Guy Clark: Songs & Stories Due 8.16.11.

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Guy Clark: Songs & Stories Due 8.16.11.

Post by Tiki Torches »

Slaid came first came to my attention back in 2000 when Brokedown was first released. Despite all the acclaim from friends, I never actually got around to picking it up until I found a used copy of it at a benefit concert several years back. That's the problem when there's so much good music out there to seek out, I just can't keep up with it all but I'm glad it kindly ended up dropping in my lap. Better late than never...
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

During the show, I was thinking that he and Townes have a lot in common. Tall, dark, thin, strong pipes, good picking skills, great storytellers and the ability to hold a room spellbound.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by DAB »

On my way to the to the airport in a couple of hours, I'll be in Texas tomorrow. :D :D
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:Just got home from seeing Slaid Cleaves in Dallas. I like him. A lot.
The only time I ever saw Guy Clark, Slaid opened for him. I thought he was really good.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

DAB wrote:On my way to the to the airport in a couple of hours, I'll be in Texas tomorrow. :D :D
Safe travels. Welcome to Texas ... see you Tuesday at Zax's in Austin!
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

LIPH wrote:
East Texas Parrothead wrote:Just got home from seeing Slaid Cleaves in Dallas. I like him. A lot.
The only time I ever saw Guy Clark, Slaid opened for him. I thought he was really good.
He's such a good songwriter ... his tunes are simple-sounding, but they're intricate and complicated on second/third/fourth pass. The new LIVE CD is good. SORROW AND SMOKE.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

DAB wrote:On my way to the to the airport in a couple of hours, I'll be in Texas tomorrow. :D :D
Welcome to TEXAS!! Surely hoping to be in Austin on Wednesday!!
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
LIPH wrote:
He's such a good songwriter ... his tunes are simple-sounding, but they're intricate and complicated on second/third/fourth pass. The new LIVE CD is good. SORROW AND SMOKE.
Slaid is such a great songwriter. I'll never for get the first time I saw him. It was also with Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson and they were doing a writers' circle thing at the Old Settlers Musicfest at the park in Round Rock, 1998 or 1999. Slaid's song that he chose to sing was almost 6 minutes long. He laughed about getting so much time. Sure got our money's worth out of that festival. I think Todd Snider and Fred Eaglesmith might have also sat in with that writers' circle.

I'm pretty sure I saw James McMurtry there that year too.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:I think he's brilliant. Love that he writes his own songs. I don't think he did one cover last night. He did bring up Townes ... which is good, but he didn't do anything but his own, rich, complicated, story-telling songs. I don't think anyone took a breath during "Lydia." He said it's his most requested song. 8)
Lydia and all the songs on Broke Down are my favorites. Nothing like the great sing alongs he did each year at Gruene Hall around Christmas time. Loved his You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch!!
Last edited by conched on October 27, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

On the McMurtry tip, he and Jason Isbell put on a hell of a show here in Raleigh last night. It's a co-headlining tour so both artists get full 1.5 hour sets. If it comes your way, it's definitely a no miss. Jason's being teamed up with some great artists this tour. In addition to McMurtry, there's Justin Townes Earle, Ryan Adams and John Prine.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Tiki Torches wrote:On the McMurtry tip, he and Jason Isbell put on a hell of a show here in Raleigh last night. It's a co-headlining tour so both artists get full 1.5 hour sets. If it comes your way, it's definitely a no miss. Jason's being teamed up with some great artists this tour. In addition to McMurtry, there's Justin Townes Earle, Ryan Adams and John Prine.
One of the reasons (besides Guy, of course) that I'm driving 5 hours to Austin is to see McMurtry do COLD DOG SOUP. It's a long way to drive for one song, but MY GAWD, he kills it. 8)
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

conched wrote:
Nancy. I can't imagine seeing THIS show without you ... you're a walking encyclopedia of Texas music. Everything I know about Texas music (except for Willis Alan) I learned from you. :wink:
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

WAR's going to be at Threadgill's tomorrow night ...

http://www.threadgills.com/

So wish I could be there.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

conched wrote:
Nancy. I can't imagine seeing THIS show without you ... you're a walking encyclopedia of Texas music. Everything I know about Texas music (except for Willis Alan) I learned from you. :wink:
Thanks, but YOU are in the KNOW!

I am doing OK...and plan to be there if we can. I think a bandaid will do the trick. I'll make it a pretty pink one! Ha ha! I could dress like a guy and wear a mustache...and not a "pencil thin" one either. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Last edited by conched on October 29, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:WAR's going to be at Threadgill's tomorrow night ...

http://www.threadgills.com/

So wish I could be there.
Oh, wish you could be there too!

If you get to Austin early enough, you just MUST check out the memorabilia at Threadgill's. It IS just up the street from Long Center.

Don't forget to watch for the bats at DUSK too!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

conched wrote:
conched wrote:
Thanks, but YOU are in the KNOW!

I am doing OK...and plan to be there if we can. I think a bandaid will do the trick. I'll make it a pretty pink one! Ha ha! I could dress like a guy and wear a mustache...and not a "pencil thin" one either. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
This post makes me very, very happy. 8)
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

So I'm quite a bit late to the game for the "Songs and Stories" cd, but I just bought it yesterday. And yes, I love it. And yes, I had to listen to Track #7 first. :D

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

phjrsaunt wrote:So I'm quite a bit late to the game for the "Songs and Stories" cd, but I just bought it yesterday. And yes, I love it. And yes, I had to listen to Track #7 first. :D
That's my girl. [smilie=battingeyes.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif] [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Trying to wrap things up here at my desk so I can be free to fly .... am headed to Austin in the morning ... meeting up with DAB and conched for the Guy Clark Tribute show tomorrow night at the Long Center.

Am listening to James McMurtry's cover of COLD DOG SOUP for about the 100th time. It takes my breath every time. Clark's great lyrics, James' unique musicality and the ghost of Townes Van Zandt. It just doesn't get any better than this.
hawaiiboy
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by hawaiiboy »

Enjoy the show folks.....I am sure it will be a great one.
No act of kindness
no matter how small
is ever wasted