Who's Going to Jones Beach 8/22/2013?

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

fabduo
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Who's Going to Jones Beach 8/22/2013?

Post by fabduo »

And yes he is double dosing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Re: Whos' Going TO Jones Beach 8/22/2013

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Jones Beach gets two shows and they are both middle of the week? That kind of blows.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

fabduo
Behind Door #3

Post by fabduo »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Jones Beach gets two shows and they are both middle of the week? That kind of blows.
Yes it does -most of us would take a Saturday show instead of 2 shows BUT thank goodness my boss understands and I will be at both :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Buffett did a Monday - Wednesday once in June after years of Thursday - Saturday shows on Labor Day for Great Woods. It was still fun but nowhere near as awesome. The Monday show was actually more crazy because people took long weekends. The Wednesday show felt like a Chesney tailgate or something that year. I think I napped.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

The last time I missed a Jones Beach show was 1993. That was the last time, in fact the only time, he did 2 shows at the beach and I only went to the first one. I wasn't going to make the trip back to LI this year, now I might have to think about it.

edit: Just in case, I booked a room at the Best Western in Massapequa Park for 8/19-8/23.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: Whos' Going to Jones Beach 8/22/2013?

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Any suggestions for those looking to take a bus to jones beach?

Always do camden but I am getting married that week this year?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

LIPH wrote:The last time I missed a Jones Beach show was 1993. That was the last time, in fact the only time, he did 2 shows at the beach and I only went to the first one. I wasn't going to make the trip back to LI this year, now I might have to think about it.

edit: Just in case, I booked a room at the Best Western in Massapequa Park for 8/19-8/23.

Going to do the same thing, this sounds like a long weekend in the making. I'd just do the Thursday show if my travel buds can make it as well.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

ScarletB wrote:
LIPH wrote:The last time I missed a Jones Beach show was 1993. That was the last time, in fact the only time, he did 2 shows at the beach and I only went to the first one. I wasn't going to make the trip back to LI this year, now I might have to think about it.

Going to do the same thing, this sounds like a long weekend in the making. I'd just do the Thursday show if my travel buds can make it as well.

"Dope slaps self" I have tickets for something at Tanglewood that Sunday, so there goes the long weekend plan.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

FinsUp6835 wrote:Any suggestions for those looking to take a bus to jones beach?

Always do camden but I am getting married that week this year?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Do you mean renting a bus, like a party bus, or going by public transportation? Until 3 months ago I lived on LI and I always just drove to the beach so I've ever gone by bus. I don't know about a party bus, though I'm sure it's possible. You can get to Jones Beach using public transportation - take the Long Island Railroad to the Freeport station where you can get a bus to the beach. Since I've never done it, I'm not sure how often the buses run or how late the last one leaves the beach to get back to the train station. The LIRR runs 24 hours a day so it wouldn't be a problem getting a train at night, but you might have to wait an hour or more depending how late you got back to the station. The down side of this is there are good sections of Freeport and bad sections of Freeport. The train station is not in one of the good sections.

dewyduster
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by dewyduster »

We are switching our annual bus trip from Great Woods to Jones Beach. Someone mentioned that you need to get there before 6 am to ensure a spot in the lot. I'm hoping that since there are 2 shows, and they are mid-week, we can get there around 10:30 or so and be able to park.
~Len
Been stuck here so long down on zero, I'd just like to make it to one
Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

The lots at Jones Beach used to open at sunrise but the last couple of years, due to budget cuts in the state park system, some of the lots don't open until 10. Even if they open earlier, you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot, you just might have to park at the far end of the lot instead of close to the theater. And unlike most venues, they don't tell you where to park. You drive into the lot and park wherever you want to park.

dewyduster
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by dewyduster »

LIPH wrote:The lots at Jones Beach used to open at sunrise but the last couple of years, due to budget cuts in the state park system, some of the lots don't open until 10. Even if they open earlier, you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot, you just might have to park at the far end of the lot instead of close to the theater. And unlike most venues, they don't tell you where to park. You drive into the lot and park wherever you want to park.
Awesome. Thanks for the intel Larry.
~Len
Been stuck here so long down on zero, I'd just like to make it to one
Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

For any out of towners coming to the show, Jones Beach is a state park and you have to pay to park. Last year it was $10 for cars, I don't know if they charge extra for buses or RVs. You can't pay at the lot. When you're driving to the beach you'll be on either the Meadowbrook Parkway or the Wantagh Parkway. Both parkways have toll booths as you're approaching the beach. You pay the parking fee there and they give you a ticket that you have to show the attendant when you get to the lot.

fabduo
Behind Door #3

Post by fabduo »

LIPH wrote:For any out of towners coming to the show, Jones Beach is a state park and you have to pay to park. Last year it was $10 for cars, I don't know if they charge extra for buses or RVs. You can't pay at the lot. When you're driving to the beach you'll be on either the Meadowbrook Parkway or the Wantagh Parkway. Both parkways have toll booths as you're approaching the beach. You pay the parking fee there and they give you a ticket that you have to show the attendant when you get to the lot.

Or if you come off Ocean Parkway you pay as you go into the lot :) -Easiest in and out off that road
ImageImageImageImage

IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7

Post by IrishPirate »

Us too! Not sure which show we'll do yet!

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

fabduo wrote:
LIPH wrote:For any out of towners coming to the show, Jones Beach is a state park and you have to pay to park. Last year it was $10 for cars, I don't know if they charge extra for buses or RVs. You can't pay at the lot. When you're driving to the beach you'll be on either the Meadowbrook Parkway or the Wantagh Parkway. Both parkways have toll booths as you're approaching the beach. You pay the parking fee there and they give you a ticket that you have to show the attendant when you get to the lot.

Or if you come off Ocean Parkway you pay as you go into the lot :) -Easiest in and out off that road
Really? I tried paying on my way into the lot one year and they wouldn't let me.

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Hmmmm. Have got some air miles I can use to get into LaGuardia.

If I zip in on Wednesday & bug back out on Friday any suggestions as to itinerary/logistics (transportation/accommodations/etc.) other than day of the show?
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Dr.Corona wrote:Hmmmm. Have got some air miles I can use to get into LaGuardia.

If I zip in on Wednesday & bug back out on Friday any suggestions as to itinerary/logistics (transportation/accommodations/etc.) other than day of the show?
The Best Western in Massapequa Park is probably the most reasonable hotel you can find. There's a Marriott in Uniondale (right next to the Nassau Coliseum where the Islanders play) that's a much quicker trip to the beach but I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. If you fly into LaGuardia I would suggest renting a car unless you can get someone to pick you up when you get there and take you back when you're leaving. A cab from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park would probably be at least $75 each way. A cheaper, but roundabout, way to get to the hotel would be to take a cab from the airport to Penn Station, it was about $30-$35 the last time I did it 2 years ago, then take the LIRR to Massapequa Park, the Best Western is just a little down the road from the train station. If you rent a car, it's probably about 45 minutes from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park, unless you have the bad luck to get stuck in rush hour traffic. Then it could take twice as long.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

LIPH wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:Hmmmm. Have got some air miles I can use to get into LaGuardia.

The Best Western in Massapequa Park is probably the most reasonable hotel you can find. There's a Marriott in Uniondale (right next to the Nassau Coliseum where the Islanders play) that's a much quicker trip to the beach but I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. If you fly into LaGuardia I would suggest renting a car unless you can get someone to pick you up when you get there and take you back when you're leaving. A cab from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park would probably be at least $75 each way. A cheaper, but roundabout, way to get to the hotel would be to take a cab from the airport to Penn Station, it was about $30-$35 the last time I did it 2 years ago, then take the LIRR to Massapequa Park, the Best Western is just a little down the road from the train station. If you rent a car, it's probably about 45 minutes from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park, unless you have the bad luck to get stuck in rush hour traffic. Then it could take twice as long.
Can you repeat that. :)
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

No :lol:

And let me just throw this out there for consideration. Do not, under any circumstances, stay at any of the hotels in the vicinity of JFK airport. You can thank me the next time you see me.