the seaplane ramp and protected lagoon. Whenever I see those ramps leading down into the water I think of the Pam-Am Clippers. To be able to travel in that style, to me, would be heaven.

Damn Hitler and Hirohito for starting a war which required long range bombers, which required good, long airstrips, which negated the need for private funding of airfield construction which made sea planes un-economical.
It is my fantasy to re-design the boeing 314, update the wing and equip it with turbo props and start a "Vintage Flying Cruise" airline....like a cruise ship but you land in a different port each afternoon and expolore the island...... 8) 8) 8) 8)
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

Dutch Harbor PH wrote:
green1 wrote:Love seeing the seaplane ramp and protected lagoon. Whenever I see those ramps leading down into the water I think of the Pam-Am Clippers. To be able to travel in that style, to me, would be heaven.

It is my fantasy to re-design the boeing 314, update the wing and equip it with turbo props and start a "Vintage Flying Cruise" airline....like a cruise ship but you land in a different port each afternoon and expolore the island...... 8) 8) 8) 8)
That would be amazing...but so expensive only the ultra rich could afford it
ImageImage

Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm

C-Dawg wrote:
Dutch Harbor PH wrote:

That would be amazing...but so expensive only the ultra rich could afford it

And why it remains my fantasy...... :( :( :( :-?

....Calling Jimmy.....Calling Jimmy...Come in Jimmy....
diverg
Lester Polyester

Post by diverg »

Here is another one. No cheating on which island it is.

green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

diverg wrote:Here is another one. No cheating on which island it is.

Mt Suribachi never looked quite the same after the US Navy got ahold of it.

The largest bronze statue in the world sits in Arlington just outside the national cemetary to commemorate the amazing sacrifices endured by the US Marines on the hell hole called Iwo Jima.

The plan was for the navy to blast away at the moutain and decimate the canon and other fighting positions located there. You can see from this angle the murderous flanking fire that postion could deliver to the beach on the right side of the picture. That beach was the primary landing zone for the Marines. The first wave actually landed on a quiet beach. Didn't stay that way long. The Navy could not dig out the gun positions carved into Suribachi, and it took the Marines to go over that ground and silence those guns one by one. Even after the flag was raised (the image immortalized in Arlington) there were still days of hard fighting before the island was secure.
Last edited by green1 on April 10, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diverg
Lester Polyester

Post by diverg »

green1 I knew that was a softball I threw. I wonder what gave it away. ;)
green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

diverg wrote:green1 I knew that was a softball I threw. I wonder what gave it away. ;)
The mountain (or more appropriately Volcano) and the exposed beach on the right.
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm