Who's Going to 20th MOTM 2011 Nov. 3-6? new list info pg 1

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Re: Who's Going to 20th MOTM 2011 Nov. 3-6? new list info pg 1

Post by TropicalTroubador »

ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:God you guys, seriously, I never said I HATED anything. I'm not JUST a Buffett fan but I can't help it if my tastes run more to the music of the CRB than others. You want me to respect your love of all things Trop Rock then let me NOT like some of it. Geez. I don't feel MOTM is a waste of my time, I support the money being raised, and like I said, I love seeing people I don't see very often. I should know that any thread where the merits of Kenny Chesney come up is a slippery slope.
I guess I'm done posting on this thread. Safe trip everybody.
Sorry Pam - I didn't mean for this to get out of control.... It is really not that big of a deal, you have said many times in the past that you don't like country and some of the Trop Rockers..no big deal. That is the thing about discussion boards, we discuss things on both sides of the coin but I didn't mean to offend. Peace.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to bring down anyone else's enjoyment either I was just responding to Matt's comment and I should have just said "Ditto" and left it at that! My bad! :roll:[/quote]

I don't think it was you that inspired me to write so much as a couple of the other "pile-ons."

Regarding "copycats," for those who seem to feel this is an issue:

I don't see why people need to rag on folks like Kenny Chesney. Mr. Chesney was selling at least as many copies as Jimmy *without* doing the beach music, as a straight-up "new country" artist. Last I looked, Jimmy sells a half-million to a million copies per album; Kenny sells several million. I don't think Kenny's doing it just for the bucks, and his two albums that were primarily beach music apparently didn't sell as well as his more solidly country stuff. To put out something like "Lucky Old Sun" in a market that demands your next album be "just like your last, only different," is not an easy thing to do, and apparently he got some pushback from his label and management when he did that album.

And once again, Jimmy didn't "invent" trop rock music. Basically, he combined country with his life experiences in Key West. He wasn't the first person to do it; he's just been one of the most successful. And he freely admits *all* of his musical influences. He knows he didn't invent this stuff. Read his bios and listen to his interviews.

The music world is big enough for Buffett, and Chesney, and Mac (who is really a country artist), and hopefully a few of us lesser lights. It's big enough for each of us to like what we like without having to diss what and whom we don't like.

I think we could all use a few days of mellowing out over drinks in Key West.

Fortunately, that's in the near future. :)

Whether y'all like what I play or not, I hope to hang out with as many of you as possible down in the place where the highway ends. It's been way too long, and I miss that part of my family.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

BeachBumJim
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration...for the moment
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cheap beer...free beer

Post by BeachBumJim »

Just noticed that it was a year ago today that I joined this place and my first post was in the "Who's going to 19th MOTM..."

viewtopic.php?p=3741122#p3741122
Hoist up the mainsail...add a little BAM to the ginger ale...

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

BeachBumJim wrote:Just noticed that it was a year ago today that I joined this place and my first post was in the "Who's going to 19th MOTM..."

Happy anniversary! :wench:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

ScarletB wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:God you guys, seriously, I never said I HATED anything. I'm not JUST a Buffett fan but I can't help it if my tastes run more to the music of the CRB than others. You want me to respect your love of all things Trop Rock then let me NOT like some of it. Geez. I don't feel MOTM is a waste of my time, I support the money being raised, and like I said, I love seeing people I don't see very often. I should know that any thread where the merits of Kenny Chesney come up is a slippery slope.
I guess I'm done posting on this thread. Safe trip everybody.
Sorry Pam - I didn't mean for this to get out of control.... It is really not that big of a deal, you have said many times in the past that you don't like country and some of the Trop Rockers..no big deal. That is the thing about discussion boards, we discuss things on both sides of the coin but I didn't mean to offend. Peace.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to bring down anyone else's enjoyment either I was just responding to Matt's comment and I should have just said "Ditto" and left it at that! My bad! :roll:
Group Hug :wink: :wink: :wink:
I could leave Matt in Miami...just saying!!!....but , we all love Meredith so i guess he has to come too!!
Hey, he's the only one on my side! Maybe he and I should have rented a car together :D[/quote]
Haha.....i'm on your side......and you will be down there days before he / we get there!!!

maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

BeachBumJim wrote:Just noticed that it was a year ago today that I joined this place and my first post was in the "Who's going to 19th MOTM..."

Happy anniversary!

My official year comes up in February, but I went and checked my old lurking screen name and realized it'll be my five year stalk-iversary in three days!
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

TropicalTroubador wrote:
I don't think it was you that inspired me to write so much as a couple of the other "pile-ons."

Regarding "copycats," for those who seem to feel this is an issue:

I don't see why people need to rag on folks like Kenny Chesney. Mr. Chesney was selling at least as many copies as Jimmy *without* doing the beach music, as a straight-up "new country" artist. Last I looked, Jimmy sells a half-million to a million copies per album; Kenny sells several million. I don't think Kenny's doing it just for the bucks, and his two albums that were primarily beach music apparently didn't sell as well as his more solidly country stuff. To put out something like "Lucky Old Sun" in a market that demands your next album be "just like your last, only different," is not an easy thing to do, and apparently he got some pushback from his label and management when he did that album.

And once again, Jimmy didn't "invent" trop rock music. Basically, he combined country with his life experiences in Key West. He wasn't the first person to do it; he's just been one of the most successful. And he freely admits *all* of his musical influences. He knows he didn't invent this stuff. Read his bios and listen to his interviews.

The music world is big enough for Buffett, and Chesney, and Mac (who is really a country artist), and hopefully a few of us lesser lights. It's big enough for each of us to like what we like without having to diss what and whom we don't like.

I think we could all use a few days of mellowing out over drinks in Key West.

Fortunately, that's in the near future. :)

Whether y'all like what I play or not, I hope to hang out with as many of you as possible down in the place where the highway ends. It's been way too long, and I miss that part of my family.

Well written Loren, and I wholeheartedly agree!
I'm ready to head down A1A to see lots of PHamily that I haven't seen in far too long!
ImageImage

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

Not wanting to beat a dead horse...My point was Cheesney copies Buffett's marketing/life style ideas almost verbatim. Pirates, Key West, etc. He is even sponsored by Corona now! He comes across as the ultimate wanna be when you package it all together. I can't think of a single artist out there who blatantly copies another artist like he does of Jimmy.
I for one like lots of trop rock artists, Cheesney just rubs me wrong with his non-original marketing, etc. I'll put good money that within 5 years he has a themed restaurant too. :roll:
Now back to the musical drunkin stupor planning! [smilie=party.gif]

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

NYCPORT wrote:Not wanting to beat a dead horse...My point was Cheesney copies Buffett's marketing/life style ideas almost verbatim. Pirates, Key West, etc. He is even sponsored by Corona now! He comes across as the ultimate wanna be when you package it all together. I can't think of a single artist out there who blatantly copies another artist like he does of Jimmy.
I for one like lots of trop rock artists, Cheesney just rubs me wrong with his non-original marketing, etc. I'll put good money that within 5 years he has a themed restaurant too. :roll:
Like I said in my first post...to each their own and I respect your opinion.
Can't wait to see you & Meredith
ImageImage

TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

NYCPORT wrote:Not wanting to beat a dead horse...My point was Cheesney copies Buffett's marketing/life style ideas almost verbatim. Pirates, Key West, etc. He is even sponsored by Corona now! He comes across as the ultimate wanna be when you package it all together. I can't think of a single artist out there who blatantly copies another artist like he does of Jimmy.
But Jimmy doesn't have a sexy tractor!!.....and he was sponsored bu Cruzan for years!!....isn't imitation the best form of flattery???

CreolaInMySoul-a
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything in an Endless Cup

Post by CreolaInMySoul-a »

TommyBahama wrote:
But Jimmy doesn't have a sexy tractor!!.....and he was sponsored bu Cruzan for years!!....isn't imitation the best form of flattery???
For me I like them both, own both of their CD's, would go to both of their concerts and restaurants, if Kenny had one. I also own several shirts of the same color and several pairs of flip flops...and I wear and like them all.
Image Image Image
Life is still a tire swing

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

CreolaInMySoul-a wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
For me I like them both, own both of their CD's, would go to both of their concerts and restaurants, if Kenny had one. I also own several shirts of the same color and several pairs of flip flops...and I wear and like them all.
I like Chesney.....saw him 3 times....once from the Sandbar.......the guy puts on a high energy entertaining show......i had a autographed Chesney UCONN football jersey he signed....i gave it to our Vanessa...she had it framed....looks awesome!!.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

I figure if JB doesn't get p*ssed at Kenny, no reason I should. I like Kenny's music and he puts on a great show.

Besides, there's bigger sh*t to worry about than who's copying whom. As long as they keep making music I like I don't give a rat's azz about the rest of the drama.

As to who likes what, to each his own. We intersect at Buffett, good enough for me. Some of you love metal, not sure I could sit through a metal concert. If I dragged some of you to Neil Diamond or Josh Groban, you'd hurl. To each his own, let's celebrate the commonality instead of grating on each other about the differences. :wink:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I figure if JB doesn't get p*ssed at Kenny, no reason I should. I like Kenny's music and he puts on a great show.

Besides, there's bigger sh*t to worry about than who's copying whom. As long as they keep making music I like I don't give a rat's azz about the rest of the drama.

As to who likes what, to each his own. We intersect at Buffett, good enough for me. Some of you love metal, not sure I could sit through a metal concert. If I dragged some of you to Neil Diamond or Josh Groban, you'd hurl. To each his own, let's celebrate the commonality instead of grating on each other about the differences. :wink:
Jen....you don't want to go to a WASP concert with me....i actually know the drummer, who is from or summered in Onset , MA. ...... i'd love to see Neil...Josh , i really don't know his music , but, i've heard of him!!

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

So, like Ivory soap, I'm 99 and 44/100% sure the party is on for Wednesday November 2nd. Expect a final assurance by Friday.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I figure if JB doesn't get p*ssed at Kenny, no reason I should. I like Kenny's music and he puts on a great show.

Hey, if you ever need someone to go to a Neil Diamond concert with you I'll go - I've always liked him, and it would take me back to my first love! :D Having said that I'd go see Aerosmith in a heartbeat with anyone too.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

ScarletB wrote:

Hey, if you ever need someone to go to a Neil Diamond concert with you I'll go - I've always liked him, and it would take me back to my first love! :D Having said that I'd go see Aerosmith in a heartbeat with anyone too.
always wanted to see Aerosmith!!!..it would of been awesome seeing them at Fenway with J Giels!!

maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

ScarletB wrote:

Aerosmith is one of those bands I love and I've never seen. When Steven Tyler is done with American Idol and whatever that crap was he released as a single this summer, I'm all about seeing them on tour.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

I have Air Supply on the iPod. Would love to see them. I see you over there gagging..... 8)
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I have Air Supply on the iPod. Would love to see them. I see you over there gagging..... 8)
ok.....now you're crossing the line!!!!

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

TommyBahama wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I have Air Supply on the iPod. Would love to see them. I see you over there gagging..... 8)
ok.....now you're crossing the line!!!!
I was going to say the same thing!

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8