In Need Of Jerry Jeff

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Re: In Need Of Jerry Jeff

Post by sonofabeach »

I've put quite a few records on on cd.
I'd love to find the "It's a Good Night for Singin" lp on wax so I could do the same to it.
I used to have it on cassette. Pretty good album.
I'm not much of a format snob anymore, how can you be with times changing?
Imo, a recording is a recording and if it sounds good, well, it sounds good.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
ChzHeadParrothead
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Favorite Boat Drink: Watermelon Margarita

Post by ChzHeadParrothead »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Anything I would want would be in the digital format. I would love to get as much as possible through some trades before going the pay route.
I do have a large collection, if you can help me with a trade, you might find something you like that I might have!! Lots of JB of course, lots of Springsteen, lots of Elvis, lots of Sinatra, plus a lot of today's country.
~~Visions of good times, that brought so much pleasure, makes me want to go back again!~~Image

J.LeP
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by J.LeP »

My first exposure to JJW was the origional Circus Maximus LP purchased in the late 60's!
John
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
VISIT: The Hanover Area Parrot Head Society - THAPHS.NET
VISIT: The Hanover Chili Cook Off - HANOVERCHILICOOKOFF.COM
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I wouldn't say I'm a "format snob" but it's fairly common knowledge amongst music fans that mp3's only represent 5% of the original sound of a recording. The general public doesn't seem to know or even care but I do. I don't want mp3's to become the only way we have to get music. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile either but I read an article not so long ago that said mp3's have made lots of folks audiophiles whether they realize or not. Neil Young, Lou Reed, T Bone Burnett and others have pleaded with the industry about this very issue and I completely agree with them. Unfortunately, to lots of people music is just aural wallpaper, I'm not one of them.

Neil Young on the travesty of mp3's
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

I've turned many songs that I recorded in studio myself from my music days to mp3s and I really can't tell the difference. It's much to do about nothin' imo.
What really sucks about mp3s to me is that you don't get the cd case and artwork and in a way it makes the recording, I don't know, less important? if that sounds right.

But back to Jerry Jeff, "Hill Country Rain" is a kick-arse lp from the 90s.
I highly recommend that one.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:I've turned many songs that I recorded in studio myself from my music days to mp3s and I really can't tell the difference. It's much to do about nothin' imo.
Most of the time I can't tell the difference either but when we're only hearing 5% of the music, there obviously is one. I also feel like it's a cause very much worth fighting for. Unfortunately far too many people (meaning the casual music consumers) just don't care.
sonofabeach wrote:What really sucks about mp3s to me is that you don't get the cd case and artwork and in a way it makes the recording, I don't know, less important? if that sounds right.
Which is another reason why I refuse to go the mp3 only route. However, I will buy vinyl that comes with a download code card. That way I get the best of both worlds. Many artists, such as the Black Crowes, Gregg Allman and others also offer the option of high resolution (lossless) downloads because they actually care about the quality of the music and don't want their fans only getting 5% of it.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

J.LeP wrote:My first exposure to JJW was the origional Circus Maximus LP purchased in the late 60's!
John
Way, way cool. I bought those two Circus Maximus albums as CDs in the 90s. I thought I had to have everything.

I saw Jerry Jeff some back in the 60s, but was too poor to ever buy much music. Willie and Waylon and Kris got my PENNIES!! (After Ricky Nelson :oops: :oops: )
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

conched wrote:
J.LeP wrote:My first exposure to JJW was the origional Circus Maximus LP purchased in the late 60's!
John
Way, way cool. I bought those two Circus Maximus albums as CDs in the 90s. I thought I had to have everything.

I saw Jerry Jeff some back in the 60s, but was too poor to ever buy much music. Willie and Waylon and Kris got my PENNIES!! (After Ricky Nelson :oops: :oops: )
Ohhhh, I loved Ricky too :D
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

sonofabeach wrote:I've turned many songs that I recorded in studio myself from my music days to mp3s and I really can't tell the difference. It's much to do about nothin' imo.
What really sucks about mp3s to me is that you don't get the cd case and artwork and in a way it makes the recording, I don't know, less important? if that sounds right.

But back to Jerry Jeff, "Hill Country Rain" is a kick-arse lp from the 90s.
I highly recommend that one.
I'm with you, Michael. I would have never even heard some of the stuff I have if I had not had my used records...mainly from dumpster diving. Ha!

Hill Country Rain really is one of the great ones.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

It was fun listening to the preshow interview--CLICK before the Miami show this year when Bing and Bong discussed Jerry Jeff's Bein Free album and how Jimmy's and Jerry Jeff's friendship all started in Miami. It also led to Jimmy getting Michael Utley to play on his album.

Mike Utley was part of the Dixie Flyers on Jerry Jeff's album, Bein Free.

Fun stuff about Jerry Jeff.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Years ago, I found an album by the late Jim Dickinson called Dixie Fried and picked it up mainly because Utley was listed in the credits. Eventually, it was released on CD but for a very long time it remained out of print in any format. Little did I know it at the time but Dickinson had produced Elvis Presley. Years later those credits would go on to include everyone from Big Star to the Replacements. These days, at least a couple of Jim's kids play in the North Mississippi Allstars.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

I know they've performed live together but you would think that Jimmy & Jerry Jeff would have done a studio recording together by now.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

That would be nice but the guy that recorded and co-wrote "Railroad Lady" with Jerry Jeff back in the 70's seems to be an almost entirely different person now. One that records duets with the likes of Bret Michaels and Lionel Richie. That's pretty far removed from the Jimmy Buffett I know and love.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Tiki Torches wrote:That would be nice but the guy that recorded and co-wrote "Railroad Lady" with Jerry Jeff back in the 70's seems to be an almost entirely different person now. One that records duets with the likes of Bret Michaels and Lionel Richie. That's pretty far removed from the Jimmy Buffett I know and love.
Seriously, (not being combative here) do you like anything by Jimmy after the 70s?
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:That would be nice but the guy that recorded and co-wrote "Railroad Lady" with Jerry Jeff back in the 70's seems to be an almost entirely different person now. One that records duets with the likes of Bret Michaels and Lionel Richie. That's pretty far removed from the Jimmy Buffett I know and love.
Seriously, (not being combative here) do you like anything by Jimmy after the 70s?
Yes, I do. I own every album he's ever released (except for One Particular Harbor [which I still need to pick up] as well as some of the Live In.. releases) but I definitely prefer his earlier output.