Kenny's island record

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

How do you feel about Kennys island record?

Poll ended at January 15, 2005 12:35 pm

I think it will be great.
62%
What a Buffett rip off!!!
22%
depends
17%

Total votes: 78

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Some people are not gonna like Kenny no matter what.
I just bought it, think it's great. It in fact does have an island sound, just as "islandesque" as Jimmy.
Um, hello!! congas and steels drums.
If every song is about the islands, guess what? that's an island sound.

And how is it okay for Jack Johnson to make this type of music but not Kenny? I've listened to some Jack Johnson and have not noticed an island sound. Far too folky for my taste but that's just me. You'd think that if he lived in the islands he would sing about it every now and then.
To each his own.

But back to the topic at hand
This is a solid cd.
The more tropical music the better!!!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

GulfCoastPirate wrote:Not a big fan of Chesney, I just think he's too contrived in his attempt to bring 'escapism to country music.' He's doing everything he can except re-record Margaritaville to move into the sector. I'm figuring he'll try to write a novel, take flying lessons, start up a web-based radio station and open a restaurant fairly soon.

Whatever, he'll have his following. I'm sure he'll try to record more Mac, probably Peter Mayer, Roger Guth as well as getting Ralph to play on his next CD. Can Fingers be far away?

I know this is supposed to be a 'positive and supportive' thread for this no-talent guy, so I'll just zip it!
you should probably check out the Coral Reefer section and see what former Reefer Josh Leo has to say about KC.......
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
12Volt
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by 12Volt »

cowboyjunkie wrote:Just checked it out on i-Tunes. The line between well drawn metaphor and obvious cliche is hard to miss. Chesney seems to have missed it completely. Writing a song like "Island Boy" is a great example. Nothing better can be expected from Nashville and it will turn a huge profit. Chesney's music is very calculated and demographic specific. Nothing is left to chance and it sounds like pre-packaged "escapism". The latest Jack Johnson cd captures the essence of Buffett at his best while this is more of a plundering of the Buffett spirit. Chesney should just get it over with and re-record "Margaritaville" so Jimmy at least gets a royalties check.
The song "Island Boy" is written about an actual real person. The Island Boy is a friend of KC's.

Also, KC is not tryingto capture the "essence of Buffett." All but one of the songs on this CD were written while KC was vacationing down in the Islands. There all about HIS life and experiences he's lived.
kinja
Southeast of disorder

Post by kinja »

cowboyjunkie wrote:Just checked it out on i-Tunes. The line between well drawn metaphor and obvious cliche is hard to miss. Chesney seems to have missed it completely. Writing a song like "Island Boy" is a great example. Nothing better can be expected from Nashville and it will turn a huge profit. Chesney's music is very calculated and demographic specific. Nothing is left to chance and it sounds like pre-packaged "escapism". The latest Jack Johnson cd captures the essence of Buffett at his best while this is more of a plundering of the Buffett spirit. Chesney should just get it over with and re-record "Margaritaville" so Jimmy at least gets a royalties check.
I thought Bottled Drinking Water was bad enough. Now, my salt water and sand is pre-packaged too. Thanks Nashville, but I want to be where the wind and the water (and island music) are free.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

kinja wrote:
I thought Bottled Drinking Water was bad enough. Now, my salt water and sand is pre-packaged too. Thanks Nashville, but I want to be where the wind and the water (and island music) are free.

so do you buy Buffett cd's?
James William
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by James William »

So should Jim Morris, Sunny Jim and other musicians do the same?
Order "Life on the Gulf"!!! Click below!!!

kinja
Southeast of disorder

Post by kinja »

ph4ever wrote:
kinja wrote:

Sorry, I know sarcasm and metaphors don't show up well in type. I completley agree with "cowboy junkie" and used a line from the song "cowboy in the jungle" to express my feeling. Maybe I was asking too much for it to be understood. Anyway, I do like the CD, but feel that it was produced specifically to capatalize on a trend.:D :D
James William
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by James William »

kinja wrote:
No one else, but Jimmy is allowed to play Island Music huh? You do know Jimmy still records in Nashville also..well his music is mixed and mastered here.
I enjoy Kenny's Island Music it's just another option to choose from since there aren't many out there that play this kind of music. At first I was a little hesitate and didn't give it a chance. So I tossed out the attitude and thought it's ok to enjoy this and guess what I did.
Kinda reminds me of trying to get my 3 year old to try veggies..eeewww just try it you might like it.

ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

kinja wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
kinja wrote:

Sorry, I know sarcasm and metaphors don't show up well in type. I completley agree with "cowboy junkie" and used a line from the song "cowboy in the jungle" to express my feeling. Maybe I was asking too much for it to be understood. Anyway, I do like the CD, but feel that it was produced specifically to capatalize on a trend.:D :D
I don't think so. If you will look in the coral reefer section in the question and answer section with Josh Leo I believe Josh expresses his thoughts regarding KC's being a parrothead.

KC has been a parrothead for a long time as evidinced by his liner notes in his last CD
kinja
Southeast of disorder

Post by kinja »

James William wrote:
kinja wrote:
No one else, but Jimmy is allowed to play Island Music huh? You do know Jimmy still records in Nashville also..well his music is mixed and mastered here.
I enjoy Kenny's Island Music it's just another option to choose from since there aren't many out there that play this kind of music. At first I was a little hesitate and didn't give it a chance. So I tossed out the attitude and thought it's ok to enjoy this and guess what I did.
Kinda reminds me of trying to get my 3 year old to try veggies..eeewww just try it you might like it.
I said I like it, there is no doubt Nashville knows what they are doing. Buffett is Buffett. Island music is Island music. The problem here, in my opinion, is that KC is trying to "be" Jimmy Buffett in his life more so than in his music. On his website, you can listen to commentary about each song, and there is a letter to the fans from the islands in the same style as Margaritaville.com. Also, he mentioned his favorite artists are Bob Marley and Jackson Browne. There is nothing wrong with any of this, but he just needs to admit that he is a PH till the day he dies and people will stop bad-mouthing him. In all honesty, I will buy his CD, but maybe this should be a lesson to all of us to "Be As You Are" :D :D :D
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Why does it have to be a competition?
"Kenny's a wanna be and what" yadda yadda yadda.
The more island music the better!!!! I love the islands, play island music and if I recorded a cd today it would be islandesque, not because I'm trying to be Jimmy but maybe, just maybe because I love it. Seems to me that Kenny has island fever just like so many of us, it's just that he's an artist with a record deal with an outlet to sing about it. Should he not sing about something that is such a huge part of his life?
And remember that he was headed down this road long before "It's Five O Clock Somewhere" or Jimmy was all over CMT or GAC.
Not saying that Jimmy is/was not an influence but that does not mean he's nothing more than a clone.
If he did not move into this island sound then you could make the arguement that he's trying to be like nearly every other major country artist out there..
Last edited by sonofabeach on January 25, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
buffettita
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the day
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Today? What do ya have?

KC

Post by buffettita »

I enjoy a bit of KC every now and then. I must say that I have been on the fence as to him being a Buffett rip off. I am leaning towards no.
Why is the rum always gone?

"Be good and you will be lonesome. Be lonesome and you will be free. Live a lie and you will live to regret it. That's what living is to me "
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I've read what Josh Leo thinks of Chesney. While I respect his opinion of him, it's just that, one man's opinion, it doesn't change my outlook on him one iota. To each their own, his music is simply not my cup of tea.
James William
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by James William »

kinja wrote:
James William wrote:
kinja wrote:
I said I like it, there is no doubt Nashville knows what they are doing. Buffett is Buffett. Island music is Island music. The problem here, in my opinion, is that KC is trying to "be" Jimmy Buffett in his life more so than in his music. On his website, you can listen to commentary about each song, and there is a letter to the fans from the islands in the same style as Margaritaville.com. Also, he mentioned his favorite artists are Bob Marley and Jackson Browne. There is nothing wrong with any of this, but he just needs to admit that he is a PH till the day he dies and people will stop bad-mouthing him. In all honesty, I will buy his CD, but maybe this should be a lesson to all of us to "Be As You Are" :D :D :D
Nicely said kinja.......

kinja
Southeast of disorder

Post by kinja »

sonofabeach wrote:Why does it have to be a competition?
"Kenny's a wanna be and what" yadda yadda yadda.
The more island music the better!!!! I love the islands, play island music and if I recorded a cd today it would be islandesque, not because I'm trying to be Jimmy but maybe, just maybe because I love it. Seems to me that Kenny has island fever just like so many of us, it's just that he's an artist with a record deal with an outlet to sing about it. Should he not sing about something that is such a huge part of his life?
And remember that he was headed down this road long before "It's Five O Clock Somewhere" or Jimmy was all over CMT or GAC.
Not saying that Jimmy is/was not an influence but that does not mean he's nothing more than a clone.
If he did not move into this island sound then you could make the arguement that he's trying to be like nearly every other major country artist out there..
I personally am not making it a competition. It is just my opinion, clearly stated by , "in my opinion". I love island music too, and like I said I will buy the CD. I just thought I would share my opinion on the situation.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Jahfin wrote:I've read what Josh Leo thinks of Chesney. While I respect his opinion of him, it's just that, one man's opinion, it doesn't change my outlook on him one iota. To each their own, his music is simply not my cup of tea.
:x yeah if only Kenny were as good as the Drive By Truckers :roll: :lol:
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

sonofabeach wrote:
Jahfin wrote:I've read what Josh Leo thinks of Chesney. While I respect his opinion of him, it's just that, one man's opinion, it doesn't change my outlook on him one iota. To each their own, his music is simply not my cup of tea.

I liked your first response better
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

ph4ever wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:

me too but I did not wanna feel the wrath of Jah Almighty :lol:
ph4ever
Last Man Standing

Post by ph4ever »

sonofabeach wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:

me too but I did not wanna feel the wrath of Jah Almighty :lol:
:roll: :roll: :lol:
DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!

Post by DeactiveCarib »

sonofabeach wrote: The more island music the better!!!! I love the islands, play island music and if I recorded a cd today it would be islandesque, not because I'm trying to be Jimmy but maybe, just maybe because I love it. Seems to me that Kenny has island fever just like so many of us, it's just that he's an artist with a record deal with an outlet to sing about it. Should he not sing about something that is such a huge part of his life?
thats my philosophy too! and good points as well regarding Kenny's right to record what he wants