FL Keys / Key West

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: FL Keys / Key West

Post by Dr.Corona »

Looking for a recommendation on places to stay in the Keys/KW for a single person somewhat on the cheap
With my wife passing on recently I think I've been inspired to "Get Lost" in the Keys over our anniversary date this coming May. I've got free airfare to Lauderdale....so I think I'll rent a convertible & find my way to KW & back over a 5-6 day period.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
Gypsy In The Palace
I Love the Now!

Post by Gypsy In The Palace »

Dr.Corona wrote:Looking for a recommendation on places to stay in the Keys/KW for a single person somewhat on the cheap
With my wife passing on recently I think I've been inspired to "Get Lost" in the Keys over our anniversary date this coming May. I've got free airfare to Lauderdale....so I think I'll rent a convertible & find my way to KW & back over a 5-6 day period.
When I was there in January, I stayed at the Fairfield Inn. The rooms were a little on the small side, but that was okay because I only was in there to sleep and rest anyway. The rooms consisted of tile floors and a great shower. The pool was awesome, and they also had a nice poolside tiki bar. It is a little off the beating path (about a mile or two to Duval Street), and there is some road construction going on that made it a little hard to get in and out of. But, overall, I had a great stay and would not hesitate to stay there again.
iamapieceofwork
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: at the moment: Tin Cup Chalice , One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one I have with my friends!

Post by iamapieceofwork »

im excited that there is a possibility of me going down to the Keys this june for Meet Me in the Keys 2013 :D :)
I wanna be there
Wanna go back down and lie beside the sea there
With a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine
And Im a chewin on a honeysuckle vine
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Anyone know anything about the Key West Bed & Breakfast on Willams Street?
pema
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pema »

Dr.Corona wrote:Anyone know anything about the Key West Bed & Breakfast on Willams Street?
I've never stayed there but I've heard good things about it.
Erin Image

"Wishing I was knee deep in the water somewhere
Only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair"
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

iamapieceofwork wrote:im excited that there is a possibility of me going down to the Keys this june for Meet Me in the Keys 2013 :D :)
I'd be all about this but I'd have to use a boatload of my free air miles for that weekend. Will keep tuned into the details but probably not gonna make it. Enjoy it P.O.W.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Dr.Corona wrote:Anyone know anything about the Key West Bed & Breakfast on Willams Street?
you are a ways from downtown if you stay there. quiet, decent rooms. Friends of mine stay there when they go down, have never said anything but good about it. Staff is friendly and helpful, and the rates are pretty good.
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Key West B&B Sounds promising......especially $$ wise.
Thanks for the input!
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Done deal.......May 3rd through May 6th!

In the words of Howard Livingston...."Meet Me In The Keys"!
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Dr.Corona wrote:Looking for a recommendation on places to stay in the Keys/KW for a single person somewhat on the cheap

Wow dude, didnt hear about the wife. Im so sorry buddy.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

msu#1 wrote:

Wow dude, didnt hear about the wife. Im so sorry buddy.
Appreciate the condolences.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Sorry to hear about the passing of your wife. I hope that you will enjoy your trip to Key West.

Debbie
pupnpony
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 2

Post by pupnpony »

so sorry to hear about your wife. You'll be in town just in time for the weekend of the Songwriter's Festival -- you'll be hearing lots of good music all over the place.
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

pupnpony wrote:so sorry to hear about your wife. You'll be in town just in time for the weekend of the Songwriter's Festival -- you'll be hearing lots of good music all over the place.
Looking forward to it. Not familiar with the music of anyone other than Brent Burns & John Frinzi. I've heard of Robert Earl Keen but not familiar with his music.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Dr.Corona wrote:
pupnpony wrote:so sorry to hear about your wife. You'll be in town just in time for the weekend of the Songwriter's Festival -- you'll be hearing lots of good music all over the place.
Looking forward to it. Not familiar with the music of anyone other than Brent Burns & John Frinzi. I've heard of Robert Earl Keen but not familiar with his music.
Keen opened for Jimmy at the Houston show in 2007, and he played at MotM last year. Good stuff. Basic Austin Americana/ Roots Rock.

Given you are going to be there for a while, make sure to stop by El Siboney (900 Catherine St., corner of Margaret and Catherine, 2 blocks south of Truman, about 6 west of White St.) for a good meal or two. :)

as for artists, Chris Rehm is good (and a heck of a nice guy), Thom Shepherd stalked me all over the island last MotM, and Smokin' Tuna is a pretty good venue, as is M'ville.

enjoy the trip, and while it will be hard I'm sure, try to leave "the world " on the approaches to the Bridge at Stock Island. KW is a good place to just let time drift when you are on a run.
PHarmGirl
Behind Door #3

Post by PHarmGirl »

So sorry about your wife! :( We stayed at http://travelerspalm.com the last time we were in Key West. It is right across the street (diagonally) from El Siboney Restaurant, which you must try. They have a decent pool for a small inn in Key West, and they have bicycles you can rent on a daily basis. We would definitely stay there again. We stayed in a studio room which was very reasonable. Have fun!
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

PHarmGirl wrote:
So sorry about your wife! :( We stayed at http://travelerspalm.com the last time we were in Key West. It is right across the street (diagonally) from El Siboney Restaurant, which you must try. They have a decent pool for a small inn in Key West, and they have bicycles you can rent on a daily basis. We would definitely stay there again. We stayed in a studio room which was very reasonable. Have fun!
The #1, Puerco Asado, with the black beans and yellow rice, and a Presidente or a Negra Modelo... mmmmmmm....
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Dr.Corona wrote:Done deal.......May 3rd through May 6th!

DUDE!!!!

I will be in Key West during that time
can I PM you my number so we can meet (not Meat) up??
Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

ragtopW wrote:

DUDE!!!!

No problem.....If indeed they have such a thing as phone service in the keys.
I thought that's why you went there.....to leave modern conveniences behind! :o :wink:
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Dr.Corona wrote:
ragtopW wrote:

DUDE!!!!

No problem.....If indeed they have such a thing as phone service in the keys.
I thought that's why you went there.....to leave modern conveniences behind! :o :wink:
It's all party-lines