Sorry Mr. Chesney, nice show, but Buffett you aren't!!

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

Sorry Mr. Chesney, nice show, but Buffett you aren't!!

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

Ok, so last Friday night I went to see Kenny Chesney at Merriweather in Maryland. I am sort of a country music fan, but not much. My wife is big time, and she wanted to go see Chesney, so a few of us went. I remembered seeing a thread on here somewhat recently about Chesney being the next Buffett. Well, after my experience, he's got a long way to go.!!!
First, we got to the tailgate right at 2:00 when the gates opened. On a scale of 1-10 as a comparison to Buffett tailgate, I give it about a 2!! What a yawn. The parking lot didn't really get filled up until about 5:00 or so. And it was quiet and not much happening. We had a good time amongst the 6 of us, but overall, everyone kept to themselves.

Second, When Kenny finally got close to coming on stage, he had a video play on the stage screens of shots of him sprawled on his boat playing a guitar. Followed by him drinking Corona's on a beach. There were even about 5 beach balls flying around the front of the stage.
It was clear to me, maybe i am wrong, that he is sort of trying to create an image similar to Buffett and perhaps even try and mock his success to almost draw his fans. Especially since JB may be done soon.

Third, there was even a song he played (can't remember what it was), where he held his arm up and sang the song while getting the crowd to hold their arm up and sway side to side at different points. Clearly reminded me, of course, of FINS!!!!

Don't get me wrong, it was a decent concert. Although many people around us were sitting the whole time. But it was also evident that there is some level of Buffett "wanna be" going on. He is a Country Singer, but he appears to be trying to expand his fan base by mocking Buffett.

But in the end, the whole experience wasn't even close. Tailgate, "pre show" atmosphere, crowd enthusiasm, etc. Just didn't have it. Sorry Kenny, Buffett you aren't.

Elrod
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 37

Re: Sorry Mr. Chesney, nice show, but Buffett you aren't!!

Post by Elrod »

allucaneatbuffett wrote:On a scale of 1-10 as a comparison to Buffett tailgate, I give it about a 2!!
It must be the venue. I couldn't even rate the tailgate a 2 there for a Buffett concert.

I had heard that the place was going to be bulldozed several years ago in favor of a residential development. A pity that they didn't follow through.
"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

Feesh
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 17

Post by Feesh »

I went to one show in some $hit town known as Tallahassee as a gift to my wife. The show was average. I don't get it. I still don't. I don't like his music. Blah to him. He can't hold $hit to George Strait.
I've got a Caribbean soul I can barely control, and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Real men wear sombreros!

SDPirate40
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks At 40
Number of Concerts: 131
Favorite Boat Drink: Captn & Diet

Post by SDPirate40 »

Kenny is no Jimmy, but maybe, he is going to be bigger.

I am a huge Jimmy fan pholks, 120 shows. Nuff said.

About Kenny, he is country, he has an island flair, and I would not be surprised if he has studied the Jimmy business model and knows Jimmy will stop touring and a gap will occur.

Kenny's concerts are incredible, been to seven. The women who attend are on par with my wife, a stunner. The music is catchy, beyond country, and he is a great singer. Let's face it, Jimmy's voice is not what it once was.

The tailgates I have been to for Kenny (San Diego, Hartford, et al) all rival a Jimmy show in energy, fun, music, partying, etc. Jimmy wins on decos and people outfits. That said, nothing like country girls in short jean skirts, halter tops, boots and hats.

For me, and quite a few in informal polls at Jimmy shows, Kenny will take the torch when Jimmy moves aside to enjoy the Falcon, yacht, kids, NY life, etc.

Is Kenny better? Come on, he is just different. Time will tell if he has it like Jimmy, but so far, we think Kenny's shows are just as much fun. Kenny has made a fortune. Jimmy has made a fortune. Good for these guys.

Me? just enjoying concerts, tailgates, Ipod, and life on the water.
Boats, (Tour) Buses, Bentleys, Bars & Babe (wife)

22 years of Buffett with 131 shows and counting!

Feesh

Post by Feesh »

Riddle me this. Leave Jimmy out of it. Let's talk country music.

Rank the Kenny songs to George Strait. Do they add up?
I've got a Caribbean soul I can barely control, and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Real men wear sombreros!

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

I've been to a couple of Kenny's shows and will go again when I get the opportunity. I got my money's worth and then some.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Feesh wrote:Leave Jimmy out of it. Let's talk country music.
I'll second this. :)

The rest? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Feesh

Post by Feesh »

SMLCHNG wrote:

Can you tell I love George and am bitter at other artists who IMO don't add up? :D

Real men wear sombreros!

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Feesh wrote:Riddle me this. Leave Jimmy out of it. Let's talk country music.

Even though they're both country they're very different. It's a little comparing apples to oranges. Totally different styles. It's also probably not fair to compare today's GS to today's CK; GS at been at this a long time...

I like both artists' songs.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Feesh

Post by Feesh »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

Even though they're both country they're very different. It's a little comparing apples to oranges. Totally different styles. It's also probably not fair to compare today's GS to today's CK; GS at been at this a long time...

And I've listened to both. George is a god in country music IMO. I think Kenny should bow down as his songs can't hold a candle to the king. Sorry - can you tell I don't like Kenny? :D :D

Real men wear sombreros!

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

Elrod wrote:
allucaneatbuffett wrote:On a scale of 1-10 as a comparison to Buffett tailgate, I give it about a 2!!
It must be the venue. I couldn't even rate the tailgate a 2 there for a Buffett concert.

I had heard that the place was going to be bulldozed several years ago in favor of a residential development. A pity that they didn't follow through.
HEY!!!! That's the first place i ever saw a full JB show!!!
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

SMLCHNG wrote:

Sis, didn't you notice? the latest trend on BN is to b**** about things. If it isn't negative, it isn't worth saying. And then the best part is the bitching about bitching, threads where people just seem to complain about everything else that people are complaining about.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love George Strait's music....but I have to give Kenny credit....he writes some of his own songs...I have a lot more respect for singers that are also songwriters.

I have a hard time putting singers so high on a pedestal that are not songwriters....and for me...that also includes Elvis.

George has a great style and voice and I really love his music. I just can't get past the fact that:
1. Every time you see him on awards shows, he holds his guitar but never really plays it.
2. He gets sent hundreds of songs to record, picks a dozen or so every year and puts together a record with the top studio musicians, poses for a few pictures to make up the booklet and he's done.
3. ...and people worship him like a God in country music.

But that's just me....I don't mean to offend anyone, heck, looking at my itunes library, I have 144 of his songs.

1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1985

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

daddymention wrote:
George has a great style and voice and I really love his music. I just can't get past the fact that:
1. Every time you see him on awards shows, he holds his guitar but never really plays it.
2. He gets sent hundreds of songs to record, picks a dozen or so every year and puts together a record with the top studio musicians, poses for a few pictures to make up the booklet and he's done.
3. ...and people worship him like a God in country music.
My thoughts on George exacty. His live show does not look earth shattering. Even on the live cd George and Alan seemed stiff when compared to Jimmy's performance.
My fave song of his is "Seashores of Old Mexico" and the video is awesome.
As for country, to me Bocephus is my fave. Like Jimmy, maybe not what he once was but still good.

A for the Kenny/Jimmy wanna be thing. If most parrotheads who knock Kenny had any musical talent to speak of,they'd probably be doing "trop rock" too.
For my tropcial fix other than Jimmy I like the indie "wanna be" acts.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

I'm sure he's fine really. But Jimmy is as close to liking country music as i get and when he's done I'll find something else to fill that tailgate time. :(
The Chesney songs would just remind me too much of what once was. I think I'd get depressed.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

Mr Play
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Mr Play »

Say what you will about his music - either you like it or you don't. The guy knows how to take care of his fans / customers though. When his Frisco concert was cut short due to severe thunderstorms, he came back for a free concert 2 weeks later. He played non-stop for 3 1/2 hours and when he ran out of his songs he did covers from the likes of the Eagles, U2, Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, George Strait, etc etc etc. Mac Macanally was onstage with him for most of the night. It was one of the most high-energy shows I've seen from anyone.

The tailgate party is what you make it. I took the Leaky Tiki to both of the Frisco shows. At the make-up concert, the video guys came out to see our setup. When they told Kenny what we were up to, he came out and got in the hot tub with us. Do a google search of Kenny Chesney Hot Tub and look at all of the links that pop up.

It was a pleasure and a hell of an evening
Truly was our night to win
But the authorities insist on my leaving
Take care my American friend

Feesh

Post by Feesh »

popcornjack wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:

Sis, didn't you notice? the latest trend on BN is to b**** about things. If it isn't negative, it isn't worth saying. And then the best part is the bitching about bitching, threads where people just seem to complain about everything else that people are complaining about.
I didn't realize that I was "b****ing" about things. Sorry if I was such a downer for not liking Kenny as much as I like George. I didn't bash anyone for liking him. It's not my cup of tea, but I don't mind that other people like him.

But, I've got a damn headache this morning!!! There's some b****ing for you.

Real men wear sombreros!

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Chesney shows are non stop and energetic.....The guy knows how to work the crowd.....as for the parking lots...i've been to 3 shows and the parties started early...only difference....younger and not as friendlier a crowd.....but a ton of drinking!!...i'd go again!!!!.....and since when is Jimmy the only person who can sing about the tropics....if i'm not mistaken..there are a lot of artist that sing about the tropics and the tropical lifestyle!!!....are they wannabe's too??

a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

SDPirate40 wrote:

For me, and quite a few in informal polls at Jimmy shows, Kenny will take the torch when Jimmy moves aside to enjoy the Falcon, yacht, kids, NY life, etc.

This is really the only thing that bothers me? Why do some people think that Buffett fans have such small minds and unable to think for ourselves? If and when Jimmy ever does retire, I will not be lead to Kenny Chesney like a herd of cattle. What torch is being passed and did anyone consult Jimmy? I have, and will continue to discover great music out there. It doesn't matter if Buffett retires or not. Kenny Chesney is not for me. No offense to anyone who enjoys Chesney. I am a Buffett fan and I don't care for Kenny Chesney! There I sad it!

msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Another thread stating that same things over and over, to quote the OP. "Yawn"

So Jimmy is the only one who can lead a crowd in a arm movement dance??? Someone call Naughty by Nature and tell them to stop.....well if you can reach 1990.

Kenny is Kenny, Jimmy is Jimmy , George is stiff old dont move a muscle George. Give it a rest.

George has tons of hit songs someone else wrote ,he has a great country voice but is soooooo boring to see live.

Kenny has high energy, songs he wrote and by others. Sometimes overproduces his shows. His love of Jimmy sometimes comes off as "mocking" when it should be considered a compliment.

Jimmy, well he is Jimmy a legend. but by his own admission doesnt have the best voice in the world and sometimes writes some terribly cheesy songs......math suks
Lake Erie Pirate scientist