Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz?

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz?

Post by spartan1979 »

Has anyone used any of these sites to book flights? Any problems with any of them. Are any of them better than the others?

Thanks.

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz?

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

I've used Expedia and Orbitz, never had a problem with either but I've noticed recently that the flights I've looked at have been cheaper on their airlines own website. It definitely pays to compare. Plus many of the cheaper airlines aren't available via the travel sites.

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:I've used Expedia and Orbitz, never had a problem with either but I've noticed recently that the flights I've looked at have been cheaper on their airlines own website. It definitely pays to compare. Plus many of the cheaper airlines aren't available via the travel sites.
also I use Kayak.. it compares all sources..
(but like BEG said.. none of the "bargin airlines")

Brown Eyed Girl
Nibblin' on Oreos

Post by Brown Eyed Girl »

ragtopW wrote:
Brown Eyed Girl wrote:I've used Expedia and Orbitz, never had a problem with either but I've noticed recently that the flights I've looked at have been cheaper on their airlines own website. It definitely pays to compare. Plus many of the cheaper airlines aren't available via the travel sites.
also I use Kayak.. it compares all sources..
(but like BEG said.. none of the "bargin airlines")
Thanks Wayne..."bargain airlines" does sound better than 'cheap'. :lol: I couldn't think of what I wanted to say...it was pre-coffee. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to try Kayak next time, I've heard a lot about it. I knew I was flying SWA to PHX so I didn't bother looking anywhere else.

spartan1979

Post by spartan1979 »

We usually fly SWA, but they don't go to Cabo.

lilsalty
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Mic's Nilla Killa...SDB, BVI

Post by lilsalty »

We just used travelocity...what I don't like is the inflexibility in case you want to change your vacation. We wanted to stay one extra day in KW, but it wouldve cost us a ton to change it! I'm going back to the old way of booking air & hotel separately--I like the freedom it gives me to change :)
"Clive!! The cooler!!" -- CDIII aboard the Shamwari, BVI.

z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

I use orbitz to check schedules and prices across airlines, but then go to the airline websites to book tickets
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

Calypso Poet 99
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Calypso Poet 99 »

I'll go to Travelocity or one of the other sites and find the flight I want and then go to the airlines own website and book it there. Its usually a few bucks cheeper.
Each day is better than the next.

-Woogy

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

also for Frontier check on Kayak then go to the
site.. they have a "Tier" system first tier you pay for Bags and Directv..
second tier (they take 2 bags free and they pay for Directv)
third tier is more service.

just an example BOI to IND.. $240 Plus bag fees $15 and $25 (each way) =$320
+ Directv ($5 each segment=$20) = TOTAL $340

second tier? $290 and no fees.... 8) 8) 8)

tikitatas
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by tikitatas »

Calypso Poet 99 wrote:I'll go to Travelocity or one of the other sites and find the flight I want and then go to the airlines own website and book it there. Its usually a few bucks cheeper.

That's what I do, although, I've had great deals with Travelocity, too. Used them to book to Newark in June. So simple.
Cate

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." ~ Buddha

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

For simple trips I've been known to use any and all. I also like Kayak as a search tool but not as a place to book the travel. What I dislike about all 3 of these online travel agencies is the lack of service when there is a problem, be it weather related or anything else, my experience is that you end up on hold forever and when you finally get through to someone, they aren't very helpful.

I notice that frequently on holidays and busy travel weekends, they seem to have a come on price but when you go to confirm it, it comes back with a high priced option. I was told by someone at Travelocity that this is a result of the technology they use. Something about their displays not being live and in real time so that sometimes the low price you saw at the start of the process has sold out while you were booking it.

I recall that Travelocity and Orbitz both got some negative press when it came out that they use cookies to determine if you are a first time visitor or not. If you are, they were giving better deals than if you were a returning customer.

The other issue I have with all three is their terms of service, where you basically sign an agreement saying that anything goes wrong, your fault, their fault, nobody's fault, they aren't responsible.

On complex trips or packages, I always check with my travel agent. She's been great to work with and I know if there is a problem, she will take care of me. Yes, I pay her a fee for her expertise however it is really nice to be able to give her dates and destinations and have her come back to me with options, some that I never would have come up with on my own and others that are fairly predictable. She also makes certain that my documentation is in order for international travel and that is a lifesaver.

So shop around for as long as you want, just be very careful when you are purchasing online to make sure that you are getting what you think you are getting.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

sidestep.com. It looks at the websites for travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc., but also the airlines as well.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

pamesoo
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found Me A Home
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Lulu's Bama Breeze

Post by pamesoo »

NEVER, EVER, EVER Travelocity!!!! Their little gnome is useless...we bought a hotel/flight package to Key West. They had hurricane (minor...as hurricanes go), our hotel shut down but airport did not. They would refund hotel but not air. We paid three times as much for accomodations because they would not help...and spent days looking for that! Got no response from senior management when corresponding with them. OOoooo...I'm just saying...there are other options besides Travelocity. Have had good luck with both expedia, and orbitz as well as others.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

I've used all three at one time or another. Also have booked with travel agents, and the airline websites. Never had an issue with any of them. :)

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

popcornjack wrote:sidestep.com. It looks at the websites for travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc., but also the airlines as well.
Sidestep is the same as Kayak, as they are the same engine with slightly different GUIs.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

alaura1974
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day!
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum, Pama in diet squirt

Post by alaura1974 »

:cry: ouch! Definitely a travel agent!!

At least at my agency, we never charge a fee for booking unless it is just a flight, then we do have a small service fee.
If you find the package cheaper online we will beat the online price, as we are supposed to have the lowest package prices out there.

Just to let you all know also, ALL airlines with the exception of Southwest charge fees if you want to change your flights. They will charge a flat fee, plus any increase in fare no matter what.

With Southwest, you can change your flight at any time, and the only thing that you may have to pay is the difference in cost of the new ticket if there is one!!

Stick with Southwest when you can, but no, they definitely do not fly to Cabo!! I wish they did!

spartan1979

Post by spartan1979 »

I ended up using kayak and AA had the best prices. Kayak took me directly to their website. Prices were pretty good $409 roundtrip, St Louis to Cabo. I had looked last year and it was over $600.

Of course, the front page of the paper now has a story about swine flu in Mexico.

Quint
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Quint »

Speaking from my own personal experience yesterday... I was booking for San Antonio from Key West. Of coarse I wanted Capt Kirk to do some negotiating for me. Negotiator my ass. He had the highest prices out there.

I did look at Expedia but I did not like the way thier web page was set up. It just was not easy to read. Too easy for me to make a mistake while booking.

I ended up with Travelocity. They had the best price over all. I liked how I could customize my flight plans. Since all the flights I had been looking at did not meet what I wanted. See, I wanted to leave Kdubs as early as possiable and leave San Antonio as late as possiable. I remember on all the other sites there was one that had me leaving SA at 5:20 AM. No. no. no. That simply would not work :)

With Travelocity I was able to seperatly book my going there and coming back flights. They then put them together and gave me a decent price. It was a little higher then who I normally go with. But it was fair and was still lower then anyone else.

The one I normally go with when fly is Cheap O air. I know it sounds really bad. But they do have the best prices and I have never had any problems with them. except yesterday when all the flights I wanted were all ready sold out. But I guess that is not thier fault. They should probly just remove those flight listings though so someone like me does not waste time looking at it and trying to book it that it is sold out.

As for hotels. I always do my own booking on that. I look on the internet for the best deals and packages. Then I call the hotel front desk myself and book through them. If it is a national chain I look up the hotels local number to make sure I am talking to someone at the front desk rather then a reservation agent on an 800 line that is not even in that city. I am always sure to inquire about packages and what not.

All though it was kind of funny. Yesterday when the girl at The Omni answered the phone I told her I was interested in pacakages. She put me on hold, I was transfered to " Louis " at Omni Loss Prevention. :) No... room packages , not lost packages. :)
" I am but just a small bug on the windshield of life"

Karacal
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Diet Coke

Post by Karacal »

I have used Expedia several times with no problems but I do compare prices with other sites.
Barbara

Image Image

srkmrd
Hoot!

Post by srkmrd »

For airlines I have always found that the airline direct sites are the cheapest. I may use on of the sites to see what airline may be best for where I am going but I always end up booking air direct.

Hotels are another story.....I use priceline a lot and if you do a little homework at www.biddingfortravel.com, you can get some outragously good deals in most major citys. For example we regulary get 4* hotels in Austin and Dallas for around $55 - $80.
I have never used it outside the US though......