Outer Banks

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Outer Banks

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

When is the best time of the year to visit the Outer Banks of NC? I don't like crowds or high prices or cold weather. Recommendations for places to stay and visit?
Back to livin' Floridays

carolinapiratechik
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: I'm a beer girl

Re: Outer Banks

Post by carolinapiratechik »

This summer will be my 19th summer vacation in the OBX. While we go in July, because I like it really hot (and it is), we used to go the first week after Labor Day which helps with the crowds and is cheaper than in the middle of summer. But the problem with Sept. is that the hurricanes tend to be more frequent and three of my vacations have included hurricanes.

We stay in Nags Head at the Beacon Motor Lodge. Although it is a 1950's motel, the rooms are small but clean and if you get one of the beach front rooms, you literally walk 15 feet from your door to the beach...which is why we stay there.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do. Only 100 more days until I'm there!!!
My pal, Groovy
Save a life, adopt a pet
Adopted Aug. 11, 2010
http://carolinapoodlerescue.org/

big john
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Oh just give me a beer

Post by big john »

First week of June. :pirate:
Who's got the rum?

jamesmiller
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jamesmiller »

I went there in the month of august last year.Weather is very pleasant.It is really very beautiful place to visit.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

I have been there in April, June, July, August, September, and (late) October. I have never been run off by a hurricane, but I know plenty of people who have. I don't know much about hotel rates, but house rental prices drop dramatically off-season.

doxadive
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at Forty
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry and Coke

Post by doxadive »

My favorite is the first or second week of September. Weather and water are still warm; crowds are LONG gone; everything is still open; and the rates are at least half. We've been going for 30 years and have stayed all over the Nags Head area but now prefer being by the ocean with all the luxuries. We rent through Village Realty and they do a wonderful job. Depending on what you are looking to do, how much you want to spend, etc. It can be narrowed down greatly.
if you cant laugh at yourself, laugh at someone else.