Who's Going to Jones Beach 8/22/2013?

Meet up with some of your friends from BN and find out who's going to the show

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ContinentalDrifterIII
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita-Rocks-Salt

Re: Whos' Going to Jones Beach 8/22/2013?

Post by ContinentalDrifterIII »

:pirate: I'M SEEING DOUBLE! 2 JONES BEACH DATES!!!! LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!!
GET YOUR BLUE CUPS!!!
YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IF YOU DON'T START IN THE MORNING

JoNeS BeAcH 8/21/14

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

We are leaning (stumbling) toward the Thursday show. Coming from Jersey, probably only doing one. Also want to go to AC and GW, like last year ...
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove

dewyduster
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by dewyduster »

sistergoldenhair wrote:We are leaning (stumbling) toward the Thursday show. Coming from Jersey, probably only doing one. Also want to go to AC and GW, like last year ...
At least with the Thursday show you can make a long weekend out of it. When we used to do the Thursday GW show, I would be just about sobered up by Sunday.
~Len
Been stuck here so long down on zero, I'd just like to make it to one
Image Image

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

dewyduster wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:We are leaning (stumbling) toward the Thursday show. Coming from Jersey, probably only doing one. Also want to go to AC and GW, like last year ...
At least with the Thursday show you can make a long weekend out of it. When we used to do the Thursday GW show, I would be just about sobered up by Sunday.
Good point
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

LIPH wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:Hmmmm. Have got some air miles I can use to get into LaGuardia.

If I zip in on Wednesday & bug back out on Friday any suggestions as to itinerary/logistics (transportation/accommodations/etc.) other than day of the show?
The Best Western in Massapequa Park is probably the most reasonable hotel you can find. There's a Marriott in Uniondale (right next to the Nassau Coliseum where the Islanders play) that's a much quicker trip to the beach but I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. If you fly into LaGuardia I would suggest renting a car unless you can get someone to pick you up when you get there and take you back when you're leaving. A cab from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park would probably be at least $75 each way. A cheaper, but roundabout, way to get to the hotel would be to take a cab from the airport to Penn Station, it was about $30-$35 the last time I did it 2 years ago, then take the LIRR to Massapequa Park, the Best Western is just a little down the road from the train station. If you rent a car, it's probably about 45 minutes from LaGuardia to Massapequa Park, unless you have the bad luck to get stuck in rush hour traffic. Then it could take twice as long.
So if I nix the rental car thing is there public transport headin' towards the beach or do I rely oh Taxi/BN gratitude?
Extra incentive for roadtrippin' for the Thursday nighter as Detroit Tigers travel to Citi Field to take on the Metropolitans Friday night & Sat. afternoon! :pirate:
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

My non-BN out of town friends always stay at the Best Western when they come in for the Jones Beach shows. When I lived on LI, I met them there the morning of the show and there were always a lot of BNers there so you shouldn't have a problem getting a ride to the show.

If you decide to take in a ballgame, the LIRR stops at Citi Field on game days, they call the station Mets Willets Point. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe less, to walk from the station to the ballpark. Just make sure you buy a round trip ticket before you get on the train. I went to 3 games last year and the ticket office at the LIRR station at Citi Field was closed all 3 times. Use the ticket vending machines at the station, if you buy a ticket on the train they charge extra, I think about $5.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

LIPH wrote:My non-BN out of town friends always stay at the Best Western when they come in for the Jones Beach shows. When I lived on LI, I met them there the morning of the show and there were always a lot of BNers there so you shouldn't have a problem getting a ride to the show.

If you decide to take in a ballgame, the LIRR stops at Citi Field on game days, they call the station Mets Willets Point. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe less, to walk from the station to the ballpark. Just make sure you buy a round trip ticket before you get on the train. I went to 3 games last year and the ticket office at the LIRR station at Citi Field was closed all 3 times. Use the ticket vending machines at the station, if you buy a ticket on the train they charge extra, I think about $5.
Sounds promising. thanks!

fabduo
Behind Door #3

Post by fabduo »

LIPH wrote:
fabduo wrote:
LIPH wrote:For any out of towners coming to the show, Jones Beach is a state park and you have to pay to park. Last year it was $10 for cars, I don't know if they charge extra for buses or RVs. You can't pay at the lot. When you're driving to the beach you'll be on either the Meadowbrook Parkway or the Wantagh Parkway. Both parkways have toll booths as you're approaching the beach. You pay the parking fee there and they give you a ticket that you have to show the attendant when you get to the lot.

Or if you come off Ocean Parkway you pay as you go into the lot :) -Easiest in and out off that road
Really? I tried paying on my way into the lot one year and they wouldn't let me.
I go in that way every year since I take the Robert Moses Causeway -and every year I pay as I enter the lot
ImageImageImageImage

dewyduster
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by dewyduster »

Image days...

OK I admit it's probably too early to start counting down but I need something to get me through the doldrums :D
~Len
Been stuck here so long down on zero, I'd just like to make it to one
Image Image

Cane Garden Bay
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by Cane Garden Bay »

Woo-Hoo !!! So excited to get 2 JB@JB shows especially when we're only 8 miles from Jones Beach !! This will give me time to get the Tiki Bar ready to go with ice cold beer & Margaritas on Tap !!! Larry, you'll have to venture back up to LI for the tiki bar, free beer & Margaritas for you !!

Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

Jones Beach veterans.........are the "cheap" tickets normally just the upper deck only? How would you consider the view up there?

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

There is no lawn, so you are up in the sky instead. Have been in nosebleed last two years. It's a little disorienting after a long day of tailgating. We will be buying closer seats this year as I have had enough of the high altitude. But bad seats at a JB concerts are better than good seats at home ... at least you have a fabulous view of the water, and last year there was an awesome moonrise ... and you get to watch his boat pull away ... (boat? that's not a boat. more like yacht)

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

I so want to do this but I have tickets for something in the Berkshires that Sunday and have to drive to VT first. I guess I could leave Saturday morning and get it all done. Decisions, decisions.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

ScarletB wrote:I so want to do this but I have tickets for something in the Berkshires that Sunday and have to drive to VT first. I guess I could leave Saturday morning and get it all done. Decisions, decisions.
The Sunday before or the Sunday after?

Cane Garden Bay
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by Cane Garden Bay »

Dr.Corona wrote:Jones Beach veterans.........are the "cheap" tickets normally just the upper deck only? How would you consider the view up there?
I think the cheap tickets have a great view, you can watch Jimmy and see the beach with the waves rollong in.

nycfeat
Changing Channels

Post by nycfeat »

I love sitting at the top. You get a view of the bay and Atlantic. As for the view of the stage, I really don't pay attention. But I think I have a photo from there.

Dr.Corona

Post by Dr.Corona »

nycfeat wrote:I love sitting at the top. You get a view of the bay and Atlantic. As for the view of the stage, I really don't pay attention. But I think I have a photo from there.
Would appreciate it if you could post it!

What about the sound up there??

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

sistergoldenhair wrote:
ScarletB wrote:I so want to do this but I have tickets for something in the Berkshires that Sunday and have to drive to VT first. I guess I could leave Saturday morning and get it all done. Decisions, decisions.

After, if it were before there wouldn't be a problem. The concert is at 2:30 on Sunday
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

ScarletB wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:

After, if it were before there wouldn't be a problem. The concert is at 2:30 on Sunday
Yeah that could be exhausting

sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm

ScarletB wrote:
sistergoldenhair wrote:

burp
Last edited by sistergoldenhair on February 24, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.